PDA

View Full Version : 400ex or z-400

*FoX*KiD*
07-24-2002, 10:43 PM
I've been looking at a new bike and i can't decide weather a 400ex or a z-400.

the z-400 has reverse and has alil more hp than the ex and the white and black looks really cool

but i've alwasy been a honda man

what do you guys think

Castor-426ex
07-25-2002, 12:30 AM
ok you might as well flip a coin....unless

im not gonna flame the z is ok by me...
But I love my ex and Ive had ZERO probs since i bought it
i dont care about reverse
and I plan on putting more money in the motor..

it all depends on what floats your boat

Striker49
07-25-2002, 01:49 AM
He is right. Its gonna be a matter of your opinion in the end.

Suzuki Z400 Quadsport:
-New
-Slightly better all around that the 400ex
-Reliability unproven but so far no major problems that I have seen
-Liquid cooled
-Reverse

Honda Sportrax400EX:
-Couple years old
-Still one of the best handling quads on the market & stock setup is still good
-Reliablity proven, few bikes compare
-Air cooled
-No reverse

freakystone
07-25-2002, 06:13 AM
People think I am biased but I have both. I am also buying a Speed soon. But the Z400 is what the 400EX should have been. The only problem I had with my 400EX was the dealer I bought it from. It was wonderful. I had that same tingly feeling when I rode it that I had when I got an 86 200X three wheeler back in 1986 and I have owned over 30 rides between the two. Those type of bikes breed confidence.

I bought the Z soley because of reverse. We mud alot and without reverse you really dont stand a chance of getting out. I didnt expect it to be such an improvement. Actually I expected to loose some handling performance.

What I found out once I broke her in, was that she has the low end of a 400EX with the bang of a 250R and the handling of both. Worry not, I am not getting sponsor bucks like the magazines. You really have to ride one for more than 5 minutes to see what I mean.

I have started modding mine so she is getting badder and badder by the week. A buddy of mine has a Cannibal and we were neck and neck for a while but I beat him hands down now with the mods. Needless to say he is selling his Raptor and buying a Z.

Kicker is, I got the Z for $4954.00 OTD.

sandman
07-25-2002, 09:52 AM
A buddy of mine has a Cannibal and we were neck and neck for a while but I beat him hands down now with the mods. Needless to say he is selling his Raptor and buying a Z.

This doesnt make sence does your buddy have a cannibal or a raptor?

Glad you like your Z400 they sure do look good.... Hope it holds up to a beating like the 400EX's do

freakystone
07-25-2002, 10:09 AM
He has both... He bought the Raptor as his day to day quad and the Dale as the racer.

sandman
07-25-2002, 10:13 AM
That must be nice to have 2 nice quads like that......

freakystone
07-25-2002, 10:16 AM
You would thin so, but he is miserable. He has other quads too and he doesnt know which one to ride. So needless to say, he isnt super at riding any of them...

sandman
07-25-2002, 10:20 AM
thats a shame wish i had the same problem....

Looks like you have alot of toy's as well!

R-Crazy
07-25-2002, 02:44 PM
id rather mod out the only one i have than have two stockers.

dave

Nausty
07-25-2002, 04:42 PM
400ex is well prove, bullet proof almost and just about the best mx quad stock or modded only behind a 250r The z also only puts out about 2hp max in top hp which is basicly a pipe on a 400ex and there are definitely gonna be even when you do the other tricks you can do to it like throttle, holes in air box, remove choke and all the other little things and you are for sure gonna be at about the same hp all around compared to z. Its also a lot cheaper and if you look around i'm sure you could find some for 5100 or around there.

bermbanger400
07-25-2002, 06:30 PM
only thing i would be worried about on the Z is the swingarm i just dont think it is gonna hold up to alot of abuse.

a aftermarket swing arm is kinda pricey.so i would take that into consideration before buying.

just my thoughts :)

New-400ex_guy
07-26-2002, 12:58 AM
i think the swingarm will hold up is the axle that looks like it wont, and seems to be the only problem with the z, mine hasnt bent but i dont jump ( only on accident :D ) since this is my first quad and im learning. i think a + 4 lsr would be better anyways :) . the power of the z stock is about the same as a piped and jetted 400ex, now that i have my pipe its more like the power of a raptor. ive ridden 3 ex's and they rode mine. they said the same. if i could get my jetting down it would go even better ( stupid vacuum operated mikumi , why didnt they go with the same carb as the drz dirtbike :( ). reverse is really nice now that i have it.

they only thing the z loses is in reliablity and not a good aftermarket yet. and so far my Z has been more reliable than my 400ex.

VooDuu Child
07-26-2002, 01:13 AM
I had the same choice as you. Fortunately, the dealer I was working with to buy the honda started screwing me around with the deal, so I wasn't able to get it. Then I saw the ad for the Z. I ended up waiting a few months, and both my girl and I bought one. Both have been nothing but fun. Totally happy with them and nothing wrong with either. Remember one very important thing when all the EX'ers tell you reverse is not that special, well, in order to miss something, you need to have had it first. And lemme tell ya, it's so freakin nice if you do any sort of trailing at all. I use it so much it is not funny. AND, it does take to mods much much better due to it's liquid cooling AND dual overhead cams. And think about later on, yeah, ex has tons of parts, BUT, that's only cause it's been out for so long. It's still only one bike. When kawi puts out it's version, same thing, diff plastic, two bikes, same parts=cheaper and more plentiful parts since there's two different bikes, same quad. Good for us, the buyer. It's all up to you, I am totally happy with my Z. Keep us posted with whatcha get. And don't worry about things like the bottom end, it really opens up after fifteen to twenty hours. And if you don't get a pipe and jets after getting any bike, well, you only got yourself to blame for the power. The stock pipes suck as do airboxes. That pretty much goes for all quads. Sorry so long. The engine in the Z has been out for years with no problems except running past it's competition.

spincr4hire
07-26-2002, 09:56 AM
I'd get the Kawasaki....green is cool :devil

freakystone
07-26-2002, 10:31 AM
You should wait for the red one. I heard that Honda is gonna just buy it from Suzuki and put red plastic on it. ;)

spincr4hire
07-26-2002, 10:54 AM
..yeah, and yamaha is putting out the blue Z, :D
I think all the companies should stop making their current sport models, and just buy the Z and slap their name on it ;),

VooDuu Child
07-26-2002, 12:39 PM
That all sounds good to me, I want as many extra's for sale as possible. The more machines that have the same premis just means more plentiful and less expensive parts. Good for us again, the consumer. I welcome the copies. We love our 2 Z's.

Zero Z400
07-28-2002, 12:17 PM
I totally agree with vooduu child, i use reverse all the time. I make fun of my frineds who don'y have it but its just a joke. Bermbanger, the Z's is most likely better than the ex's, alot of people have broken their swingarms on this site. The only thing the Z needs is a much stronger axle, i havn't bent mine yet but if u just look at it its looks weak. If ur Z is beating a Cannibal then u must be alot better than ur friend, the c-dales can beat Raptors according to everyone and mags.

Later

OutlawEX
07-30-2002, 11:42 PM
400ex:huh :devil :confused: :blah :grr

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-30-2002, 11:43 PM
Go with the 400ex :D

Porkchop
07-31-2002, 12:28 AM
stick with a four hunny...... give honda a few more years they've got to come out with something new! honda's the best on earth, did you know that?!? just a little comon sence for you fellers out there :D

yamaha1470
07-31-2002, 05:16 AM
what about the kawasakis? I hear people always talkin about the suzukis. Are the kawasakis out yet?

sandman
07-31-2002, 05:56 AM
get the 400ex they are ROCK SOLID.....

racin 400
07-31-2002, 08:29 PM
Freaky stone i am sorry to tell u but your Z-400 cant beat a c dale speed.

New-400ex_guy
07-31-2002, 09:32 PM
he has the fcr carb, cams so he should be able to beat a stock c-dale, if the dale had a pipe and moto mapping no way though.

*FoX*KiD*
08-02-2002, 10:26 AM
come on more ppl need to vote cuz its tired right now

freakystone
08-02-2002, 02:39 PM
Ask the moderators to adjust the poll...:D

01TRX300EX
08-03-2002, 05:01 PM
400EX=:huh
Z400=:cool: