PDA

View Full Version : biodiesel

LTZ400rider
03-18-2006, 10:30 PM
any1 here make there own fuel?

what do u think about this?

stalefish_132
03-18-2006, 11:08 PM
my dad and brother in law have a biodieselcompany that they are starting up, we run it in my brother inlaw's '99 powerstroke with no problems along with our tractors. we also use it to heat our shop and it works good.it seems like a very good way to save $$ on fuel like it costs us 21cents a litre to make (canadian).its just starting to pickup here in canada but it seems promising.

LTZ400rider
03-18-2006, 11:19 PM
wats the process of making it

do u need to change anything on ur vehicle to run it

Rico400
03-19-2006, 12:19 AM
i seen it on trucks, and they said u dont need to if i remeber correct...

i know the 1st time i tryed it in my truck i would be scared though. lol what if u forgot a step or something and u blow up ur engine

LTZ400rider
03-19-2006, 12:24 AM
i seen it on trucks too, they said it actually ran better, it costs about 80 cents a gallon to make and smells like french fries. a kit cost about 3 grand but pays off. i just wanna see how easy it is to make

03-19-2006, 01:16 AM
yep i saw it on trucks too (i love that show)

im trying to talk my dad into buying the kit, so he doesnt buy a STUPID civic to get better gas milage! and civics are 20,000 new, the kit is 3,000 and 80c a gallon

Aceman
03-19-2006, 05:14 AM
My grandfather and father-in-law both run a fryer oil through their diesel vehicles. They get the fryer oil that's leftover from the restaurants and delis. They put a cheesecloth over the top of a 5 gallon bucket and pour the fryer oil on it until the cheesecloth is full. Wait a while (a few hrs??) for it to drain through the cheesecloth and pour some more in it. By the time the bucket is full of strained fryer oil you will have a big chunk of slimy grease sitting on top of the cheesecloth that didn't filter through. From what they've told me they've just been pouring 5 gal or so in a tank and filling the rest with diesel. They've ran this mixture in a Dodge diesel and a VW Jetta with zero problems. I don't think they've ran straight fryer oil though it, it would probably be too thick and clog everything up. They haven't bought any kits to run the fryer oil either, just dump it in and go. Hope this helps you.

LTZ400rider
03-19-2006, 10:29 AM
I think u need to add meth or ethanol and lye

Some guy said he ran out of gas and ran str8 motor oil.

If u ran kitchen oil it would lube good but I think it would dry up and gum up valves and injectors

Rico400
03-19-2006, 12:53 PM
ya im pretty sure ur supposed to mix a fee other things in it. but the main thing is the cooking oil stuff

TheFontMaster
03-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Here is the link to the company that some of you guys have been talking about.

http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/

TheX1992
03-19-2006, 03:45 PM
I see alot of the kits need 'Warmers' to heat up the oil. It must make it thinner so it doesn't clog. Sounds like you need to change some motor components too. But if I remember right, after that you have 2 fuel tanks and can run either whenever you want.

03-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Its costing me $110-120 to fill the tank on my turbo diesel Suburban, its got a 42 gallon tank. I have thought about doing the biodiesel thing, it just seems like alot of trouble but if fuel gets anymore expensive I might have no choice.

Rip_Tear
03-19-2006, 05:28 PM
There are kits out that you can just switch to a small diesel tank and pump to start the engine let it warm up then switch over to the oil. It seems really cool, I don't know what would happen if it went all commercial though, like buying it at the pumps...

nosliw
03-19-2006, 07:22 PM
start reading ladies

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/

LTZ400rider
03-19-2006, 10:40 PM
its already commercial, except they use soy bean oil and corn oil

stalefish_132
03-20-2006, 12:06 AM
LTZ400rider - yes you have to add a lye & methonal mixture to the raw veggie oil and then agitate it for about an hour or so. then let the glycerin and fatty waste settle to the bottom. the chemical reaction between the waste and the lye/methonal causes the wast to settle to the botto0m and the pure veggie oil sits on top. the waste can be used for fertilzer as far as i know. after that we filter the oil and thats pretty much all there is to it in a nut shell. we are building our own 400gallon setup so we can do batches of about 350 gallons at a time. a titration test is the key to maknig a good batch evey batch is differant and it realy takes the guessing out.
some of those biodiesel kits are over priced but for some people its a good set up.