PDA

View Full Version : need help with my KFX80

nosliw
03-18-2006, 08:13 PM
is there an easy way to remove and check the spark plug on a 2005 Kawasaki KFX80 quad?

it sat for a while, so recently i cleaned and reoiled the airfilter, drained and put new gas in it, and shot some cleaner in the carb. assembled, and now will drain the battery from trying to start before it will even pop. nothing. i can smell the fuel coming from the tailpipe, but no boom. i can put a charger on it and turn it over, but what's the point? something is wrong.

any input would be great. i really hate ripping this little thing apart.

thanks

edit- i also removed and cleaned the petcock, and blew air (breath) through the lines coming from the carb, so nothing is clogged.

maggiesboy
03-19-2006, 12:39 AM
I cut the rear fender piece that is in the way, plug swaps now take just seconds, I'll post a pic in the morning for you. :D

LT80
03-19-2006, 09:21 AM
I'd clean the carb. Allways a good place to start. :)

nosliw
03-19-2006, 10:53 AM
i guess i'll clean the carb even though i know it's getting gas. wouldn't it try to pop or stumble if the carb was clogged but the plug was good?

nosliw
03-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by maggiesboy
I cut the rear fender piece that is in the way, plug swaps now take just seconds, I'll post a pic in the morning for you. :D

?

nosliw
03-21-2006, 05:48 PM
nevermind. checked it out a couple minutes ago. sparks really good.

must be the carb.

any tips or advice as far as getting the carb off, cleaning it and things to look out for?

my big hands are going to have a helluva time getting that little thing out.

maggiesboy
03-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
?

Sorry bout that, I picked up my 250R and the world took a quick backseat. Here is the pic

maggiesboy
03-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
nevermind. checked it out a couple minutes ago. sparks really good.

must be the carb.

any tips or advice as far as getting the carb off, cleaning it and things to look out for?

my big hands are going to have a helluva time getting that little thing out.

I know how you feel. I wear a size 14 ring.

I stand the beast on its tail end and go that route. It makes life alot easier.

nosliw
03-22-2006, 04:40 PM
sweet! runs awesome now.

cleaned the float bowl, both jets, and the airhorn. slapped it back together, started it up, adjusted the throttle cable, and she purrs like a kitten now. especially with that 110 octane leaded race fuel i used in it :devil:

now concerning the longevity of this thing, should i somehow block off that oil injection and just start mixing the gas? i noticed when i took the oil injection thing off the case it was really nasty in there. hope nothing is clogged up.

thanks maggiesboy

maggiesboy
03-23-2006, 08:55 AM
:D

Livin4Real
03-23-2006, 09:53 AM
especially with that 110 octane leaded race fuel i used in it

Do you have major engine work done? If not your wasting your money and also remember your kid is breathing the leaded gas :(

nosliw
03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
no everything is stock except i took out all the restrictors and had it rejetted under warrenty.

i had some 110 laying around from my friends yfz and i didn't have any more 87 when i was done flushing the tank. sure does a good job of masking that 2stroke smell

my sisters quad, actually. my mom bought it for her, she rarely rides it, so i keep it alive.:cool:

Livin4Real
03-23-2006, 09:51 PM
running that high of octane on a stock engine can actually hurt performance.

nosliw
03-23-2006, 10:51 PM
feels the same to me

(yes i ride it sometimes) :D

but about the oil injection, how often do they go out? can i just block it off?

LT80
03-25-2006, 08:50 AM
No, you cannot just pull the lines and block it off. You need to remove the CVT cover and remove the lil plastic bow tie looking piece that drives the oil pump off of the crank shaft.
Maintence the clutchs while in there.;)