PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the engine (sandblast)

times2
03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Is it ok to sandblast the entire engine if it is off of the bike? I know the obvious things will have to be done such as sealing off the intake and exhaust ports as well as the coolant ports. I need my engine cleaned up because I am in the middle of a complete re-doing of my bike.

matt250r21
03-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Just seal off anything steel you dont want to rust. I have noticed that bare aluminum will carode from some of the track's dirt that I ride on.

dsaint77
03-21-2006, 08:37 PM
if you are going to sandblast the motor, you need to break that thing down to parade rest. no matter what your using for tape to seal up the ports its going to get in. You can use 500mph breachers tape (you cant get anything better than breachers tape and I am not sure if civilians can evern buy it) and that sand that is soooo fine is going to find a way into your engine. if you want to keep it looking sandblasted there are a number of products you can put on the motor to seal it so that it will not corrode.

if your going to sandblast it, I recommend breaking it down to the cases and such to take care of it.

Adam

OLD IRONSIDES
03-28-2006, 09:01 PM
I blasted mine and just painted it with clear sprypaint, it looks real nice!

Pappy
03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by OLD IRONSIDES
I blasted mine and just painted it with clear sprypaint, it looks real nice!

send me that piece of firepower behind your right shoulder....i havent played with one of them for way too long:devil:

OLD IRONSIDES
03-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Yeah, man i wish i could have taken it home with me. There would be alot less *******s around!

Pappy
03-28-2006, 09:09 PM
:devil: i was trained to fire something a bit smaller, and made much less noise:D you mech guys make me nervous, too much noise:devil:

OLD IRONSIDES
03-28-2006, 09:30 PM
The ground pounders loved hearing that MK19 poundin' rounds overhead. Heres a pic of my gunner gettin' ready to roll out for patrol.

250R-Dee
03-28-2006, 10:18 PM
I loved shooting the MK19!! That thing was a blast!!