PDA

View Full Version : Help..case repair??

LiLMissHondaEx
10-03-2001, 06:56 PM
OK here is what happend. Chain got to loose and must have jump over the front sprocket. Put a hole in the case right in front of sprocket. What should I do now it is leaking oil. The hole is not big but enought to leak oil. I have heard JB weld mat fix it?
Any idea.....I need some help

Thanx!!!

Atomic83
10-03-2001, 07:09 PM
If there isn't too much damage I would try the DB weld and see how it holds up.

10-03-2001, 07:22 PM
I don't know what to do, but did you still have the stock chain quard on
around the front sprocket.
John

400exRacerX
10-03-2001, 07:24 PM
it happened to me but luckely it didnt crack the case, it crack the stock case saver in half. so after that i immediatly bout a white brothers billet case saver to solve the problem.

Ketch
10-03-2001, 08:50 PM
The first problem with jb weld is geting it to bond to the case
because of oils and lube that's been used in that area. It's only
band aid fix at best. If you can get it a part and have a way to get it tig welded up would be the best way or a new case. And a new case saver.

SNIPA
10-16-2001, 02:23 PM
Will the JB weld hold? I am not sure but i think it will. Who has used it with any luck. Reply back with you results of JB weld!!!
Thanks,

JabberJaw
10-16-2001, 02:25 PM
Stuff a small dead squirrel in the hole.

kc 300EX
10-16-2001, 02:35 PM
if the hole is small, heres what i suggest, take off the case and clean it really well to get rid of all the oil, fil the whole with a couple ounces of "Quiksteel epoxy" its a type of epoxy that seals steel-hard and its supposed to take extreme temperatures. I know a guy who had to use it on the magneto cover of his motorcycle from layin it down on the road so much, held up good he says

GoLikeHell
10-16-2001, 03:22 PM
Any epoxy will work on your case, but it can only hold as good as you clean it. I would remove the cover and clean with brake clean, and wash it down till the oil shine is gone. spray alot into the pours to make sure you get every drop of oil out.

With a fix like this, your repair will only be as good as your prep time.

Mark

10-16-2001, 03:26 PM
I don't know why quads don't come from the factory with a better case saver,,,pisses me off,,,cuz i've heard of this happening soooooooo many times. A case saver was the 2nd purchase I made fer my bike,,,sorry ta hear about your bad luck lilmiss,,don't have any suggestions fer ya...besides findin a new case somewere.:(

300exrider99
10-16-2001, 06:45 PM
My brother used to have a 250x and he popped the chain and the same thing heppend to him. He used JB weld and it held up until he sold it.

papaw
10-16-2001, 07:06 PM
try the jb weld putty it should work alot better than the mix kind.
it also comes pre-mixed,just have to knead it to activate it.it worked good on my oil tank for about two or three months and its not as messy!!!!

10-16-2001, 09:16 PM
I used in on my case same thing happend.

tkatka70
08-04-2002, 07:58 PM
the same thing happend to me and im still trying to fix it. Just discoverd the problem about 2 days ago. Tryed puddy but didnt work so im trying is again. Next i will try JB weld. Then i will weld it some how if that dont work.