PDA

View Full Version : My first race on a big-bore 4-stroke, feel free to share ( yea im bored )

yamablaster24
03-19-2006, 10:37 PM
It was a cold October night in 2004, My brother had just bought a used 400ex from Pennsylvania and my Boss and his son and most of my co-workers were going to Sandusky Speedway motocross track. He offered me a ride to the track and back and even without riding the 400 i figured it would be a fun time to get out there and try somethin new. This 400ex was a 2000 model. It had some 250r front shocks that were almost fully compressed with no rider on the quad, 23" Mud Viper rear tires with full tread, Maxxis Sur-track 22" tires on the front, Zip tied fenders and a worn out seat.

the day after i raced it: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/yamablaster24/raceatsandusky10-8-04005.jpg

I had previously raced my blaster and that was the only experience i had of racing. This was a whole new level of racing and i was scared sheeeetless. I started the quad up and then signed up, and found out i was 24x, i put on some rubber tape x's and went out for practice with my ticket stub. The first lap of practice i came up behind a 300ex over a 15 foot double and somehow managed to clear the double and looked down to see that the 300 was below me the entire time. I did my 4 laps on the track and was dead tired. I felt good but the 400 had way too much power and the suspension was killing me. I watched the first couple motos go and went pee 2 or 3 times between those motos and mine. I finally got the nerves to go to my boss's trailer and get suited up. I got everything on and half choked the quad, turned the gas on, made sure tire pressure was good on all the tires, and started the beast up. This 400ex did not have a baffle and sounded like a rhino breaking wind. The sound of it starting up brought the realization of this race to me. I pulled in the clutch, turned off the choke ( after digging around under the gas tank for what seemed like eternity ) and put her in 1st with a couple robust hits of the boot (didnt shift well) and was off to the starting gate. I was 2 motos early and started to notice my opponents. A z400 extended on both ends with works shocks, LSR axle, and a nice slip-on and some goofy ebay brand a-arms. Next was a decent modded 450r without a-arms or shocks but still had tires and a pipe and some other stuff. Next, a 473? warrior with everything, pretty much a money pit, next a worked KFX, a YFZ with tires and a pipe, another worked 400ex, and some other bike. Before i knew it we were lined up and the gate was ready to drop, the person holding the 2 second board pointed at me and i nodded my head, i then realized i did not put my goggles on...i waved to him with no avail and he dropped the board sideways, i realized that i wasnt putting them on so i got in my racing crouch and watched the gate. When i noticed the slightest movement i dumped that clutch and rode a wheelie from 2nd to shifting to 3rd gear to the first corner. I did not let off and made sure i was the first to the first turn. Out of the corner of my eye i noticed the warrior and 450r collide sending the warrior tumbling nearly hitting me and the 450r almost lost it but managed to save it. Being the rookie i was i let off and the 450r got in front of me. I was then in 2nd place closely followed by a z400. I went about my race doing everything the 450r was and riding this bike as fast it would go, the end of the 2nd lap the 450r stalled in a corner and for the first time in my life i led a race. by this time i was so elated that i was filled head to toe with highest adrenaline rush i had ever felt. I held the throttle on that 400ex wide open on the rev limited in 2nd, and 3rd gear when i could and jumped everything the 250r shocks would absorb and then a lot more. I dont remember much after getting first but i do remember pulling off and a crowd coming to my bike and knocking me off with cheer and excitement saying i was hauling *****, saying i was completely sideways when goin through the whoops, asking how long i had raced 400's for everything, just in amazement. I had never felt so good and just had the cotent that i had just gotten my first- first place in a race.Between the first and second motos was my 15 minutes of fame but more like an hour. All my co-workers could not believe the race i rode and all that. The second moto i got to the gate a lot less nervous and lot more excited. The gate dropped (with goggles on mind you ) and i was off. I was in 3rd place with the 450r in front and a 426 in second. The race ended this way and i got third. But...the 450r finished 6th and the 426 4th in the first moto giving me...the overall. Yes i got the 1st place trophy. Lets just say i had one of the happiest rides home and well after this night i could die happy.

exboy
03-20-2006, 07:53 PM
good god dude no ones gon read all that, but i may could sell you my stock 400ex shocks, but first ive gotta get some 450r shocks for miine.

03-20-2006, 08:30 PM
I did and i found it quite interseting. Conrgaulations

LuckyOxygen
03-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Heard it before...but congrats

Tom TRX250R
03-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Congrats man!!! Sounded like an adrenaline rush:eek2:

flyin#5
03-20-2006, 11:04 PM
'tear' that was touching

YZEATER
03-21-2006, 10:41 AM
spider tracs, not mud vipers.

03-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Good story man..

03-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I thought it was pretty cool. Very descriptive and made me feel like i was there. Are u still nervous at the starting gate now that uve got some races behind u?

PolarisRider
03-21-2006, 03:23 PM
good story

400exrules
03-21-2006, 03:27 PM
cool, but that looks like a ragged out 400

MR.BIG
03-21-2006, 03:45 PM
I can't believe you did a motorcross race with spider tracs. Good job!

400exstud
03-21-2006, 04:33 PM
1st is a huge feat for anyone, much less a rookie driving garbage.:p

exrider008
03-21-2006, 06:28 PM
thats pritty cool cangrats! we all know u wont cuz its a HONDA:p

theTman
03-21-2006, 06:38 PM
sweetness

yamablaster24
03-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Honda MaNiAc 01
I thought it was pretty cool. Very descriptive and made me feel like i was there. Are u still nervous at the starting gate now that uve got some races behind u?

im actually just as nervous now, just because its a lot more serious now but yeah i still almost lose bladder control every time the board goes sideways...anyone else like that?

03-22-2006, 05:42 PM
i get nervous going to an open practice at a track for the first time. Id piss myself going to a race

400ex28
03-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by flyin#5
'tear' that was touching