PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Mercedes c230 vs. 2001 WV GOLF GTI

Ralph
03-21-2006, 07:57 PM
I currently have a Benz c230 but i might be able to trade it for a nice 2001 golf gti.

I wanna know what you guys think of both cars and if it would be a good trade.

I want to see all aspects. Safety is a concern. I'm looking to work hard my whole life not die in a stupid crash. I already had a bad wreck in a c280 Benz and i cant complain about its safety.

I just wanna hear some of your opinions

TheX1992
03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
You're 17 and have a Mercedes?

But to answer your question...I would stick with the Benz. I saw a picture of the Golf GTI and to me it looks like nothing more than a hatchback tin can. You seem to have the size over it already. I would keep the Benz.

antman
03-21-2006, 09:54 PM
i would keep the Mercedes...

miller821
03-21-2006, 09:58 PM
I would go with whatever gets the better gas mileage, seeing gas prices are so high.

parkers30
03-21-2006, 10:04 PM
the GTI's are great cars too, can't go wrong with VW quality, I don't know a ton about the GTI's safety but I have two friends that have them and love them

MOFO
03-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by TheX1992
You're 17 and have a Mercedes?

But to answer your question...I would stick with the Benz. I saw a picture of the Golf GTI and to me it looks like nothing more than a hatchback tin can. You seem to have the size over it already. I would keep the Benz.

...and you know very little about VW's. :rolleyes:

MOFO
03-22-2006, 04:33 AM
Ralph,

Need some details... The GTi, what motor is in it... how is it laid out (options). Has anything been done to the car? How many miles? Any maint records? Pic's?

I have a 2004 GTI 1.8t 5spd (wifes car) and that thing is a blast to drive! Same 1.8t you'll find in the Audi A4, 180hp Audi TT...etc. Its a proven motor. I also had a 99 GTI with the 2.0L. Good reliable motor, but no power at all.

MOFO
03-22-2006, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by parkers30
the GTI's are great cars too, can't go wrong with VW quality, I don't know a ton about the GTI's safety but I have two friends that have them and love them

My wife was rear ended in her GTI. She was stopped at a red light and the guy behind her rear ended her @35-40MPH. She was pushed into a Ford Expedition in front of her. I have the police reports and insurance reports as proof.

The car behind her, an old Pontiac Bonneville (sp?) was completely totalled and wrapped around the back of the GTI. My wifes car was pushed into the rear of the Ford. Ends up the Ford had severe frame damage in the rear.

My wife walked away without a scratch and her car was very driveable, just major cosmetic damage. The drivers and passengers doors opened and closed, the rear hatch opened and closed and even the hood would open and close.

VW's are VERY safe cars! Do not let the size fool you!

TheX1992
03-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
...and you know very little about VW's. :rolleyes:

I am a mechanic, my father is a mechanic, his father was a mechanic, and HIS father was a mechanic (I have a black and white photo of the shop he owned in the 30's with a hand written letter on it hanging in my house). I know my share of every vehicle I touch. But I have yet to do anything with these new GTI's.

I am going to call you the straw that broke this camels back today :mad:

400exBro
03-22-2006, 10:15 AM
I know the safety in the VW is really really good.
I used to own a 2000 VW Golf TDI, and this past summer i got rear ended. The guy who hit me was being chased by the cops, he was doing about 150 km/h, I was slowing down to pull over to the right, i was doing between 30-40 km/h when he hit us. Think of how much force was put on the VW, and we were fine.
I have pictures of the car and a report to prove it, the car was a right off.

If you get a GTI, get the 1.8T. Very nice engines. or pick up a Audi A4, they are good in the winter with the all whell drive.

Tommy 17
03-22-2006, 11:08 AM
mofo i agree about the VW quality... i've seen a few jettas smashed and they take hits pretty darn good...

i think the only car i'd rather be in a crash in over a VW would be a lexus...

Ralph
03-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Yes, i am 17 and i drive a Mercedes. I get great deals on these cars and pay for them on my own and that's all i'm gonna say.

The guy who helps me out with my cars took a 2001 GTI in on a trade and i think its got about 50,000 miles. My c230 has about 80 thousand now.

I'm pretty sure it has the 1.8 turbo in it cause he did no mention it was the 2.6 6 in line(GIT GLX?? i think). oh yeah and it is a 6-speed.

My c230 is a 2.3l engine and is supercharged so i imagine both cars are really great on gas depending on how u drive them. If you accelerate hard and drive fast the mileage is nothing special but if u drive somewhat normal a tank will last you quite a bit.

I still need to find more info on it because i will only do it if i can trade it straight up. I'm not too happy with the c230 right now because it is desert silver(gold-ish) and is not in prime condition. My dad wants me in a safe car which is why i am in the Benz in the first place so as long as the Golf is safe enough i think he will be OK with it.

Ralph
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
I bought the c230 without too much thinking because i couldnt wait to long to wait for nice deal to come around because i did this to my c280...

I would never even have made this thread if i still had this baby. (I didnt have a scratch on me after this. Thats the kind of safety i need.

Matt37
03-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Keep the Benz.

GTI's are dumb looking.

Plus, no matter how good the engineering on the VW is, I doubt it beats MB engineering.

Benz's are kick *** and fast to!

Ralph
03-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Matt37
Keep the Benz.

GTI's are dumb looking.

Plus, no matter how good the engineering on the VW is, I doubt it beats MB engineering.

Benz's are kick *** and fast to!

They both have quality German engineering. But i think the GTI is faster than the c230. They are both quick cars but that is not really what I'm most interested in.

Tommy 17
03-22-2006, 01:00 PM
ralph u may want to be careful bringin either one of those cars here to altoona next year... so far this year in the parkin lot every nice car has either been keyed... smashed with a sledge hammer... or hit in one way or another...

there was a beautiful 350z here and it now has key marks on both sides and a sledge hammer to the hood:o

there was a nissan 240 and it was keyed...

a couple street bikes were picked up and carried over to the river and throw'n in...

lots of other cars were backed into... or keyed...

Ralph
03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
woowww,

that's stupid as hell. Is there a lot of ridiculous kids up there? Hmm, that really makes me reconsider.. Don't you have a nice truck up there? Is there any other options i have as to how i could avoid that...

Tommy 17
03-22-2006, 01:08 PM
yeah... its mostly the frat ***s that do it... one frat got busted for it already...

nah i don't keep my silverado here for that reason... i keep my toyota which has already had doors swung open into it and been backed into...

my trucks already been peanut buttered and powder sugared also once... they did about 20 cars in the parking lot in a row... took me 2 hours to get it all off with a pressure washer...

Ralph
03-23-2006, 07:49 PM
UPDATE:

The GTI has been wholesaled and instead i will be buying another c230 kompressor almost identical to the one i own now except this one will have 45,000 miles instead of the 80,000 mine has.

TheFontMaster
03-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
UPDATE:

The GTI has been wholesaled and instead i will be buying another c230 kompressor almost identical to the one i own now except this one will have 45,000 miles instead of the 80,000 mine has.

Good to hear you kept with a Mercedes. Nothin against WV at all, they are great cars, but IMO going from almost any kind of Mercedes to a Golf is just too much of a down grade.

Ralph
03-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Good to hear you kept with a Mercedes. Nothin against WV at all, they are great cars, but IMO going from almost any kind of Mercedes to a Golf is just too much of a down grade.

Not when ur going to a 6 speed small light car with an engine just as strong if not stronger.

either way, I was happy that another low mileage c230 komp. came around. I love these things. This will be my third.

TheFontMaster
03-23-2006, 08:45 PM
I can see where you would want to trade from a performance aspect, a couple of my friends hav VW's and they are awsome, but I think Mercedes are just so much nicer. You'll get all that luxury interior and atention to every detail in that Mercedes.

But anyways when are ya gonna post some pics of it:macho

Ralph
03-23-2006, 08:50 PM
umm, i prob wont have it till the end of the month. I test drove it today. We will get everything finalized and then i will have 2 of the same exact cars until i can sell the old one. Shouldnt take too long.