PDA

View Full Version : Bent frame?

SHARPMACHINE
03-21-2006, 05:47 AM
My friend has a 4x4 quad (yes I know this is the wrong section, but 400ex people seem to be the most advanced in repairs??). He hit a stump and bent the frame about 1/2 by the bottom a-arm. My question is, has anyone ever bent one back? We were thinking of a large puller or slide hammer. Any help would be appreciated.

mods if you need to move sorry?

Also = I did search and found very little.

thanks

underpowered
03-21-2006, 09:11 AM
we have bent frames back, but i would not recomend it. you can strap teh quad down to something and use a winch, come-a-long, a puller, or a slide hammer might work. by bending it back, it will just be more prone to bend later since that area is stressed. What i would suggest is either a new frame all together or if you can get another frame that is bent but in a different place you could cut out the section you need and weld it to the old frame. i know a guy that has done this to a warrior and it worked great and cheaper than buying a straight frame.

SHARPMACHINE
03-22-2006, 06:00 AM
Well if we move it back, I think we will gusset that area. Any other advice? Will this work?

thanks

94F450SD
03-22-2006, 06:51 AM
when you make the pull to straighten it hit the bent area with a hammer.most people unless they are an autobody repairman dont know to do this as it relieves the stress in the metal.dont need to hit it super hard but hard enough that the frame moves.its pretty cool to watch it move when you hit it.just put some pressure on the frame and hit the bent section on top,bottom and sides and it should straighten out on its own.may need to apply more pulling pressure as it moves.

brian350rx
03-22-2006, 12:30 PM
If you decide to bend it back - there are factory jig holes on the bottom of the frames - you can measure these to check if its square or not.

SHARPMACHINE
03-23-2006, 05:38 AM
Thanks guys,

Good reminder on the stress relief! Also, whare would I get those specs for frame alignment? Would my dealer have them or would they be in the factory manual or?????????????

thanks

exrider008
03-23-2006, 06:25 AM
if u cant get the frame straight then try ebay im sure u can find one there