PDA

View Full Version : First Sport Quad

MaverickFL
03-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice regarding a first bike. One of the riders here of a 440EX referred me and gave me a lot of pointers regarding the world of sports. I am looking for a (preferrably a fuel injected) 400+cc bike. My buddy likes the 450TRX, I like the yammies (more displacement, lower end torque, less gear happy for the occasional trail ride).

Before ya'll deter me from such a beefy quad, I'll tell you I have experience on 2-wheels, I've got a lot of time on top of a 750 and 1300, but have deemed FL NOT the place to own and ride one of those anymore...

SO, bring it on. What do ya'll like, and why, and is FI all it's made out to be vs. carbed?

MR.BIG
03-21-2006, 02:33 PM
First off I suggest you do some research before you go and buy a 450 quad. Just because you can handle a street bike doesn't mean anything once you in the dirt. The only fuel injected quad is the new suzuki 450. How do you figure the yammie has more displacement and lowend torque because that is totally false.

tucson450r
03-21-2006, 02:58 PM
The cannondales are fuel injected also, but they are a 440cc bike.

thrasher_ex
03-21-2006, 03:27 PM
and the raptor is FE....maybe you should look at that....lot of torque but not as much bite as a 450...

450rJam
03-21-2006, 03:50 PM
700 rappy is FI and reverse and full of torque, dirt bike to quad isnt too big of jump and the learning curve is quick. going from street to quad may be a little slower transition. maybe you could go to one of the dealers with some yardage (in missouri some of the dealerships let you test ride used quads) If you just out to get the badest thing on the market right now it wont be in another year or so. bottom line get what you want and wear a helmet. I dont know anyone who hasnt piled it up a few times while learning. and when we think we are really good the crashes just cost more. remember to gas out of trouble.....so if you dont pull it out at least the spectators will be intertained.

MaverickFL
03-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Haha, some good replies... I'm going to hit up Streits down here this weekend and see if I can scope out some used quads. I understand the transition to dirt from street will be full of surprises, however I was just trying to demonstrate that I already have a keen respect for machines that will buck you the second you lose sight of what they can do.

Yammies with higher displacement = higher torque? I came up with that with the fact that I'd assume a 660 or 700 would definitely have more dig than a 440 or 450. Wrong? Tell me!

"Not as much bite as the 450?" How much faster is one than the other, I personally like the way the 450 looks over hte raptor, and I'm told hte hondas are better for reliability, will I have plenty of fun while learning on a 450 while not getting bored anytime soon? No disrespect, I know nothing about these, that's why I'm bouncing these ideas off of experienced riders like ya'll.

New search:
What 450s and up will give me elec start and rev?

wanta450
03-21-2006, 04:26 PM
1st off just for the record
honda 450 has more displacment more torque and is beter geared for the rails than the yamaha ever will be

MaverickFL
03-21-2006, 04:30 PM
I could be wrong, (which I am not), but displacement is measured in cubic centimeters. 700cc > 450cc, a difference of 250cc or approximately 40% larger.

300EXrider356
03-21-2006, 04:33 PM
NERD ALERT:D :D

JK but seriously brett you should get the 450

MaverickFL
03-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by 300EXrider356
NERD ALERT:D :D

JK but seriously brett you should get the 450

Hahaha, right on mikey. We'll see what I can find, I'll be out your way this summer for sure, we'll load SOMETHING up and head out to the park.

CHEVYZ
03-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by MaverickFL
I could be wrong, (which I am not), but displacement is measured in cubic centimeters. 700cc > 450cc, a difference of 250cc or approximately 40% larger. He was referring to the YFZ 450, you are talking about the 700 Raptor.

450rJam
03-21-2006, 07:38 PM
the 450's are quicker and lighter than the yamaha 700 raptor, the suzuki lt450r is in its first year but comes wider than any stock quad ever and handles the best. the yfz is great combo of speed and handling if you drive it hard. the honda 450r is great speed and handling also has super reliability and cheap factory upgrade HCR kit. none of these top of the line sport quads have reverse and they all have electric start. no way your happy with any one of these. if buying used.........the old 660 raptor dont handle as well, the 04/05 honda 450r isnt as quick as 06. the honda 400ex, suzuki/kawasaki z400 are both a little bit down on power from the 450's but are most likely too much for a beginner but both handle very well. the 250's are targeted for entry level riders, fun but not too impressive. there are a few like 300ex raptor 350 and some others that are between the power and agility of the 250-400's. the 05 and up 400ex and the 700 rappy both have reverse. they all have soooooo many aftermarket upgrades available to personalize the power to your riding habits.

450rJam
03-21-2006, 07:39 PM
I meant to say there is no way you wont be happy with the 450's

MaverickFL
03-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Great reply 450, lots of good points. I appreciate it, I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to scope out some 450s and ride my buddy's 660 again, we'll see.... thanks!!

MaverickFL
03-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Alright, I went and sat on a Honda, Suzuki and a Yamaha today. The Honda feels REALLLLY tall, the suzuki, eh, I like their streets but haven't heard good things about their dirts, and the Yamaha felt the best as far as comfort. What do ya'll think? I know this is the Honda thread but will the Yammie and Honda run together?

CHEVYZ
03-22-2006, 03:38 PM
If you like the Yamaha, then that is what I would go with. My buddy has a YFZ and with the same mods, we run side by side through every race.. that is unless someone has a bad start. To be honest, if it weren't for the fact that I am wayyy more comfortable on the honda, I wouldn't have gotten it. Between the two, I think that it is really about which one you like more, because no one can do anything except give you THEIR opinion ( And not everyone feels the same... that is why there is more than one bike)- basically there isn't a right or wrong. :chinese:

Good luck with whatever you choose... I am sure that you will have fun!:D

MaverickFL
03-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Right on, thanks. Clearly, I know everything is an opinion, I was just wondering if there is any cut and dry differences that I should be made aware of (such as the fact that a suzuki GSX600 will walk all over a honda cbr600 or a suzuki 750 will own a yamaha 1000). Thanks, I'm going to Colorado tomorrow, when I get back I'm going to scope out the yammie.