PDA

View Full Version : Banshee advantages and disadvantages

robby05
03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
I think i might buy a banshee and was wondering what are some advantages and disadvatages of them, like trailriding, jumping, etc. I dont plan on doin any motocross i just want something that is fast on top end and smoke 450's in a drag race and trailride sometimes, would a banshee be a good choice for me?

Scro
03-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Banshee's in stock form don't handle very well. But since you are just looking for speed, the banshee is the king of speed:devil:

DieselTech
03-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Well, the Shee's strengths, imo, are:
1) great power, and loads of potential for more
2) cheap to add performance to the engine, in comparison to 4-strokes
3) easy to rebuild in comparison to 4-strokes
4) been around a LONG time, so a plethora of parts (new and used), as well as people with experience in modding them
5) fun, fun, fun (nothin' like a 2-stroke!)
6) Legendary reputation

Disadvantages:
1) 2-stroke means mixing gas & oil
2) Suspension isn't great for jumping
3) heavy
4) dated looks (if you care - personally I think it looks great)
5) more maintenance than a 4-stroke
6) not exactly the best trail riding machine either (meant to RUN)

so, there's my opinion. As for suitability to what you want, I say ride one......beg, borrow, steal to get your hands on one for a ride (ok, maybe not steal.....)

As for beating the 450's - work on your skill as a rider - it matters just as much (or more) than the machine.

Toadz400
03-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Yea no stealing, my Banshee was stolen last year.

Sounds like the Banshee is for you if all you want is speed. There are a lot of advantages to a Banshee but there are the fair share of disadvantages that DieselTech mentioned. It's not as bad as people make it out to be in those departments (weight is only 30 lbs more than a 450). Once you ride a Banshee you will fall in love with it and it looks a lot better afterwards, after you know how fast it is. And for trail riding, I felt that I was faster and more comfortable on my Banshee than my 400ex:ermm: .

Mxjunkie
03-22-2006, 03:47 PM
I really dont belive the more matience then a 4 stroke, My buddys with their thumpers allways have problems and some of my friends allways have problems with their 2 strokes, if you take care of it and not beat on it all the time it will last.

My banshee all the maitance I have to do is just normal, I change my plugs every month, check the chain, check the brakes, change the tranny fluid and check every nut and bolt.

youngbansheeman
04-26-2006, 05:28 PM
If you dont know nothing about a atv's go with a 4 stroke!A Banshee needs alot of attention!

Toadz400
04-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by youngbansheeman
If you dont know nothing about a atv's go with a 4 stroke!A Banshee needs alot of attention!

I think you need to reword that.

If you don't know anything about ATV's, go with an OLDER 4-stroke like a Warrior or 400EX. The older technology 4-strokes don't need to be kept up as much as the newer 4-strokes (450's). The 4-strokes now are higher maintanence than a 2-stroke because of their high performance and more moving parts.