PDA

View Full Version : Painting help

Eddiesanders250
03-21-2006, 06:31 PM
I am painting my frame on my R, thats right paint no $ right now. I want to know your guys methods on painting a frame as far as how much primer paint and clear. I realize it would last alot longer if the frame was stripped bare but if it is heavily scuffed will it work? any tips will help.

BTW what kind of paint should i use?

theTman
03-21-2006, 06:37 PM
i used 4 coats of primer

like 8 coats of paint(spray paint)

then 3-4 coats of clear coat, held up pretty nice

polcat1p
03-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
I am painting my frame on my R, thats right paint no $ right now. I want to know your guys methods on painting a frame as far as how much primer paint and clear. I realize it would last alot longer if the frame was stripped bare but if it is heavily scuffed will it work? any tips will help.

BTW what kind of paint should i use?
I hear ya
I want to paint my frame also. i went to the paint store, and they told me dupont makes a good paint.

Eddiesanders250
03-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Thats what ive heard too dupont makes a good paint. are you going to strip your frame bare? what about clear do they reccomend it?

polcat1p
03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
Thats what ive heard too dupont makes a good paint. are you going to strip your frame bare? what about clear do they reccomend it?
I will strip it, because my brother in law has a sandblasting gun.
I was told
primer coat
base coat
clear coat

KWAD GAWD
03-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Buy some POR, car paint won't even last too long.

Eddiesanders250
03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
whats POR lol

red2004 TRX450R
03-22-2006, 11:54 AM
its POR15. and i dont know if I would use it on a quad. have used it on car frames.

you want to totally strip the frame, prep is the most important part of painting. then use a good metal etching primer. them i would just use single stage auto paint or you could use BC.

no rattle cans get a good auto gun and auto primer and paint.

but then it will be cheaper to PC and last longer.

of if you just want to get by just use a rattle can with no clear so you can touch up the frame like 20 times a year.