View Full Version : Need some opinions

450R-156
03-19-2006, 12:16 PM
What do you all think should i put new suspension and several other mods into my 04 R for motocross racing and save some money or would it be worth it to spend the extra money on a 06 Rn and put new suspension and other mods into that.

03-19-2006, 07:20 PM
keep what you have and invest in some Elka's :macho

03-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
keep what you have and invest in some Elka's :macho id say get the 06 and mod it. elkas arent that great from what ive road and heard. your elkas arent even true elkas yurik :ermm:

03-19-2006, 07:40 PM
06 hrc +2arms lsr axel and gt thunder shock packege are all u will need. unless of corse u have too much $ then go long travel.

03-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
id say get the 06 and mod it. elkas arent that great from what ive road and heard. your elkas arent even true elkas yurik :ermm:

y in the world would u waste money on an 06 when you can mod out the 04, the 06 isnt even that much better, you can save money and get some major suspension mods or something that would make you go faster then the 06 could

and for 2, how would u know what elkas are like? i know you havent rode on any that were valved for you, and mine arent true elkas, but at one time they were, and i raced on the "true" elkas for 1 year and loved them, so what does that have to do with anything? :confused:

elka is working on making their shocks better right now, i am trying to help them with this process so that they can develop better suspension, with my opinions and suggestions on what they should do along with their own development team and the pros, when sponsors help me, i try to help them, and if i believe their product can be better then i will tell them how to do that, and i believe elka is on top of things and is for sure the best suspension company out there

fandl450r
03-19-2006, 08:07 PM
i believe elka is on top of things and is for sure the best suspension company out there

Here we go again. :rolleyes: Every single post dealing with suspention is elka this elka that. I can understand where you're coming from riding for Elka and all and them sponsoring you, but man give it a rest. Elka isn't going to suit everyones needs. Just remember what type of internals Gust and Jones were running in there "Elkas."

fandl450r
03-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by 450R-156
What do you all think should i put new suspension and several other mods into my 04 R for motocross racing and save some money or would it be worth it to spend the extra money on a 06 Rn and put new suspension and other mods into that.

But to answer your question, in all honesty it depends on rider preference. The 06 out of the box is an extremely fast machine, but with a little work your 04 can be just as fast. It all depends on how much you are looking to spend. If money isn't an option the 06 may be a better choice, less money you would have to spend in the motor dept. But an 04 with some suspension work and a little tlc is a definite motocross contender.

03-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Here we go again. :rolleyes: Every single post dealing with suspention is elka this elka that. I can understand where you're coming from riding for Elka and all and them sponsoring you, but man give it a rest. Elka isn't going to suit everyones needs. Just remember what type of internals Gust and Jones were running in there "Elkas."

Gust and Jones arent me, and what the pros run isnt always the best, i reccommend what i feel is the best product available, which happens to be Elka shocks when dealing with suspension

of course the pros are going to switch internals, y wouldnt they? direct riders for elka like that are going to be using something elka offers them to get a more exact setup, i kno some have heard of them running axis internals, but for 1, that is highly false, because the only internals of a shock are universal pieces you can basically get at most shock places

valving components arent special for Elka or Axis when reffering to how to valve a shock, thats y there are places like G T Thunder, to help you set your shocks up a little bit different, trying to utilize different shock angle ratios and try to give you a more precise setup, basically you have pieces that push oil through them at a certain rate to attain a certain resistance, you can also run different oils to get a different reaction

so even if it was mentioned that they supposidly ran axis internals, they arent running "axis" internals, they are running new internals from someone like G T Thunder, who is very experienced with setting up a shock for a pro level rider

fandl450r
03-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Gust and Jones arent me, and what the pros run isnt always the best, i reccommend what i feel is the best product available, which happens to be Elka shocks when dealing with suspension

of course the pros are going to switch internals, y wouldnt they? direct riders for elka like that are going to be using something elka offers them to get a more exact setup, i kno some have heard of them running axis internals, but for 1, that is highly false, because the only internals of a shock are universal pieces you can basically get at most shock places

valving components arent special for Elka or Axis when reffering to how to valve a shock, thats y there are places like G T Thunder, to help you set your shocks up a little bit different, trying to utilize different shock angle ratios and try to give you a more precise setup, basically you have pieces that push oil through them at a certain rate to attain a certain resistance, you can also run different oils to get a different reaction

so even if it was mentioned that they supposidly ran axis internals, they arent running "axis" internals, they are running new internals from someone from G T Thunder, who is very experienced with setting up a shock for a pro level rider

Actually they WERE Axis interals, I seem to remember Mike Hallock, yes the guy who started Axis, doing both of their shocks. GT Thunder at no time was doing there shocks, both were unhappy with Nolleen's services and found someone who KNEW what they were doing. Why should you have to send a brand new shock from the factory and spend extra money to attain a "more precise" set up when someone like PEP or Axis will have it done right the first time?

I know how a shock works, so you don't need to "teach" me, or try to use technical lingo to make yourself look intelligent. All I'm saying is that Elka isn't the best shock out there. They have great customer support, and we've established that, but a shock should be done right the first time, and not have to send it out to someone like GT thunder or DeRisi, or anyone for that matter, to have it be right for you.

03-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Actually they WERE Axis interals, I seem to remember Mike Hallock, yes the guy who started Axis, doing both of their shocks. GT Thunder at no time was doing there shocks, both were unhappy with Nolleen's services and found someone who KNEW what they were doing. Why should you have to send a brand new shock from the factory and spend extra money to attain a "more precise" set up when someone like PEP or Axis will have it done right the first time?

I know how a shock works, so you don't need to "teach" me, or try to use technical lingo to make yourself look intelligent. All I'm saying is that Elka isn't the best shock out there. They have great customer support, and we've established that, but a shock should be done right the first time, and not have to send it out to someone like GT thunder or DeRisi, or anyone for that matter, to have it be right for you.

im not trying to prove you wrong or make you seem stupid, much less myself inteligent, i was simply explaining it for others to view it, most people dont know how shocks work

most of the pros now adays are running elka internals, who use elka shocks, due to R&D to develop the correct valving setups, i never said G T Thunder was doing their shocks, only using it as an example, but some pros choose to get their shocks redone by a sponsor, such as Johnny G. with G T Thunder, he is running axis but is still getting his shocks done by G T Thunder

Elka has it done right the first time, i have had no problem with their setups compaired to others

All i am saying is that its not actually "axis" valving, its universal parts that are put together, you were making it sound like axis components were better then others, and as for what axis has done for doug gust or any of the other pros for that matter, all they do is try for the right combo until they hit it dead on for what that rider wants, they dont do that for everyone like elka does, if you dont like an elka setup you can send it back and have it fixed, end of story, and there is no wait

just my 2 cents

fandl450r
03-19-2006, 08:55 PM
im not trying to prove you wrong or make you seem stupid, much less myself inteligent, i was simply explaining it for others to view it, most people dont know how shocks work

most of the pros now adays are running elka internals, who use elka shocks, due to R&D to develop the correct valving setups, i never said G T Thunder was doing their shocks, only using it as an example, but some pros choose to get their shocks redone by a sponsor, such as Johnny G. with G T Thunder, he is running axis but is still getting his shocks done by G T Thunder

Elka has it done right the first time, i have had no problem with their setups compaired to others

All i am saying is that its not actually "axis" valving, its universal parts that are put together, you were making it sound like axis components were better then others, and as for what axis has done for doug gust or any of the other pros for that matter, all they do is try for the right combo until they hit it dead on for what that rider wants, they dont do that for everyone like elka does, if you dont like an elka setup you can send it back and have it fixed, end of story, and there is no wait

just my 2 cents

I understand that, and I apologize if I am coming across as a prick. All I'm trying to say is that Elka may be a good shock, but it isn't a great shock. I have heard/seen too many bad things about their shocks to ever do business with them. They may be getting better, but they have a long way to go, and are playing catch up with a lot of the top shock names in the industry. But I can assure you they weren't a generic body/internals in those Elkas and that they were directly manufactured by Penske/Axis.

03-19-2006, 09:05 PM
I understand that, and I apologize if I am coming across as a prick. All I'm trying to say is that Elka may be a good shock, but it isn't a great shock. I have heard/seen too many bad things about their shocks to ever do business with them. They may be getting better, but they have a long way to go, and are playing catch up with a lot of the top shock names in the industry. But I can assure you they weren't a generic body/internals in those Elkas and that they were directly manufactured by Penske/Axis.

i apologize if i am comming off that way also, just as you feel elka isnt great, i feel that they are, it is all based on opinion and that is fine, everyone has a right to believe and feel something is better then somethin else

450R-156
03-20-2006, 08:00 AM
What do you think of a JD Performance and Elka front end on a 06. The only problem of buying a new one is that the back shock might have to wait a while, would that be a problem

03-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 450R-156
What do you think of a JD Performance and Elka front end on a 06. The only problem of buying a new one is that the back shock might have to wait a while, would that be a problem

it works good together, the only thing you may want to check on is that the a-arm builder works with the shock builder to create the correct setup, atv4play/roll design/houser, are the main 3 that really try to work with elka to get the best setup, lsr and a few others also do but its not as extensive as others, JD im sure will be fine with elka shocks

woodsman250r
03-20-2006, 10:41 AM
keep what you have and invest in some Elka's :macho

Maybe it is just me but in almost every post you reply to you tell people to get ELKA. Sure maybe Elka has been great for you but in all honesty suspension is personal preference. I am not disrespecting you but you need to lay off the "Get Elka :macho " posts. Try to be a little more open to peoples suspension options than to make it seem that Elka is the only way to go. Just my two cents.

03-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
Maybe it is just me but in almost every post you reply to you tell people to get ELKA. Sure maybe Elka has been great for you but in all honesty suspension is personal preference. I am not disrespecting you but you need to lay off the "Get Elka :macho " posts. Try to be a little more open to peoples suspension options than to make it seem that Elka is the only way to go. Just my two cents.

i reccommend what is best for me, elka is the only way to go for me, and the only way i will be going, if you want to voice your opinion feel free to do that, but i am not doing anything wrong by reccommending what product i feel is best, not trying to be mean or anything, but a forum is a place to voice opinions on subjects, and i believe that is what i am doing