PDA

View Full Version : Painting radiator hoses

Iliketogofast
03-21-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm trying to tell my brother that you can't spray paint radiator hoses, because the paint will just crack. He got this idea from some idiot who owns a motorcycle shop, but I don't give the guy any credit cause he uses the WOT break in methods, which are a great way to blow an engine, but I won't get into that. He says you paint them and it soaks in, then you do it again, and then once more. Is this true or not?

wilkin250r
03-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I can't see spraypaint "soaking in" to the radiator hoses.

Think about it this way. If they were absorbant, wouldn't they already be saturated with coolant fluid?

NacsMXer
03-21-2006, 03:49 PM
I highly doubt the paint will not crack. Rubber doesn't like to hold paint in the first place because it is so flexible. What's worse is that radiator hose will constantly be expanding and contracting as hot coolant runs through it and then cools down when you shut the motor down.

Iliketogofast
03-22-2006, 06:51 AM
What wilkins said was exactly as I tried to tell him - If the paint was going to soak in, the stuff already inside would too. tHanks guys

premiumtommy
03-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Dude...smack your brother in the f*****g head..

bwamos
03-22-2006, 07:23 AM
You "could" use a ruberized paint that wouldn't crack, but it would still look like crap.

What I would reccomend if he wants some "bling" would be to go to autozone, and buy some of that anodized steel braided covering, that makes your hoses look like steel braided lines. They even have ends that slip over the hose clamps to make it look like a screw on fitting.

Iliketogofast
03-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I suggested that rubber paint to him, cause I saw it when he was buying the reg paint. This is nothing though, this kid is a dumbass. yesterday he said the clutch went out on his bike(it was "slipping"), came in here crying, and I went out there and looked at it oly to find that the spark plug was finger tight. He's an invalid.

03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Or you can buy "colored hoses":blah:

Flynbryan19
03-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 89honda 250x
Or you can buy "colored hoses":blah:

Yup, CV products sells them. Many of the factory and independent motorcycle race teams use them now. They sell them for quads too. They're about 30mins from me. I was fortunate enough to help with developing the proto-types for the Predator.

Here's their website. Check them out. ;)

CV4 (http://www.cv4.net/cv4New/)

Chino886
03-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
He got this idea from some idiot who owns a motorcycle shop, but I don't give the guy any credit cause he uses the WOT break in methods, which are a great way to blow an engine, but I won't get into that.

I like this method....

mountaineer
03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
I have CV4 hoses on my YFZ 450 they are sweet!!!!

bwamos
03-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Aye, they've even got translucent hoses. THe phosphorescents in the coolant will glow under a black light. ;)