PDA

View Full Version : Sand tire question's

slief
03-19-2006, 07:48 AM
I just ordered 20x10x11 Sand Star paddles for my LTR. I also order front tires to match. They asked me if I wanted 21" or 22" tires up front and I was not sure. I had them order 21" for the front but I figured I should ask to see what peoples opinions were. I can still change my order. I don't plan on too much drag racing so I opted for Sand Stars instead of Haulers so that turning would be easier.

My question is, did I make the right choice for tire sizes? From what I have read the stock gearing will probably be OK. Is that the case?

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks!
Scott

400exrider0004
03-19-2006, 12:27 PM
you should be fine with your choice. I have 22's in the front. I know that the tire size for the rear is major because that changes your speed, acceleration and all that stuff, but the front i dont think is as important. You should be alright.

slief
03-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I also posted this on the other LTR forum and now I am rethinking everything.. At least the rear. From what I understand the SandStars are very heavy as are the ITP wheels that I was getting. Now I am thinking I need to rethink everything and look at lighter and maybe even an 8" rim with Skat Track Edge or Haulers 20" paddles. I hate not knowing about this stuff but I am greatful for places like this. Any suggestions on wheel/tire combo's would be great!
Thanks!
Scott

Speed_MDS2
03-19-2006, 04:14 PM
I picked up a set of 20"x10"x9" 8 paddle haulers of Douglas .160 rims for mine. A buddy on mine ran Sand Stars on his raptor and he recently switched to haulers and its night and day. People say sand stars turn so good but I didn't see it. About the only good thing I can say about the sand stars is that they are durable.

AceLtz
03-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Each sand star tire weighs 19lbs with a .125 rim. I have 20x10x8 haulers and i havent weighed them but they feel about half that. They dont turn nearly as good but they hook up a whole lot better.

Sandgod4
03-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Here's the scoop on paddles. Two words for most foward grunt. Skat Trak. Rolling mass is huge thing when it comes to sand. Pick up the tire wheel combo and lift it up and down before you buy it.. Does it feel heavy?? Your quad feels the same thing.. Forget Sand Stars, Dune Hopers, Sand Skates, all that junk that's out there. They are heavy and worthless. Sure a molded paddle will last longer, but that's all it will do. They will get you around in the dunes just fine if you don't want maximum performance.. A 20" rear is better for the LT right now, because the gearing is so tall. Even when we dropped one on the counter on Buddahs at Glamis it was still hurting for lower gearing even w/ 20" paddles.. With a 21" rear paddle you are going to need to add about 3-4 teeth on the rear on top of the -1 countershaft for the LT. If I owned the LT I'd run a 21x11x8 8 paddle Glider. I jump so I'd put it on a .160 wheel you may not jump so put it on a .125 wheel. Do not for any reason ever use a 10" wheel in the dunes!!!! Here's my Athena 434z w/ a 20" 8 Paddle glider and Buddahs Yoshi 450z w/ 10 paddle Glider run.. I'd say your hard pressed to get out of the hole quicker w/ these set ups.. The Yoshi is the white one..

http://media.putfile.com/Athena-434z-vs-Yoshi450z-Both-ported-by-DAB-racing-at-Oldsmobile-Hill-at-Glamis

slief
03-19-2006, 09:08 PM
That link did not work.. I am not a major jumper but I do like jumping in the dunes. I dont go really big though. I like jumping down into them and off the top as well but just dont go big. I wonder if the .125 will be too soft?

Many have suggested a 6 paddle over the 8 saying that the 6 will carry its speed better and the 8 would get off the line better. Is the 8 paddle going to work better all around on the LTR? I am running the full Yoshi with the Cherry bomb and the air box lid removed.
How is the Skat Track Edge?

At least I know I am going with douglas rims!

Sandgod4
03-19-2006, 09:16 PM
6 what??? Glider? Hauler?? Or ??? Do not use a 6 paddle Glider. It is not enough paddle for the power of the LT. Edge tires are good for turning.. They are pricey!! I had them at one time.. Stay w/ the Gliders in the two sizes I mentioned... Another good reason (not for you though) they leave virtually no roost. Your riding buddies will thank you for that!!

On a side note I'd pull that Yoshi exhaust off until you get a programmer to richen up the fuel. The CB only adds enough for the peashooter out and lid off.. Your EFI will not compensate for the added flow your Yoshi exhaust is now doing.. You are running lean.. Trust me I know I've had an EFI Cannondale for 4 years..

Look at the roost My Cannondale leave w/ a Hauler/Glider mix.. Nobody likes to ride behind me so I am always in the back.. The Yoshi runs Gliders.. Sand Skates and Sand Stsrs kick up some good roost also.. If your on a budget and want a good tire that lasts forever get a 20" Sand Devil. They are 125 bucks for 2 tires and .160 wheels from Rocky Mtn ATV.. The best bang for the buck!!!

http://media.putfile.com/Yoshi-450z-vs-478-Dale

VegasEx'r
03-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Sandgod-
Why should you never use a 10" wheel at the dunes?

slief
03-20-2006, 12:26 PM
After posting on another forum, I had been given some suggestions and a referral to fullerton sand tire and what was suggested as the best all around combo was the following:

STU Sand Skate I 6 paddle Comp Cut 21X12X10 on .125 rims
STU Razorbacks 22X8X10 on .125 rims

It was indicated that while the 8" rims were lighter and would be better for drag racing the 10" rim would be best for all around as they would turn better and provide a stiffer side wall.

What are your thoughts on the above combo? As it is, this rear set up makes for a very light combination with the comp cut.

As for the gearing, I am going to get a smaller front sprocket but I am hoping that the stock gears with the lighter wheel combination will make for plenty of power and hopelfully resulting in not needing to put on the smaller front.

What do you think?

Sandgod4
03-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by VegasEx'r
Sandgod-
Why should you never use a 10" wheel at the dunes?

10" wheels dig. You want to float on the sand not dig. They dig because there is less sidewall on the tire. They also bend alot easier due to less sidewall from jumping or pounding through sand whoop sections.. They also give a rougher ride beacuse of the decreased sidewall area.. They look great I will admit that, but that's all they do..

Slief you will need to regear.. At least buy the front sprocket and bring it w/ you. You will change it out after your first ride I guaruntee it.. Paddles take alot of power to turn. Now add the fact you just increased your tire size from an 18 to a 20 or 21 and you have a horrible gearing scenario.. I don't know if your quad has a master link, some quads don't. The tires you mentioned are an excellent choice.. Only one place cuts them for you so your at there mercy of price and time... Something to consider..

spudss
03-20-2006, 07:08 PM
so has anyone figured out what front sprocket fit the LTR.. Is it the RM or Z400 sprocket??I need to get one for mine before my trip to the dune next weekend.. Also need some front sand tires if anyone has an extra set they are wanting to part with..

quadfam4
03-20-2006, 08:39 PM
400 z front sprocket fits perfect. Drop 1 tooth to 13. Good info in previous posts about skat trak tires. A little more cost, alot less weight and much better performance. I prefer the 20-10-10 edge tires. Less weight and if you like to throw the bike around the tires will let you just by transfering weight on the pegs. Also good info about running a pipe without remapping. Very lean. Pull your plug and look at it. Yes, its a pain to take the plastic and tank off just to confirm but its better than burning up your top end.