PDA

View Full Version : shock rebulids or new shocks???

blakefoote
03-22-2006, 06:48 AM
I just got a 06 450er and put Houser a-arms on it like the first week...and now it rides a lil rough with the stock shocks and I am wanting to upgrade them....should I save and get the shocks or should I o ahead and get theem rebuilt now?...If I go and buy some new ones I would buy Axis...I like PEP but dont like that you have to wait so long an dont really like Elka that much...So when i got Axis it ouwld cost me around 1300-1500$...when if I got them redone it would only cost like 600-800$...so what do yall think and if I rebuild, who should I get it done buy?

jhoppa
03-22-2006, 07:38 AM
I just purchased some Elka's front and rear with the link. I love them.

My justification was that I could put the stock shocks back on the quad when I sell it in a couple years. Sell the Elka's and link separately. I figure either way I am going to lose $700-$1000, but I am riding on much higher quality stuff than just getting the shocks revalved.

Majority of riders would not know the difference in revalving, so they would not give me any extra for the quad because of it.

The tough part was writing the check for $2000 for the shocks...

jhoppa
03-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Oh yeah, I have a 2006 450ER also. I purchased Elka's because of the quick turn-around time. I had them in 8 days from when I ordered them. Elkas, Axis, PEP all those guys know how to build good shocks. Getting them to me was the important part.

I heard of some people waiting 2 months to get shocks...

bradley300
03-22-2006, 08:05 AM
get the stocker re vavled, they will work just as well if not better than a set of off the shelf axis. gthunder specializes in re valving stock shocks, they have great prices too. www.gthunder.com

900rracer
03-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Call Colby at C&D Racing. They rebuilt my stockers using a TCS triple rate spring on the front, and a dual rate Eibach on the rear. I have +2 Houser arms up front and stock swingarm with Lonestar axle out back. They ride and handle great. I race MX B class and have no complaints about my rebuild from C&D. Obviously a stock rebuild will not be the same as the high priced Elkas but I think C&D did it for around $600 front and rear adding an extra inch of travel in the rear. Oh yeah and they had a great turn around time. Its a great set up if you are on a budget, if you can afford the High dollar shocks like Elkas, TCS, or Axis--I would take that route.

woodsman250r
03-22-2006, 09:56 PM
What level of riding will you be doing? Also what kind of adjustments would you be getting if you got aftermarket shocks? And what kind of Houser arms did you put on? If you want Axis shocks I would look around for a used set maybe. But if you go with a rebuild with Derisi, GT Thunder or C&D you shouldn't have any problem and it will be a large improvement over stock.

blakefoote
03-23-2006, 06:29 AM
C class rider a a national level:ermm: