PDA

View Full Version : My Brake Pads Are Screwy, Help

toby400ex
07-25-2002, 02:22 PM
I RECENTLY had to rebuild the back end which included bearing carrier caliper stay and pads. i bought the new caliper stay because when i put the caliper back on in rubbed real bad on the rotor, to fix that i put washers in between the rotor and rotor hub to move it away from the caliper part that was rubbing. i have now gone through my fourth or fifth pair of back pads in the last 4 months. this last pair of pads was ebcs extreme duty pads which are sintered metal. the pads have been wearing strange, the pad on the outside of the rotor is much more worn and it isnt worn evenly. i will try to get a pic on , please help if you have any ideas.

07-25-2002, 02:50 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but my 400 and the 300 I used to have, as well as all my buddies' 300s and 400s, all wear the outside pad more than the inside pad, and they also tend to wear the bottom part of the pad more than the top part. They have all done this from the time they were brand new until the quads were essentially worn out, so I think you are just experiencing normal wear.

As for them wearing out quickly, that's not that different either. Every 300 that I've rode, and all the ones my buddies' have rode, eat rear brake pads like they were candy. When I owned my 300, I would go through a set of pads every 3 or 4 rides and if it was wet and muddy, then they only lasted 1 ride. It didn't really make much difference which type of pad I used either. My 400 is a lot better on rear pads, but they still only last 5-6 good rides, but I can make them last longer if I ride slower so I don't have to use the brakes so much. In my normal woods riding I tend to be kinda brutal on the rear brakes; can't make the sharp turns without a brake slide going into them:D.

toby400ex
07-29-2002, 12:14 AM
thanks for the info but that wont make it any easier convincing my parents to let me by pads every month. oh well she will just say dont ride it for a while or slow down.:(

tprender
07-29-2002, 07:03 AM
If you had to put some type of washer in to get the brakes to fit the rotor it sounds like your calipator is not working corretly. There are 2 pins that the calipator slides on. Sometimes these 2 pins will freeze up and not let the calipator float on the rotor. This will also cause the pads to wear fast and more on one side. Take your calipator off and try to move or slide it where the 2 rubber boots are located. Some penating oil might help, or take it off and have someone look at it. This might be your problem.

Razorback
07-29-2002, 09:04 AM
i just recently put on a set of ebc severe duty pads and they wear great. i've heard they don't do as good in the water as the softer pads, but i've had no problems with them so far. seem to wear much, much better than the kevlar or regular metallic pads.

toby400ex
07-29-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by tprender
If you had to put some type of washer in to get the brakes to fit the rotor it sounds like your calipator is not working corretly. There are 2 pins that the calipator slides on. Sometimes these 2 pins will freeze up and not let the calipator float on the rotor. This will also cause the pads to wear fast and more on one side. Take your calipator off and try to move or slide it where the 2 rubber boots are located. Some penating oil might help, or take it off and have someone look at it. This might be your problem. im not exactly sure what you are talking about, are you talking about the bolts that hold the pads in or are you talking about the bolts that hold the mounting part of the caliper to the actual caliper

toby400ex
07-29-2002, 09:37 PM
maybe this pic will help just show me what you guys are talkin about, like say the the number of the part you are talkin about.

toby400ex
07-29-2002, 09:39 PM
here

07-29-2002, 11:10 PM
If the outside pad(closest to the wheel away from the frame) wears more then the problem usually is that the caliper does not slide easily on the mounting bolts or the pads themselves are not moving freely on the mounting pins. If this is the case then clean up the grunge from the bolt or pin etc.
||
if all the pads are wearing uneven sort of like this |\|| /|
| || / |
Then the problem is most likely in either the caliper mounting bolts, bracket as something may be bent or warped, Hope the diagram helped.

tprender
07-30-2002, 02:29 PM
The pins that I am talking about is #16 and 17 in the picture. These mount the calibator (#5) to mounting bracket (#6) and then the bracket mounts with the 2 bolts to the brake stay. The calibator will slide on the 2 pins as the pads wear down. Sometimes the calibator will freeze up on the slide or floading pins and this will cause the pads to wear funny.
I had a 250X one times that I had a hard time getting the calibator to go on with the new pads and this was the reason.
I am not talking about the 2 bolts that hold the the pads in the calibator.

toby400ex
07-30-2002, 03:39 PM
thanks for the info i think i got it fixed i messed ith ssome funky bolt on the caliper and it looks like everything is right

toby400ex
11-18-2002, 10:09 PM
nope, it is still f'ed up. Does any one have any new ideas.

boogiechile
11-20-2002, 12:44 PM
What tprender is saying is right. Take the caliper and mounting bracket of and then take them apart. Clean up the pins #16 and #17 and the bores they ride in. Put a light coat of waterproof grease on them, make sure the rubber boots are good, and put it back together.

toby400ex
11-20-2002, 05:59 PM
well that may help the brake pad wear, but it wont fick what ever the fudge is making my caliper so close to my rotor, i have to use washers just to keep the from rubbing.