PDA

View Full Version : Contrversial BREAK-IN READ!!!!!!!

Big - D Racing
03-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Everyone check out this site and let me know what you think, I am by no means a professional engine builder but I do perform most of the work on my bike besides machine work. This break-in procedure is unlike anything I have ever heard from any engine builder before, but it sounds like it makes sense to me. Any engine builders what do you think about the article. Here it is:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

GPracer2500
03-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Mototune's ideas have been around for a while. I like to split the difference--run em' hard but not too hard.

94F450SD
03-19-2006, 06:37 PM
i was always told to break an engine in the way your gonna run it.and i run everything hard.

NacsMXer
03-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I asked Lazarus from GT Thunder about this and he had no objections to it. He told me that when he builds a fresh motor for his racers, they just run them like they normally would.

Of course you would also need to adjust the valves again at some point after everything is broken in. Proper engine pre start-up lubrication is also a must as well.

honda460ex
03-19-2006, 08:25 PM
I have always been told by a couple friends who build race car motors... Run it like your going to run it... They say if its going to come apart or anything go wrong with it, it will happen regardless. I can understand not running it extremely hard just so you can break in the rings decently.

400exrider707
03-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Thats how I break in my engines. Just make sure its nice and warm before you give her he11.

phildogg
03-20-2006, 05:09 PM
thats the way I've always done engines..
phil

jordan_m6
03-20-2006, 05:13 PM
im kind of partial. i start slow but before the end of the day im running 3/4 throttle. i have had no problems with my 400 it actually ran really strong.

wilkin250r
03-21-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm in the middle.

Really, I think much of it depends on how the engine was built, your piston material, and your clearance specs.

The traditional method of slow-delicate heat cycles is better for the piston. If you have very tight tolerances and cylinder/bore clearance, you run a serious risk of seizure if you drop the hammer during break-in. You need to give it it time to expand and contract, work out all it's internal stresses, and wear into the cylinder properly.

The flipside is that high cylinder pressures are good for seating the rings, and those high cylinder pressures aren't going to happen at idle. And if you have a loose cylinder/bore clearance, you BETTER get a good seal on those rings.

So, I say your break-in depends on your motor setup and piston material. If you have a tight clearance, break it in slowly. With a tight clearance, ring seal isn't quite as critical, because your piston seals better. However, if you have a loose clearance, drop the hammer.

Just my $.02

1fst400
03-21-2006, 02:36 PM
I actually broke my motor in 2 days ago. I ran it for about 2 min at idle. Then after that I got on it and did some 3/4 throttle acceleration in 3rd gear. Keeping the revs low.

after that I let er rip, but still havent really reved the pisser out of it.

motochamp250
03-21-2006, 04:43 PM
my 400 was broke in by riding hte hell outta it and it is faster than some other 400's ive rode even with some more work...

Cody_300ex
03-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Ride just like you usally ride, but try to stay off the rev limiter and always keep the revs up and down. Don't hold it a one RPM for an excessive amount of time. Thats how I've broken all mine in....

Glamis400ex
03-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey Danny,

when I built my 416, I did that type of break-in. I rode it fairly hard but I did let it cool completly between hard runs.

I did the break-in at Glamis, but I had my rock tires on.

Alin

Big - D Racing
03-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Hey Alin,

How have you been? Yeah I am breaking my bike in this weekend at Superstition and I think that is how I am going to do it, ride it hard and seal the rings up. I think end of April a bunch of people are heading out for a Pismo Beach trip, you should head up there. Probably the last weekend we are planning it now. First trip to Pismo for me though, can't wait.

Glamis400ex
03-21-2006, 07:53 PM
What up Danny, everythings sweet

There's a difference in getting on it and loading the engine and flogging the hell out of it. Just don't PIN it. Ride it hard, vary the RPM's and most important is shut her down after 20 minutes and let it cool completely. I did that system like a total of 8-10 times in a day and the next day I just rode it like regular. My 416 runs real strong...no smoke what so ever... but I do have a very small HG leak I need to fix. I did get a full HMF pipe and I'd still like to get an 39FCR if I can't find one for a good price.

Don't use paddles to break it in either. You need the tire spin.

I'm going to Gordons (ogilby) the 27th - 1st. That'll probably be my last time.