PDA

View Full Version : Fitting throttle and lever on twinwalls?

BLEEDRED
03-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Anybody have a way to better fit the throttle and front brake lever on a set or renthal twinwalls? It looks like it's going to work, but there won't be room for the full grip. I know the bar is meant to be used with a twist throttle, but I thought maybe there was a way to make it work better with a thumb throttle. Thanks in advance!!

NacsMXer
03-20-2006, 12:21 PM
It really depends on your particular handlebar bend. I used to use T2's in SX bend, but I switched to the mini bend, and it is much narrower from end to end. My throttle/front brake lever area is cramped due to the narrow width of the bend I use causing the front brake lever to be angled up slightly and not completely lined up with the bars. I only use one or two fingers on the front brake anyways, so i've just learned to deal with it.

There's really not much you can do about it unless you get a wider bar.

BLEEDRED
03-20-2006, 12:24 PM
See, the problem with the twinwall is that you can only slide the brake lever so far until you hit the second tube which is 1 1/8"...I already ground a little off the brake lever clamp and the throttle housing. Did you just cut the grip to fit?

NacsMXer
03-20-2006, 01:32 PM
I am running 1 1/8" bars as well so my setup should be similar to yours. My front brake lever is basically mounted right before the bar starts tapering into the oversized section, which causes it to sit up at a slight angle. I didn't have to cut my grip, but I did slide my throttle housing and smash it into the grip a little bit to add some more room for everything.

That whole area is cramped for me, you can see I have to have my killswitch held on with zip ties since it's basically mounted on the fat part of the bar where it starts getting bigger. These bars I have are like a good 1-2 inches narrower than any other common bar (mini bend) so I could not imagine yours could be much worse. Try pushing the throttle into the grip like I did to get a little more room in there.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid174/pe20e2f01315975fd8e7e13b2d6eb650a/f38ff994.jpg