PDA

View Full Version : Elka Maintenance

Dave400ex
07-25-2002, 10:09 AM
I just want some Tips to keep my Elka`s working and looking good. In the Owner`s Manual it shows the only thing for the Owner to do is, Clean Exterior, Check Nuts, Lubricate Rebound adjustment knobs which I don`t have, and Grease the Bearing Ends. On the Bearing ends do you just pump some Grease into the holes where the Bolts go through???

This is what it says we can`t do, change oil, clean internal parts, check shaft, check shaft seal heads, check wear band, and check hoses. None of those can be done by us. I can look at the hoses to make sure they are ok but can`t do anything else.

So my Question is besides the 3 things we can do, what else do you Guys do? Do you lube anything else, etc? I am just looking for some Tips to keep them like New. Thanks

400exRacerX
07-25-2002, 11:17 AM
Get them serviced, I get mine serviced locally every 3 races.

Dave400ex
07-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Dang you get them Serviced that often? Most Guys say the Elka`s only need Serviced once a Year. Anymore Tips?

cdalejef
07-25-2002, 12:50 PM
Service once a year is all they need. Coat them down with WD40 or something similar after you wash them.

400exRacerX
07-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Yeah, but I only race once every month.

Dave400ex
07-25-2002, 03:08 PM
Ok that`s what I was looking for. Some Guys say to spray WD40 all over the Shocks and some say not to. So I just coat the whole shock/body and it won`t hurt anything like the plastic crossovers? How about the Compression knob? Thanks

Razorback
07-25-2002, 03:13 PM
i actually use my spray chain lube, since i got blasted before for using wd40. i guess wd40 will eat away at grease, so take that for what it's worth...

Dave400ex
07-25-2002, 03:34 PM
Well Chain Wax kind of makes a mess of stuff. I need to know what I should spray on them. I don`t want to use something bad for them. Some Guys say WD40, and then some say it`s Bad. I just need something to use. lol

T-R-X
07-25-2002, 09:38 PM
Just get a good pair of shock wears, and every time you clean your quad, get a brush and some simple green and clean the springs etc. let them dry( both the shock wears and the shocks. Just spray some wd 40 on a rag wipe down all the components on the shocks, and thats it. Takes time but keeps everything in check.

Dave400ex
07-25-2002, 09:44 PM
Well I have Elka Shock Covers and won`t ride without them on. I found that Contact Cleaner works real good on cleaning stuff. It`s like the Bel Ray 6061 Cleaner I don`t know but it cleans good. I will just spray some WD40 on a paper towel and then wipe everything even the Comp. knobs? Sounds good thanks a lot.

cdalejef
07-26-2002, 06:12 AM
WD40 will be fine on your shocks, it won't hurt a thing. You need to spray it directly on the shocks so it can get in behind the rings!

Dave400ex
07-26-2002, 07:26 AM
Ok I`m sure you have does this to more Elka`s then anybody else Jeff so next time I clean them I will spray some WD40 on the shocks and behind the crossovers. Plus the Comp. Knobs. Thanks for the help.

BadA$$440
07-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Hey Warriorman, did the Elka shock covers come with your shocks? I didnt get it. All i got was the shocks, owners manual, and a little allen wrench. I didnt get the preload collar adjuster thing like i should have and i didnt get shock covers ( dont know ifi was suppose to) whats up with that Jeff?

Razorback
07-26-2002, 09:44 AM
they don't come with the shocks. you have to order them separately. cost about $30 or so.

07-26-2002, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't spray my shocks with WD40 cause it will eat your rubber seals.

Dave400ex
07-26-2002, 10:33 AM
Scott gave me my Shock Covers free. I also got all my Tools and Manual.

See here we are again. Zeus is saying not to use WD40. Can I or can I not use WD40 on my shocks without hurting anything? I don`t want to mess them up. If not WD40 then what?

cdalejef
07-26-2002, 12:22 PM
WD40 will NOT harm rubber seals! I have been using it on my quads and bikes for 15 years. Shocks, O-ring chains, and coat my whole motor and frame. I used to work for Scott Summers, (factory Honda rider since 1990) team Honda buys this stuff by the gallons and uses it on everything.

Bad, call me and I'll send you an adjusting tool. Shock covers don't come with the shocks unless its a special deal like Warriordude got!:D

07-26-2002, 01:30 PM
They should come with shock covers, you spend $1000, and they want you to pay $30 for shock covers, come on you cheap dealers. You guys are making like a 20% mark up, and you can throw in a pair of free shock wears.

cdalejef
07-26-2002, 04:04 PM
When you buy a pair of shoes do they throw in the socks?:rolleyes:

Dave400ex
07-26-2002, 04:10 PM
Jeff that is a good point. lol. Shoes are under $100 most of the time though and Shocks are over $700 most of the time. Free shock covers would be nice, but it`s your choice.

Tommy 17
07-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
When you buy a pair of shoes do they throw in the socks?:rolleyes:

haha not to be a **** but champs gives u socks when u buy shoes haha...

honestly i don't want shockwears on my elkas... they look better without them and it won't wear off the paint...

400exRacerX
07-26-2002, 04:49 PM
I run shock covers up front to protect the seals from all the dirt and roost....etc But I dont run a cover on the rear.

Dave400ex
07-28-2002, 09:36 AM
Yeah the Covers are not for looks I only run them for the protection.

07-28-2002, 10:26 PM
Good ol WD40 advertises 1000+ uses in a single can. Well does anyone here think that they could be the best at all of them. I remember posting about this in the past and will be sending an email to a friend who works for mobil and hopefully will post his reply.

Wd is a good "all around" product as it will do many things. I have and use a lot of it for things like: loosing rusted bolts, cleaning diff parts, coating parts for rust prevention and many others too. The problem is that WD has many products in it and is not the best at anything I mention above so yes it will do it but no its not your best pick.

I also have concern that a product with petroleum based products (keroseen) in its mix be used with certain seals. I would not be using WD on any seals made from Buna rubber or neoprene. I doubt the damages would be servere enough to show up in a short time but over time I believe it would.

So basicly why not use wd for your wipe down and then a PTFE based product for your lube and maybe a true rust protectant coating on your very expensive shocks? What I do with mine!

To better understand what I am saying go find two windows or doors that are sticking, and spray one with WD and the other with a product that contains ptfe like Tri-Flo and if you have enough sticky dors and windows (slidding doors work great) also try a product with silicone like super lube. There will be a immediate noticable diff but after a few days and weeks you will be very suprised at how much better the other products continue to slide v/s the WD.

Just my .02

Dave400ex
07-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Ok so I can Wipe my Shocks down with it but not lube them? Where could I find a PTFE based lube and what is a good Brand? Thanks

07-29-2002, 12:02 AM
Well the where to get it depends on what part of the country you live in. Tri-flo has remained mostly a industrial product in the more ne states. Super Lube seems to be avail in many chain auto and dept type stores. You could allways try the local hardware guys too.

While I seem to be having a prob finding the web site I have come up with some interesting stuff in the wd40 v/s ? debate.

hope these links work.

http://www.pdq-archery.com/pdq2001_038.htm (http://)

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/lists/archive/vfr/199809/msg00064.html (http://)

http://www.super-lube.com/ (http://)

http://www.dupont.com/teflon/fluoroadditives/about.html (http://)

Dave400ex
07-29-2002, 10:15 AM
I live in Indiana. I may just go into Auto Zone and look for a PTFE lube. Does the brand really matter as long as it is a PTFE?

None of the Links would Work.

07-29-2002, 10:42 AM
The only diff I have seen between the PTFE lubes is how they suspend the PTFE and some changes in the base lube itself, yes its no biggie.

Sorry about the links I just dont seem to this right, maybe try pasting in your browser.

07-29-2002, 12:12 PM
Also one more thing that WD is good for, and it doesn't say on the can, is fishing hooks. There is something in the wd, that when you spray your hook it will attrack fish.

07-29-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Zeus
There is something in the wd, that when you spray your hook it will attrack fish.

Will the lube make it easier to take the fish off????:huh :eek: :D

07-29-2002, 12:37 PM
No, cause usally the fish will attack the hook more, when there is something on it that atracks them.

07-29-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Zeus
No, cause usally the fish will attack the hook more, when there is something on it that atracks them.

I was just thinkin with the WD-40 on there it would make the hook slippery and help the fish come off easier...I was bein a little sarcastic actuallly...:o BUt I'll try that,,I fish about every weekend..:cool:

Dave400ex
07-29-2002, 12:47 PM
Thanks 440EX4me. I am gonna look for a PTFE lube the next time we go to Wal Mart and if they don`t have one I will have to go to Auto Zone.

rowlrag
07-29-2002, 10:45 PM
WD, Pennzoil Z-3, or Liquid wrench, hey.piss on your shocks if you want, it don't make a damn difference what you use cause your gonna ride it get it dirty then wash all that stuff off. By the time WD eats your seals the 2099 models will be out, use the cheap **** cause its main purpose is to help rid water. Grease your stuff every couple months and you will extend the inevitable!
:eek: :square :blah :o :p
By the way, what kind of air are you guys using in yer tires?:eek:

07-29-2002, 10:53 PM
Thats really a good point there rawlrag especially if your useing it for a coating or rust prventitive. There are some excelent products used in both the marine and aviation fields that will provide great results. One I know of is called boshield t9, and its great stuff, stops rust etc and really stays put.

The recomendations I had made earlier were not as much for rust prevention but rather for areas where there is friction, like on the springs, knobs and spring cross overs etc.

Crazy4bluEx
07-30-2002, 03:04 AM
So rico did the WD attract fish?? i find that interesting...lol....
i might have to try that one out myself.

Now to the ELKA's, how do you all like your shocks? i have been thinking about them for awhile now. Do they hold up to the quality of the other brands, such as PEP and AXIS? if they are on the same level as works then i dont even want to bother, i have heard to many horror stories!!..

but imo the ELKA shocks seem to be made heavy duty..

*K*

cdalejef
07-30-2002, 07:01 AM
Works aren't even in the same league as Elka. Mine work as good as the Axis shocks I have ridden on.

Dave400ex
07-30-2002, 09:01 AM
Rowlrag you say to Grease them every couple Rides, but where do I Grease them? In the Owner`s Manual all it says to Grease is the Bearing Ends? Is there anything else Jeff? I will find a good Lube to coat them with.

cdalejef
07-30-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Rowlrag you say to Grease them every couple Rides, but where do I Grease them? In the Owner`s Manual all it says to Grease is the Bearing Ends? Is there anything else Jeff? I will find a good Lube to coat them with. Ya, rowlrag was talking about the ends. That should be all they need!:cool:

rowlrag
07-30-2002, 07:02 PM
Rowlrag says every couple months!

Dave400ex
07-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Ok thanks. Now I just have to find a PTFE lube.