PDA

View Full Version : heavy equpiment

bansheeguy
03-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Are there any heavy equpiment operators on here? Do you like your job? Is is a busy most of the timer or are their many days off? Do you run one machine or do you get switched around?

pastfast125
03-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I got some heavy equipment between my shoulders and forearms

bwahahaha, I had to, sry. I wish I had a little CAT dozer type deal, I dunno if that's considered heavy equipment?

hskers82
03-20-2006, 08:17 PM
I run a backhoe everyday for the water department.Every now and then I get in a high lift or trackhoe but mainly just in a backhoe.It is a good job but it can get stressful when you have to dig around alot of other utilities and the days sometimes are long(sometimes 16 hour shifts).It sure beats being out in the weather(backhoe is heated and air-conditioned and has a radio)

1fst400
03-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I run a cat skid steer.. not really heavy equipment, But it does a good job. its a 236??? somthing like that.

I chop cord wood on a wood processing machine. I use the skid steer to feed the logs on, the run around and man the series of valves that control the processer hydro style. That saw cuts pretty fast. takes about 5 secconds to cut throu a 15in log.

stever25
03-21-2006, 03:32 PM
I run a CAT 345 excavator on the weekends @ my friends quarry.
It doesn't get boring for me , it's like playing in a sandbox, but I could see it getting boring if I did it everyday.

DieselBoy
03-21-2006, 06:07 PM
I am a heavy equipment operator for a landscaping company. I've owned a Bobcat 753 in the past which I sold cause of no time, but I run a CASE 90XT, and ASV R-50, Chevy 3500 Dually dumper, and sometimes a Kubota excavator (can never remember the model of it). It's very draining to operate these machines in tight area's and around utilities or if you have to meet deadlines. I find it much more tiring than manual labor because of the responsobility at hand, however I love my job and hope to be get fully trained on the Excavator and make it a full-time position.

Honda#4
03-21-2006, 06:12 PM
i operate a skid steer a john deere 250 and tractors all year round i dont know if thats heavy equipment but i think it would be considered though.

DieselBoy
03-21-2006, 06:24 PM
i also farm with a belarus 611 all impliments in the summer months. anything that moves earth in my books is considered heavy equipment.

Honda#4
03-22-2006, 08:18 AM
yea i guess ur right dieselboy.

jonc623
03-22-2006, 11:11 AM
i have ran heavy equipment for about 16 years or so now i i still love it. it is like any other job it has it days when it really sucks but for the most part it is a good job make good money as i am union and yes it depends alot on weather been fortunate and had mild winter here this year and work almost every day lol im off right now cause of snow

PismoLocal
03-22-2006, 01:19 PM
One of my buddies is a heavy equiptment operator hes 20 and makes $25 an hour, He loves his job but he is worried because his pay caps out at $38 an hour. But i guess it all depends on where you live.

JUSTINcredible
03-22-2006, 01:24 PM
i run a bobcat S250 and a bobcat vershandler almost everyday at work

bansheeguy
03-22-2006, 01:28 PM
$38 an hour doesnt take you very far.
are you saying 38 bucks an hr is not much???

i make 15.85 an hr and thast crazy for this area, i dont know what I'd do if i made 38 an hr

Quad18star
03-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
One of my buddies is a heavy equiptment operator hes 20 and makes $25 an hour, He loves his job but he is worried because his pay caps out at $38 an hour and for a guy that wants a family $38 an hour doesnt take you very far. But i guess it all depends on where you live.

I think most people could make a living off $38 a hour . Combine that with an income from a spouse and you'd be pretty well off in my area .

My dad worked as a miner for 31 years .... made roughly $25 -$28 an hour ... my mom worked in restaurants making probably $15 an hour as manager and we lived pretty good .... have a house , cottage , 2 vehicles plus a restored muscle car , sleds and quads ,most of the toys and always had food on the table .

What would be an average wage for someone living in Cali?? I know in my area $22 an hour would probably be average .... $25-28 would be above average ( which a lot of people earn because of the mines) . $38 an hour could send you up around triple digits in a year .

Scott-300ex
03-22-2006, 02:40 PM
I've run quite a bit of heavy equiptment. My uncle had a skid steer bobcat, I ran that a lot, then his shed burnt and he got the biggest or 2nd biggest John Deer 230 or 250 and I run that, and forklifts and grain trucks, some Semi, goin to take my CDL test tomorrow.

I think its a lot of fun.

We were redoin the backyard of our house and I told my mom and dad that I wanted to run the skid-steer, they're like, "No I don't think so." They thought I just wanted to play on it cuz they never seen if I was good at operatin it or not. I'm like "Come on now." Then my uncles like "Yeh you don't want Scott runnin it cuz he'll hit the house and those are hard to run and to make it look pretty cuz I can't even make it look pretty." He was like 38 at the time and he's been runnin them for a long time.

I was like 13 or 14, so we went and got my uncles skid steer and I did it and I did a really good job, we had to lay 2 or 3 inches of topsoil down and I could have it in the bucket shake the skid steer back and lower the bucket and lay 3 inches of topsoil, so no shovel work was needed. So I finished the job and did it dang well. Then my parents were like, "Wut? Holy crap, he does know wut he's doing." I'm like "Ha.......Oh yeh." So then they told everybody I did a good job so they got back at my 38 year old uncle. Oh did that feel good.

So a long story of me.

I applied at the Quarry's around here and an Excavating Company. All I need it for someone to get fired, retire, or quit and I'm in.

Do you guys like

-Hand sticks to manuever and foot pedals to operat bucket

or

-Right hand to manuever and left hand to operate bucket?

I like #1, work with hands and feet, its wut I've always used.

JUSTINcredible
03-22-2006, 02:49 PM
i like # 1 better just because thats what im mostly used to.

has anyone driven the new all wheel steer bobcats? ive seen a couple but havent driven one yet. they have got to be a lot easier to operate on pavement and much easier on the tires.

Mxjunkie
03-22-2006, 03:05 PM
My dad is the head of a 10 million dollar job at his work so hes allways in and out of equitment sometimes I go and help. It's fun as hell, I have a bad back so I have to wear back braces if I get into the track loader or anything of the sort other then that its fun and easy if you know what your doing.

My dads friend who is working with them has a business they started working about 1-2 years ago on the project my dads work is doing, in that time he has bought a 80,000 dollar dump truck, 90 thousand dollar back hoe, a bob cat track loader and 2 new company trucks. And paid cash for all of them...

Very good money for the owners :p

Sjorge450R
03-22-2006, 03:39 PM
in the summer, i drive a skid loader and forklifts. Driving a skidloader is sort of like driving a RC car. You go backwards really fast and then punch it forward really fast and you are wheelying. Fun stuff, sometimes it hurts your back tho.

Mxjunkie
03-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
in the summer, i drive a skid loader and forklifts. Driving a skidloader is sort of like driving a RC car. You go backwards really fast and then punch it forward really fast and you are wheelying. Fun stuff, sometimes it hurts your back tho.

lmfao yeah, ever try dounuts in a forklift? :devil:

Sjorge450R
03-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
lmfao yeah, ever try dounuts in a forklift? :devil:

at least 3 times a day in the summer. And then go out on a steep road push the clutch so it grabs the brake, rev the engine and then dump the clutch. I can peel out up the entire road. Works better when its wet.

PismoLocal
03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I think most people could make a living off $38 a hour . Combine that with an income from a spouse and you'd be pretty well off in my area .

My dad worked as a miner for 31 years .... made roughly $25 -$28 an hour ... my mom worked in restaurants making probably $15 an hour as manager and we lived pretty good .... have a house , cottage , 2 vehicles plus a restored muscle car , sleds and quads ,most of the toys and always had food on the table .

What would be an average wage for someone living in Cali?? I know in my area $22 an hour would probably be average .... $25-28 would be above average ( which a lot of people earn because of the mines) . $38 an hour could send you up around triple digits in a year .

A small 1000-1200 sqft house in bad part of town here will run you around 500-600k here. A 1500 sqft house in an average neighborhood runs about 700-800k thats on a 1/3 to 1/2 acre lot . Gas prices here have been between 2.60 and 2.80 for over a year. 10 years ago housing was cheap in the area and then there was a huge real estate boom that raised prices through the roof and now nothing is affordable here. Some of my friends parents didnt buy a house befor it happened and now they are stuck and cant afford to buy. Its only this bad on the coast though inland housing is more reasonable. And once you get south of Ventura housing costs dive as you get deeper into LA County.

400exrider0004
03-22-2006, 04:51 PM
^^^exactly right^^^^

I live here in fresno and a 2000 sq. ft house will run anywhere from 500,000 to 700,000. And a 1000 to 1500 sq. ft house will run anywhere from 350,000 to 500,000. The prices in house skyrocketed in the last few years, and now its starting to settle. And in Pismo its even worse. We have a beach house in Pismo and its roughly running for 1 million. The part I like is its really close to the entrance of the dunes. :devil: Gas here is also around 2.50 to 3.00 a gallon, and its expected to go up. :eek2:

Quad18star
03-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Man I'd be moving away from Cali in a hurry .

Around here I can get a nice 2500 sq/ft home sitting on 450 acres of land for $300 000 .

Average home would run anywhere from $120 000 to $200 000 ( 200 000 being a NICE NICE home ) . My buddie's parent's are selling their place ... waterfront home ... brand new .... over 3000 sq/ft ... huge landscaped yard ... for $430 000 ... and that's expensive .

DieselBoy
03-22-2006, 05:52 PM
at least 3 times a day in the summer. And then go out on a steep road push the clutch so it grabs the brake, rev the engine and then dump the clutch. I can peel out up the entire road. Works better when its wet.

are you talking about a skidsteer/?:huh

ieatglue
03-22-2006, 06:00 PM
i put in water line for a living. i run excavators, back hoes, dozers, bore machines, skidsteers, and haul equipment with the semi. basically whatever they want me to do. i make $27/hour which is alright for around here.

Sjorge450R
03-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
are you talking about a skidsteer/?:huh

yeah, those things have a lot of names,

skidloader,skidsteer,bobcat.....depends were you live. Kinda like how some people pronounce water as wooder.

a 2200 sq/ft house around here with 1/2 acre of land goes for like 300,000.

DieselBoy
03-22-2006, 06:03 PM
what is this skidsteer clutch you speak of?

Sjorge450R
03-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
what is this skidsteer clutch you speak of?

i was refering to the forklifts.

DieselBoy
03-22-2006, 06:06 PM
ok...........lol

Scott-300ex
03-28-2006, 11:38 AM

Haha, Yeh, that is soooooo rough. I mean, Jesus, I did it like 5 times my whole life and regreted each and every one.

Your front end gets up then slams down then does that tons more and your back messes around.

Some hardcore bouncin!

And damn I don't think I could even buy a candy bar where you guys live. Around here its like 100,000-300,000 for a house.

DieselBoy
03-28-2006, 03:07 PM
How about when you're in "turbo" mode and your on pavement and you hit a pot hole and lose all control smashing all over the place or when you put the rpm's up start moving forward and hit the "turbo" button it grabs like a mofo and puts it on the back tires much like you're talking about.

MoToX199
03-28-2006, 04:44 PM
my dad does alot of heavy construction around nj and i work for him when ever im not in skool,i have been around it all my life so it never gets old for me, i love it to death,when i get out of skool i plan on taken over his buisness,anyway i mainly run excavators like a pc300 or cat 330/345, also backhoes like a john deere 410g or a cat 426,and also dozers like a cat d6/8 or john deere 650 lgp,i mainly operate bigger machines but it is allways fun to hop on the mini ones sometimes,but like everyone said it does get stressful sometimes but it makes it worth it when you have those good days

Plante400
03-28-2006, 07:30 PM
my family owns an excavating and paving business, i like it cuz its outside and i run everything but the worst is sitting in a loader all day screening gravel. ahhh i want to fall asleep