PDA

View Full Version : question about my bearing carrier dust seals...

Glamis400ex
07-25-2002, 07:43 PM
Hi gang,

I'll try and ex-plain this the best I can, so try and follow along...

As some of you know, I recently replaced my a arms, axle and bearings in the carrier. Everything seems to be ok except for 1 thing I noticed.

When I installed new bearings, I also did the dust seals. I had no problem putting them in flush with the outer surface of the carrier as suggested. But, when it came time to put in the axle, I really had a hard time, getting it pulled over far enough to let the splines on the nut and the axle "grab" each other, so I could put on the aftermarket nut. Everything is on, but this is what I noticed...when I pulled from the right side of the axle, to get if far enough inside the carrier, the force pushed the dust seal on the sproket side out a bit. The dust seal is like 1/4 inch wide, well, I have like 1/8 inch pushed out not, due (I believe) the pressure needed to get the axle ALL the way in. Basically, half is in, half is out. And when i roll the quad, the dust seal also rolls around. It isn't stationary.

I should mention that, I was advised to put grease between the new bearing and the dust seal, fill the gap, so to speak between the two. I'm guessing I may have put too much and this caused the dust seal to squirt out a little from being flush with the carrier. I don't think the dust seal is able to work it's way completely out of the carrier because, any of you who have the LSR +4 axle know, the inside of the sproket hub is flared out. So, the seal is nice and snug up against the sproket hub and the other half is in the carrier. I guess I'm worried that my grease will work it's way out or sand will work it's way in.....I'm probably over-reacting..

Whew....sorry guys, I hope I didn't go over board with the explanation, I just want to paint a very clear picture here.

Thanks to anyone who has had a similiar experience....

Glamis

07-25-2002, 08:06 PM
If the dust seal is turning inside the carrier then you will probably need to pull it apart and fix it. I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but if the seal is turning inside the carrier, you would probably be better off to fix it correctly than to risk messing up another set of bearings and possibly an axle. I have had trouble getting seals on the sprocket side completely flush with the carrier (a millimeter or two was sticking out) but they stayed put and worked fine. Yours might work alright as is or it might not, I've never seen one that was ridden with the dust seal spinning inside the carrier; but I'd rather be safe than sorry (I've been sorry too many times already).

I'm just wondering, did you put the grease between the bearing and seal BEFORE you installed the dust seal? If so, then the mating surface was slick and that may be why it slipped out. If you put the seal in FIRST when the mating sufaces were clean and then put the grease between the bearing and seal, then you may have put too much grease. In my experience, after installing new bearings and seals, it should take moderate pressure to pull the axle through enough to get the axle nut started, but if it was extremely dificult, then you may have had too much grease.

Glamis400ex
07-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Ky woods rider,

Thanks for the reply, very helpfull.

I installed the bearing, then the seal, then I filled the gap with grease. My guess is that I put a little too much, and the pressure, forced some grease under the outer surface of the seal, therefore causing it too spin. Also forcing it to push out a little.

So, sounds like you had the same prob with the sproket side wanting to squirt out a little too...if it wasnt spinning , I'd leave it be.

Well, I guess I'll fix it....darnit:(

Thanks

Glamis

07-25-2002, 08:33 PM
Yep, sounds like a little too much grease. Like I said, it might not ever hurt anything, but I would be afraid to try it if it was my quad. And besides, if you know you've got it fixed right, then you won't have to worry about it.

Those axles and carriers tend to be a lot of fun when you get to pull them apart and reassemble twice in a row don't they? :D :devil :D