PDA

View Full Version : Knarlys?

ogre
03-22-2006, 09:34 AM
I can get knarleys for about 70$ a tire...cheaper than HDS...so i was thinking about running knarley xcs 22'11'9 and a 14 tooth fs do u think this would be a good setup for XC?

ranger400ex
03-22-2006, 09:41 AM
If you are running XC your best best is the 21" Knarly XC. The XC specific Knarly lines are under prefix part# K535A. They offer both a 21" version (it measure exactly 20") and a 22" version (measure exactly 22").

The 22" is overkill for clearance, and will rob alot of power...I have run the 21" through several GNCC seasons, and local HS without one issue with hangups.

If you got any other Kenda questions, just let me know.

I am in charge of their GNCC support program this year...

Ben Wrightsman

jdboy
03-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Did you mean to say that the 21's measured 20" or was that a typo? I would like a little more clearance without robbing the quad of power.

ogre
03-22-2006, 10:38 AM
I found the regular knarleys at that size but not the XCs...and how durable are these? plus i was wondering if what u said about the 21s measuring 20 was a typo or what

underpowered
03-22-2006, 10:56 AM
the knarlys are a great tire, the XC is awesome. And the XC comes in a 21" version, not the regular knarly(mistake in the Parts unlimited book). and no, the 21" measuring 20" is not a typo. many tires on the market are not their true to their heigth marked on the sidewall. My Holeshot XC 20x11-9 are over 1 inch taller than my stock 400ex tires thaty say 20x10x9. Most tires are shorter than stated on the sidewall, as in this case. some are the actually height and a few are actually taller than stated. it is just like a 300ex is 18cc's from being a 300. the "rounding" effect is found in many aspects of this sport an any other motorsport your will find.

ranger400ex
03-22-2006, 10:58 AM
No typo...to make a long story short..the Knarlys all used to be the same...now they have several different versions/tread patterns/tread durometer for each application (MX, XC, and Desert versions)

The 20" Knarly (now called the Knarly HT)already existed..but is a DESERT/WORCS style tire..very hard compound, lasts forever, and simulates a paddle for the desert...in the woods it is terrible..but it wasn't designed for that anyway.

The MX version which Joe Byrd races and wins on is the Knarly ST.

They also came out with the new XC Knarly version, and to keep from all the confusion(even though it has caused a ton more) they decided to label it a 21" Knarly. It truly measures a 20" tire...but they labeled it differently. (Similar to quads being called a 450...but true disp is only say 439cc) The 21" or 22" XC version are just that...for XC!

Make sense?

you can find more on the tires at www.kendausa.com click on ATV then SPORT applications. Look for the K535A. You can see the other types their too

BMW

ogre
03-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah i was looking in the parts unlimimted. So can i order the part # for the 22' and ill it be a the 21? thanks for the help . nice to hear form some people who know what there talkin about

Flynbryan19
03-22-2006, 11:32 AM
No, you'll want to order the 21" if you want a true 20" tire, and you will want to order the 22" if you want a true 22" tire. The 22" is going to be massive though......

ogre
03-22-2006, 11:57 AM
The only one avaliable in the book is the 22' in the xc

underpowered
03-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
...........The 20" Knarly (now called the Knarly HT)already existed..but is a DESERT/WORCS style tire..very hard compound, lasts forever, and simulates a paddle for the desert...in the woods it is terrible..but it wasn't designed for that anyway............

Wasnt the origional name of the Knarly going to be the "Desert Dog" or something to that affect?

As far as in the woods, i have had great luck with the origional Knarly. it Went better in just general trail riding than my Holeshots ever would. i was truely impressed with them in the woods. the only spot i have found the knarly does not shine is in the snow. My worn holeshots walked all over my brothers Knarly's in the snow. they just would not hook up for anything. I am also thouroughly impressed with the XC version. it is a little softer but still seems to wear pretty good and works great in the woods. It almost hooks up too well in some situation.

an fo you, OGRE, i would have whoever you are ordering your tires from contact their parts unlimited rep and ask them which ones to order. I would think you would order the 21" normal knarly since it does not come in a 21" size. i would think you would get the 21" XC. I do know that Tucker Rocky list them correctly in their books.

underpowered
03-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ogre
The only one avaliable in the book is the 22' in the xc

You want the PN for the 21" xc?

0321-0071

(out of the 2006 offroad book in the ATV tires and wheels section, PG. 392)

Gasman
03-23-2006, 03:00 PM
I was going to ask about the Knarly's also. I currently run Klaw XCF fronts and Klaw XCR rears. I like the fronts, but for my XC racing I'm not crazy about the Klaw rears. Love 'em in normal trail riding though. I was weighing my tire choices for the rear and have pretty much settled on the Knarly XC's. You can do better than $70 though, rockymountainatv.com has the 21x11x9 for $50. Those prices blow Maxxis and ITP out of the water. Unfortunately they are out of stock until May (wtf?), so unless I can find them somewhere else at that price in stock, I'll have to run at least my first four races on the Klaws.

hd400ex00
03-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Does any body know the actual diameters of the kenda klaw xc fro the 22 X 11 X 9
and the 20 x 11 x 9 which ones are closest to stock. They will be going on 9 x 9 itp wheels im looking for more of the squared off look rather than the rounded look.

Sjorge450R
03-23-2006, 06:17 PM
does any one know what the 20x11x9 Klaws measure?

ranger400ex
03-28-2006, 11:48 AM
The Klaws measure exactly what is on the sidewall within a small tolerance (1/4")

BMW

r450rr
04-11-2006, 01:44 PM
quick question.. i got the 18 inch knarleys on backorder. and the picture of the tire i am getting i think is the wrong pic. its showing a pic of the K535 Knarly HT, and i was looking on the kenda website. the 18 knarley is actually the K535 Knarly ST can anyone clear this up for me, thanks.. also what color is the 18inch sidewall part that says knarley on the 18inch..(it should be red right)?