PDA

View Full Version : detonation or predetonation?

hauck400ex
03-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Ok, I have done a little motor work to my 400 (i.e. 11:1 piston, Hotcam Stage 1, Sparks Flywheel Key) and to be safe I always run a 50/50 mix of 110 and 93 octanes. Recently I haven't been able to get the 110, so I have been running 93 straight in it. It get real hot, and i ride in a lot of mud that cakes the engine. Just wondering, besides pinging, which I haven't heard yet, what are some signs of pre detonation? Just gets me a little worried, and anytime It doesn't perform exactly right I think that might be it. I run with no airbox lid and have the bike jetted perfectly. Any tips of how I can be sure its safe?

SHARPMACHINE
03-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Some people do not like to run hi comp with an ignition key. Sparks recommends against it.

underpowered
03-22-2006, 11:03 AM
your advance key would make pre-det worse. i would ditch it just to be safe. as far as signs of pre-det, pinging or spark knock is the main one, but if you search i know there are more subtle ones

hauck400ex
03-22-2006, 02:46 PM
sparks doesnt recommend it but it isnt as bad as they make it seem. I have seen ones built 13:1 with the key and run fine... I havent had any problems i just want to know what to look for in case i would have a problem

plkmonster2
03-25-2006, 10:28 PM
MAke sure there is no aluminum on your plug. It is common for engine that knock constantly. My stock 400 will knock at low rpm if your are lugging it hard. You can hear it then though. Sounds like a wrench tapping on the side of the cylinder.