PDA

View Full Version : Who Buys Quad Insurance?

Kev450R
03-18-2006, 11:03 PM
I did :cool: but am I the exception? I've never had it before (I'm not even sure you can get it for three-wheelers) but decided that since my '06 450R is the first brand-new quad I've ever bought, and because I plan on keeping my 450R a looooong time I thought it might be a good idea.

I bought the coverage from my insurance carrier (State Farm). They insure ATV's in much the same way they insure cars, you can get just basic liability insurance, bodily injury coverage, colision and comprehensive coverage which is all inclusive. I bought the comprehensive coverage and it cost $163 a year and also includes un-insured motorist coverage.

I hope I never need it but it does give me a little bit more piece of mind, I was just curious if I'm the exception or if other people do this as well.

--Kevin

03-18-2006, 11:32 PM
i didnt get none of that. ive heard you can have it covered by your home owners if it gets stolen from home as long as you have a picture of using it around the house for yard work or some sort so thats what I had banked on. Now its just in a storage facility

btlblwnracer
03-19-2006, 04:40 AM
I did not have insurence and got hit by a out of control jeep on a sharp corner (jeep was offroading) , the jeep owner wanted the wardens to come , so we made out a police report. even though the jeep was at fault ,his insurnce company gave me the finger and bascially said since I din'nt have insurence on my "motor vehicle" they could not help me and that each insurence company was to pay for the damages , since I did not have insurence on my qaud I was s.o.l .
so after a frame being straitned , buying a subframe , plastic ,exhuast (was a carbon pro that got crunched) and a bunch of odds and ends it was very expensive , and no your home owners does not cover it if your out in the trail.
now my quad is cover for $10,500 and my wifes balster is also insured , the 320 dollars I pay a year for that is worth it(for 2 quads with full insurence). It would take almost five years of insurence bills to equil what I paid for out of pocket.

the pic below is the carbon pro that was on my quad , the dent is where the bumper on the jeep was , if I would not of lifted my leg up I probally would not have it :eek2:

so I think it was wise of you to insure your quad , you never know what unplanned event is going to happen

400excracer
03-19-2006, 07:07 AM
I checked into it about 6 years ago and Progressive wanted $350 dollars a year. All I wanted was theft insurance, but they said that they didnt do just theft insurance. If it was under a $100 a year i would get it, but for $350 I am willing to take the risk. I should probably look into it again since I just bought an 06 450R.

Abrannan19
03-19-2006, 07:28 AM
don't bank on homeowners insurance to cover it at all ...believe me i know..especially if you have state farm..if your atv ggets stolen out of your garage or anywhere with or without pictures they will not cover it because it is a recreational vehicle and they have a separate policy to offer you..same thing goes with motorcycle.before you depend on homeowners insurance you better do so homework on it first.

roundsy
03-19-2006, 07:50 AM
i got insurance b/c quads are always going missing from this area and i dont have enough to buy a new one if it got punk'd

renee400
03-19-2006, 08:29 AM
i have full insurance on my quad too, it cost me about 163 dollars a year with state farm. i have it for piece of mind, you never know when something could happend.

MAD450r
03-19-2006, 09:04 AM
I have progressive and I have both upped in value with customized parts all covered as well. Cost me just about 300$ for a year with both atv's valued at 10,000$ +

03-19-2006, 09:07 AM
ive got insurance on mine :macho

chal23
03-19-2006, 09:18 AM
I bought insurance, I actually shopped for it before I bought my quad becasue if it was too much I would not have bought a new quad. I didn't want to pay for something that some A-Hole ripped off from me and is now trashing somewhere. I pay $300 for full coverage a year but had to call about 10 different companies to find that deal. Where I live nobody will insure it, I had to find a company out of Pittsburgh to insure me.

Toadz400
03-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
i didnt get none of that. ive heard you can have it covered by your home owners if it gets stolen from home as long as you have a picture of using it around the house for yard work or some sort so thats what I had banked on. Now its just in a storage facility

Yea that's what we thought too...did that and when both of mine were stolen our home owners insurance gave us the finger. Let's just say that's not who my quad insurance is through anymore...

copter
03-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Both of mine are covered too......

Toadz400
03-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Abrannan19
don't bank on homeowners insurance to cover it at all ...believe me i know..especially if you have state farm..if your atv ggets stolen out of your garage or anywhere with or without pictures they will not cover it because it is a recreational vehicle and they have a separate policy to offer you..same thing goes with motorcycle.before you depend on homeowners insurance you better do so homework on it first.

Yea, wish State Farm would've told us that before. They told us it would be covered because both our ATV's were in a garage about 15 feet from our house, but when they were stolen they gave us a different story. I hate insurance. I can't remember who I have my YFZ under but it's only $120 a year for full coverage.

Kansas T
03-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Kev450R
I bought the coverage from my insurance carrier (State Farm). They insure ATV's in much the same way they insure cars, you can get just basic liability insurance, bodily injury coverage, colision and comprehensive coverage which is all inclusive. I bought the comprehensive coverage and it cost $163 a year and also includes un-insured motorist coverage.

Wow, State Farm quoted me $220 a year when I checked last week. Maybe I need to talk with my agent again.

GIXXER1KR
03-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I bought the Powergaurd from the dealer thru Honda!!!!1 lump sum for the 5 years im paying for it just to ease my mind!Never know!!!!!

Kev450R
03-20-2006, 08:59 PM
It's nice to see I'm not the only one, though I do feel bad for those who thought that their homeowners policy covered ATV's.

It should have taken about 20 minutes to fill-out the forms I needed, but because of all the questions I kept asking it took almost an hour for my agent to get everything set-up for my auto, home and ATV policies!

Here's hoping none of us ever need it! :cool:

--Kevin

Dippy Dawg
03-20-2006, 09:29 PM
the thing with insurance is if you get in an accident and somebody gets hurt and they sue, you should be protected. otherwise they could sue and maybe garnish your wages or take whatever you have if you don't have any coverage.

at least that is how I understand it, I suppose the laws are different from state to state, should check on it though and see.

kbass24emtp
03-20-2006, 11:23 PM
I got it more for theft insurance. Also my agent said the even the aftermarket parts are covered if I have can provide the records.

MR.BIG
03-21-2006, 08:51 AM
I have it on mine too mostly for theft because when I first bought it you always hear about how peoples stuff gets stolen and then they have to pay for something they don't have.

QuadJunkies
03-23-2006, 12:27 AM
We got it on all our quads-WONT GO WITHOUT IT! ;)

03-23-2006, 06:31 AM
state farm covers both of mine...
279 a year for the '06 450r and 122 for the '00 400ex. $100 deductible on both and extra coverage for the hop up parts. locality decides rates, as well as driving record

2MuchChi450R
03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Does a 12 Gauge count? :D Everyone in my area knows my quad and what will happen if it's picked up, but I've got 'er anchored to the floor and the project car in the garage just in case :devil: