PDA

View Full Version : Removing Chain from my bike.

striker1001
03-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Well this weekend im goin riding but where im gona be ridin, its gona be real dirty and i think my chain is gona need a real thourough cleaning. So i was wonderin how u remove the sprockets and chain. I know how to remove the back sprcket but how do u remove the front and how do u take the cahin off the bike completely. Instructions would be awesome:) :D

03-22-2006, 12:46 PM
tot ake off the front sprocket, take the chain guard off...i believe there are two bolts holding it...then you will see 2 bolts holdinh the front sprocket on....that is the easy part...you will have to "break" the chain to get it our of the frame

underpowered
03-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Front sprocket: Remove teh black cover over the sprocket vi the two small bolts. One at the top, the other at the bottom. They should be an 8mm head. Next, take out the two bolts in teh sprocket, i believe they are 10mm head, but migh be a 12. Once those are out, take teh small plate and rotate it and pull untill it slides off teh countershaft. the sprocket should them come right off.

Chain. look for the masterlink. should have a clip on the side of the link instead of just the normal sideplate. once you find this, removing the clip can be tricky. a screwdriver and a hammer will work, but there are many methods to removing this. place the screwdriver at teh open end of the clip and tap with the hammer sto get the clip to pop off, be careful not to lose it. if this does not work, a pair of vice grips or pliers works well too by placing one jaw on the open end of the clip and the other jaw on one of the pins of the chain and closing the jaws. getting the sideplate off can be tricky as well. one method (not the best by the way) is stick a screwdriver between teh sideplate and inner chain link. work the sideplate loose until you can pull it off. the better method is using a chain-break and pushing the link out. via the pins.

Dannys440
03-22-2006, 07:43 PM
If it is a stock chain, I dont think they have a master link.If it is a stock chain what you gotta do, if you dont want to cut it, is take your swing-arm off, which is taking off the rear sprocket,and then the front sprocket(instructed above),then you got to take the swing arm bolt out.Ok here it is in short term it takes a bunch of BS to get a stock chain off,I feel that is is easier to cut it off and replace it and get a new chain.

If I am wrong about the stock chain tell me.

premiumtommy
03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
try o pressure washer or a do it yourself car wash...then just lube the chain when done

no need to remove it to clean it