PDA

View Full Version : need mojave help please

rebelex300
03-21-2006, 11:45 PM
my brother is going to buy this 250 mojave for 200 bucks. how can i tell what year it is??? oh and the kicker is broke...something internal? i dont know much about these. what is broke in it? it has all 5 gears, runs in pretty good shape.

Tri-valleyracin
03-22-2006, 04:06 AM
for 200 any thing is worth buying. once u get it see if the kicked is striped or the kick back spring might be streched. i would have a traind peoson looking at it if u dont much about it. if its inturnal i would have a shop look at it and give u an estamit on how much its goin to take to fix. it looks like its in good condition. i wouldnt pass it up even if it needs like a few hundred in work.

Honda 250X 91
03-22-2006, 08:46 AM
my bike has the same problem the kickstart gear is prolly shredded if that is the possibility it will be like 200 to fix or so not including tear down and all that, im pretty sure that is wat my friend told me at the shop! 200 bucks for that ain't bad.. if it had the white plastic orig.. from factory i would say it would be around the 94-97 i think is the year they ran white plastic! If you need ne parts or want to sell ne let me know!

rebelex300
03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
i know how to tear and build a motor i just dont know anything about the quad itself. are they good quads?, reliable? how fast are they? how would it compare to my 300 ex? i will probaly fix it myself. would i be able to bump start it and ride it to see how it runs? this shouldnt hurt anything right?

Jeffksf
03-22-2006, 12:08 PM
IIRC My old mojave was that same color scheme and it was a 93. I never had the kick starter problem but do remember talk of stripped kick start gear being a problem. Mine was very reliable and was a good jumper. I had the head ported by FST and higher comp. piston with a supertrapp exhaust and it really woke up. It was quicker then most 300exs. Great quad for smaller riders especially (I'm 5'-4")
Bump starting should be fine.

Lurch
03-22-2006, 12:40 PM
You can do allot with Mojaves. With enough time and devotion you can really trick them out. Here is my 2000 FST Mojave......

http://www.racewebcreations.com/images/quadrebuild/finished006.jpg

drybranch
03-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Now before I post this I am putting in a disclaimer that this is only what I was told by a dealership mechanic when this happened to my Mojave.
He said that when the gear strips that the parts go into the motor and cause extensive damage. He said that it would cost close to $1000 to get into motor and repair.
My bike still ran great when I sold it so who knows so I don't know if there is any truth to it.

Honda 250X 91
03-23-2006, 02:06 PM
My friend rode the one i have realy hard and when we pulled the motor apart there are tons of metal shavings i do not know if it is from the kicker or from the piston and cyclinder who would know but yea it may be bad from the kicker b/c there are tons of shaving in the motor!! i really would like ot put the money into it but i dn't have it i want to sell it for parts so if ne one wants pm me or w/e... or my aim PaintMaster6909.. im looking to get a decent trail bike .. HONDA!!??? ne body selling 1500-2500 400ex or sumn i need sumn bigger im 6' --6'1"

greenblood01
03-23-2006, 07:08 PM
That bike doesn't look bad. The earlier models all had the weak kickstart gears, kind of like the 2nd gear in 250x's and the transmissions in '01 Raptors. Since that bike has heel guards, and a green frame, I would say it is any where from a 93-96 model. Check out www.cycleworksracing.net/phpBB2. Greg knows everything you need to know about Mojaves. That bike is definatly worth $200. Mojaves are just as fast as 300ex's. When mine just had the dg pipe and jets, it would run with and beat most mild 300ex's.

Jeremy