View Full Version : What to do...

ZeroLogic
03-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Well I really don't know what to get. Either a bike or quad. I want something a lot faster. I'm always in the high revs also so I'm leaning towards a two stroke quad or bike. I want something fast, nice, cheap and fun. But I really don't have the money to replace a $100 part every other week. I heard bikes are cheap to maintain but they get boring after a while. Quads are extreamly fun but they are extreamly expensive also. I ride trails and the local pits. I want to race also soon. By the end of this comming up summer I'm hoping to get three grand to either go into a quad or bike. I was looking at the 250r. I love the way they look and I want one so bad. But how often do you have to replace parts on it? How often do you have to replace the pistion and rings in it also? And I was also looking at a Cr125 or Yz125 bike. They are nice but bikes get boring after a bit. Orrrr my third choice is to stick with my 300ex and put quite a bit of money into it. Such as a arms, shocks, engine, mods, ect... Any suggestions? What do you guys think.

97blaster200
03-19-2006, 04:31 PM
u should get a banshee....they are fun!:blah:

antman
03-19-2006, 04:37 PM
i so know what you mean... I only hate one thing about quads ... and thats how much they cost. even used they can be expensive.

Honda400exrox
03-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Well I really don't know what to get. Either a bike or quad. I want something a lot faster. I'm always in the high revs also so I'm leaning towards a two stroke quad or bike. I want something fast, nice, cheap and fun. But I really don't have the money to replace a $100 part every other week. I heard bikes are cheap to maintain but they get boring after a while. Quads are extreamly fun but they are extreamly expensive also. I ride trails and the local pits. I want to race also soon. By the end of this comming up summer I'm hoping to get three grand to either go into a quad or bike. I was looking at the 250r. I love the way they look and I want one so bad. But how often do you have to replace parts on it? How often do you have to replace the pistion and rings in it also? And I was also looking at a Cr125 or Yz125 bike. They are nice but bikes get boring after a bit. Orrrr my third choice is to stick with my 300ex and put quite a bit of money into it. Such as a arms, shocks, engine, mods, ect... Any suggestions? What do you guys think.

I replace the rings every 40 hours of riding time on my CR85, the 125's will probably be the same

ZeroLogic
03-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Bump any suggestions on what to get? Money is a big factor for me.:ermm:

PolarisRider
03-19-2006, 04:58 PM
i love the 250r's also, but they are alot of money. If i were you, I would get a 2004 and below 400ex. They are going for cheap because they dont have reverse. Unless you want reverse that much, then your a P****:ermm: Or you could put money into your 300 and make it as fast as a 400

pastfast125
03-19-2006, 05:01 PM
"but bikes get boring after a bit" Ur crazy:D I love dirtbikes, quads get boring to me after a while, no talent in riding a quad, now dirtbiking takes talent. I would much rather ride a dirtbike than a quad, dont get me wrong, quads are fun, but I just think dirtbikes are more fun.

Blue250X
03-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by pastfast125
"but bikes get boring after a bit" Ur crazy:D I love dirtbikes, quads get boring to me after a while, no talent in riding a quad, now dirtbiking takes talent. I would much rather ride a dirtbike than a quad, dont get me wrong, quads are fun, but I just think dirtbikes are more fun.

GET OFF MY (yes my) SITE!!!! haha, only joking, i love riding dirtbikes too and would have a yz125 if my dad would have let me trade:p

PolarisRider
03-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Blue250X
GET OFF MY (yes my) SITE!!!! haha, only joking, i love riding dirtbikes too and would have a yz125 if my dad would have let me trade:p

Cant trade it in the state it's in now!!!!

Hondadudeehhhh
03-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Bump any suggestions on what to get? Money is a big factor for me.:ermm:

well then dont make any plans to start racing.

If you are trail riding you probably will only have to do a top end in a 125 once a year.

ZeroLogic
03-19-2006, 05:37 PM
How much does it cost to race? Like in parts. Do you guys have an average per a month in parts?

DOHC
03-19-2006, 07:08 PM
If u want a 125 go with a honda, the cr's seem to last alittle longer and run a little better. My old cr 80 ran way better than my frinends yz 85, and his always ate spark plugs. If u want something fast for a bike look into a crf250r 4 stroke they r nuts for power trust me i have one my friends rm 125 doesnt stand a chance against it ;)

03-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Im going with a SX125 all the way on this one.

pastfast125
03-19-2006, 07:33 PM
^^ agreed:macho

trx400exxracer
03-19-2006, 07:37 PM
How much does it cost to race? Like in parts. Do you guys have an average per a month in parts? my XC expenses

well just for maintenence you are looking after every 3 non muddy races changing the brake pads which cost $15 and you got to buy 3 sets which is $45 but in muddy races my rear pads get eaten on the 1st lap:( oil change after every 2 0r 3 races and I ride a 400ex you have to change the oil in a 450 more often also oil filters at $2.35 for my quad etc.

there is a lot more those are just some of the basic stuff

03-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
my XC expenses

well just for maintenence you are looking after every 3 non muddy races changing the brake pads which cost $15 and you got to buy 3 sets which is $45 but in muddy races my rear pads get eaten on the 1st lap:( oil change after every 2 0r 3 races and I ride a 400ex you have to change the oil in a 450 more often also oil filters at $2.35 for my quad etc.

there is a lot more those are just some of the basic stuff

Take off your parking brake, save you some $$.:eek:

trx400exxracer
03-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by banshee91
Take off your parking brake, save you some $$.:eek:

parking brake was the first thing I took off

I RIDE HARD:eek2:

ZeroLogic
03-19-2006, 08:14 PM
So you guys think I should go with a bike?

03-19-2006, 08:47 PM
So you guys think I should go with a bike?

Yea all the way, go with the sx125 all the way. www.ktm.com

ZeroLogic
03-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Ah, I'm not sure. I really love riding quads. I eat sleep and breath quads. Hard decision...

I also don't want to spend a nice amount of money on a bike and get bored with it a couple days later. I know on a quad I won't ever get bored of it. But the money is a pretty big factor. If I were to get a 250r, I figure, having to rebuild the top end every month and a half, bearings, brakes, and other crap that brakes adds up to about ohh I'd say about $200 dollars every month and a half. Not including gas and oil. I've got a lot better at riding quads and I think I'm a pretty good rider. Not to be cocky or anything. But it would be a shame to throw it all away and start over on something different if you know what I mean.

ZeroLogic
03-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Oh and by the way, I'm not aloud to get a job while I'm in school because of my dad so I have to wait til the summer.:ermm:

03-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Yea all the way, go with the sx125 all the way. www.ktm.com HAHA I wouldn't recomend a KTM to a monkey. Kick Till Monday!

ZeroLogic
03-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Bump....

Blue250X
03-20-2006, 04:44 AM
I also don't want to spend a nice amount of money on a bike and get bored with it a couple days later.

ok, this is what im gunna tell you, if you really dont want to get bored......go buy a 250cc twostroke, and bore it/stroke it. then, try, just try, to get bored on that:devil:

rbgnwa45
03-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Blue250X
ok, this is what im gunna tell you, if you really dont want to get bored......go buy a 250cc twostroke, and bore it/stroke it. then, try, just try, to get bored on that:devil:

x2 Y2K+ 2-stroke 250...

PismoLocal
03-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by pastfast125
I've had a Cr250 for the past 4 1/2 years and I honestly think it takes a lot more talent to ride track on a quad then a dirtbike. Trail riding might be a different story but i dont know because ive never been trail riding on a bike befor.

Mxjunkie
03-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
HAHA I wouldn't recomend a KTM to a monkey. Kick Till Monday!

;)

They are expensive as hell to mataine as well and the handling is choppy as hell. I dont like my cousins 125 the least bit, I like the power and overall feel but the handling of the other bikes is night and day.

jwick07
03-20-2006, 12:14 PM
why do you keep saying you'll have to rebuild the top end on a 250r every 4 months?? I know several guys who ride the hell out their 250r's and they dont change them that often at all. And its a 2 smoke so its very easy to do when you have to.

Just invest in a good piston kit when you have to change out the piston the first time and youll keep good compression for a lot longer than 4 months.

97blaster200
03-20-2006, 12:32 PM
my brother has a atc250r...if u dont know what that is...is basically a 250r motor in a 3 wheeler chassis. he has had the 3 wheeler for about 5 or 6 years...and guess what? he has NEVER had to change the top end! the motor has never been apart since he has gotten it!

03-20-2006, 04:52 PM
HAHA I wouldn't recomend a KTM to a monkey. Kick Till Monday!

Your the gayest kid i know, better watch them kawasakis and suzkis, you will get a sun burn standing 5 feet from thoses red hot bad boys.

03-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Your the gayest kid i know, better watch them kawasakis and suzkis, you will get a sun burn standing 5 feet from thoses red hot bad boys. You've never ridden a KTM have you? The only comeback you can come up with is calling me gay. Original. I've ridden 2 KTM's, and that was 2 too many!

03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
You've never ridden a KTM have you? The only comeback you can come up with is calling me gay. Original. I've ridden 2 KTM's, and that was 2 too many!

ya i have, and gay wasent the only thing i said, but i geuss its feel, you say there **** and i say there pretty sweet, mabe its your alot taller?

zeppelin
03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by DOHC
If u want a 125 go with a honda, the cr's seem to last alittle longer and run a little better. My old cr 80 ran way better than my frinends yz 85, and his always ate spark plugs. If u want something fast for a bike look into a crf250r 4 stroke they r nuts for power trust me i have one my friends rm 125 doesnt stand a chance against it ;)
i completely disagree with you, hondas 125 was in the back of the pack even when they were actualy updateing it. now that it has gone 3 years with out an update you can consider it anceit technology. i say yz125 or the ktm if you cant get the yamaha, anything else is just sad

03-20-2006, 05:09 PM
ya i have, and gay wasent the only thing i said, but i geuss its feel, you say there **** and i say there pretty sweet, mabe its your alot taller? The rear end on ktms has a tendency to ride a little high, which makes the head angle steeper than it needs to be and causes headshake.
A steering stabilizer and cutting down the subframe is often neccisary to make them handle halfway decent. I've ridden a sxf250 and a 125sx, and they sucked. The motors are both incredible, but the choppiness of the suspension is awful. Oh, i'm sorry, you trashed my kawi's AND said I was gay. That gets you 2 extra points. Thanks for the heads up:rolleyes:

03-20-2006, 05:13 PM
I rode the 85, it seemed alright, my cr was beat to hell and pulled through, i had a rm80 befor that and it never once did not start for me.

03-20-2006, 05:16 PM
I rode the 85, it seemed alright, my cr was beat to hell and pulled through, i had a rm80 befor that and it never once did not start for me. What? Are you saying your cr85 beat the KTM and then that you had an RM80? That post was pretty confusing:ermm:

trx400exxracer
03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
The rear end on ktms has a tendency to ride a little high, which makes the head angle steeper than it needs to be and causes headshake.
A steering stabilizer and cutting down the subframe is often neccisary to make them handle halfway decent. I've ridden a sxf250 and a 125sx, and they sucked. The motors are both incredible, but the choppiness of the suspension is awful. Oh, i'm sorry, you trashed my kawi's AND said I was gay. That gets you 2 extra points. Thanks for the heads up:rolleyes:

do you expect the suspension from the factory to be amzingly smooth

do some revalving by the right person and then ride a KTM

you are never going to find a stock dream bike

03-20-2006, 05:20 PM
What? Are you saying your cr85 beat the KTM and then that you had an RM80? That post was pretty confusing:ermm:

Ya it was, i was responding to zeplin and what DOHC said about the cr out running the yz.

03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
do you expect the suspension from the factory to be amzingly smooth

do some revalving by the right person and then ride a KTM

you are never going to find a stock dream bike

Or instead of this arguing i could of just said that.:confused:

03-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Ah, I'm not sure. I really love riding quads. I eat sleep and breath quads. Hard decision...

I also don't want to spend a nice amount of money on a bike and get bored with it a couple days later. I know on a quad I won't ever get bored of it. But the money is a pretty big factor. If I were to get a 250r, I figure, having to rebuild the top end every month and a half, bearings, brakes, and other crap that brakes adds up to about ohh I'd say about $200 dollars every month and a half. Not including gas and oil. I've got a lot better at riding quads and I think I'm a pretty good rider. Not to be cocky or anything. But it would be a shame to throw it all away and start over on something different if you know what I mean.

Are you retarded? New top end, bearings and brakes every month? OOOOOOOOKKKKKKK, not unless you race pro in GNC.

ZeroLogic
03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
Are you retarded? New top end, bearings and brakes every month? OOOOOOOOKKKKKKK, not unless you race pro in GNC.

Even if I ride every weekend and run the **** out of the engine?

ZeroLogic
03-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Also, banshee91 and MXFourTwoEight, please take your BSing somewhere else. Before my thread gets closed.;)