PDA

View Full Version : tdc

2001407ex
03-21-2006, 01:23 PM
how can i find tdc i am ready to install the cam but i cant find top dead center everything is already bolted on. i wonna get my quad back together but i cant find tdc if someone can tell me how to find it i would appreciate it thanks

ohsobad_chevy
03-23-2006, 01:59 PM
There should be a mark on the flywheel. I think that it is a "T", could be wrong though. Someone else add to this if I am wrong please.

1fst400
03-23-2006, 02:40 PM
asuming he has a 400ex.

there are 2 marks on the flywheel. it is the first one rotating counter clockwise.

Z-Racer-5c
03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Your bike really has 2 TDC's, one on the exhaust stroke and one on the compression stroke. Assuming you still have the plug out. use a small screwdriver and turn the crank till the piston is all the way at the top, (don't get the screwdriver caught at an angle in the plug hole) look through the timming hole and it should be lined up. ( BE SURE TO HOLD THE SLACK OUT OF THE TIMMING CHAIN WHEN ROLLING THE MOTOR SO IT DOESNT GET CAUGHT UP IN THE GEARS IN THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE) Put the cam in with bearings and thrust pins! Make sure the lobe's are down at 4:30 and 7:30. set gear in chain so timing marks are at the horiz. joint. and on and on. that should get you just about there.

bada440ex
03-23-2006, 05:56 PM
take the 2 allen bolts out of the left side of the motor and turn thebolt clockwise until u see the last T and turn the wrench as far over as u can with using as little presure as possible and if u go to far u will fill it get harder to turn