View Full Version : what happend?

XCredrider
03-22-2006, 01:34 PM
i was out riding over the weekend and i was getting ready for a race and my r was cutting on on the top end so i started changing jets untill it ran better and after a little while of riding it started cutting out really bad and then just died. I have checked for spark and it is good and it is getting gas but just will not start. it wants to start sometimes but jus tturnes over for a second then dies. What do you guys think it is? maybe the reeds? i have a race next weekend im tryi jnto get ready for so any help is appreciated. thanks

beerock
03-22-2006, 02:47 PM
check your wire connections

mikeminyard
03-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Do you still have compression?

XCredrider
03-22-2006, 05:14 PM
it has plenty of compression and it has good spark. shocked the hell out of my finger lol

hollywood250r
03-22-2006, 06:14 PM
What is your compression. If you ignition is old you might have to reduce the spark plug gap to 0.020. Also check you stator and coil resistance.

woodsman250r
03-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Try switching out your CDI box to see if that solves it. Its worth a shot.

beerock
03-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by XCredrider
it has plenty of compression and it has good spark. shocked the hell out of my finger lol

CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS

my buddy had the same problem.... did you check them?

your ground and where all the cdi components connect?

when you changed your jets did you lean it out or richen it up? what jets did you swap and what was in it

XCredrider
03-22-2006, 07:07 PM
thats what ive been doing all night.. all look good. wouldnt that jsut prevent it from getting spark? if they are dirty and its still getting really good spark then wouldnt you rule out the electrics? unluss somehow it is sparking wrong or something?? i checked my gap and it is at .024. I had a 165 in it was running rough on top so i put in a 162 and i realized it was running funny cause the carb cap was loose so i tightend it down and it was a little lean on top so i put the 165 back in and it is a tad rich on top. A 164 would be perfect. But the spark is huge and blue and it is getting gas so where do i go from there?

beerock
03-22-2006, 08:00 PM
a bad conenction will idle fine and then break up on top so just make sure thats all.

hows your compression doing like the other guy said? thats the next step

you could have ate a ring?

XCredrider
03-22-2006, 08:22 PM
the compressio nis realy good. Still really hard t okick and the motor is brand new anyways. i know something could have done wrong but i woul dnotice if it did and it is no diff. than before. it just wotn even start now. Im gio ngto be working on it all day tomorrow so il keep you guys posted. Let me know if you think of any other reason it wont start. Ill be reading my clymer tonight i guess :cool:

beerock
03-22-2006, 09:40 PM
uhhh dumb question, change your plug?

XCredrider
03-23-2006, 01:29 PM
that is someething i need to do.. i have changed it to others that are good but not NEW. jsut old take outs that i used for jetting that had about 2 mins on them.