PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r HRC kit no AIR Lid???

atvdude
03-22-2006, 03:12 PM
When i first bought my 06 i was pretty impressed but not overwhelmed compared to my 250R. I had bought the HRC kit and didnt have it installed until i broke it in. I had the shop install it so i would not void my warranty. Really didnt want them to do it being that i only trust my own work! I whent to pick it up at the shop 2 days ago and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the fastest most powerful quad i have ever ridden hands down. Felt like the power the quads have in the pros!! maybe just me lol?? I talked to the mechanic about my consern about the air box not having a lid to open it up to run with the cam and huge increase from a 120 main to a 160 main jet. the air box not being covered alows water in!!!! Wich is not good. the mechanic said it probably would not be that bad since the top of the air box is protect better than the 400ex style. He had washed the bike after they took it out to test it. I took it out and test it when i got there and was very impressed. I ran through a very small water puddle and thought nothing of it. When i got it home i thought that i would go out back and take it for a quick burn through the field when it suddenley died on me???? I had to ride it back with the choke on. Pulled it in the garage and guess what i found?? the air cleaner was a juck of ice!!!!!!!!!!! Not cool!!! I called the shop and ordered another lid to cut the top off and some how attached a pre skin to the lid. My question is does anyone have a solution?? and if so how do they run there airbox for woods racing wich will require some water travel even when you try to stay away from the stuff???

RedRacer44
03-22-2006, 03:45 PM
I've always ran NO LID on my 250R and my 450Rs....no problems here really. Something you might try though....OuterWears makes an air-box lid. I had one on my '04 450R and it helped A LOT as far as keeping filter clean/dry. Keep your stock airbox lid when you wash the bike so the filter wont get wet of course and that'll save you a lot of trouble.

Should be able to get the OuterWears lid from any shop....they're cheap too.

'06 TRX with the HRC is pretty nice but trust me, there's much more power to be had. The '06 HRC cam isnt even that aggressive compared to the HotCam and the 04/05 HRC cam. Throw in a high comp piston and get the head ported.....then you'll really have a grin on your face :devil:

400exrider0004
03-22-2006, 04:20 PM
hey guys,
im getting an 06 450r soon and I was wondering what the jetting is that comes with the HRC kit. I also want to get a Sparks Exhaust when i get the HRC kit installed, do you think the jet from the HRC kit will cover or be enough when i put the exhaust on?

GIXXER1KR
03-22-2006, 04:54 PM
i run the K&N outerware.I just spray it with 3M water repellent from Walmart!!!I never have any problems.The airbox blocks out most of the elements!!I suck water in on my 2 stroke once in a blue moon but i have too really hammer thru some small ponds and that dont have an airbox!!!!!!!And the Hrc kit is designed with a header so ull be fine with the header and slip on !!!

450rJam
03-22-2006, 04:55 PM
nope, I bet you have to re-jet. I was wondering how much dif the hrc added to the 06, I had dealer install mine before I took it home (never even heard it run stock). I dont race but would like just a bit more power and i think exhaust will get it done, Im just waiting on funds and trying to deside which one, maybe by the time i make up my mind the prices will come down (not likely)