PDA

View Full Version : 300ex, Modify or Not?

Andy
07-24-2002, 09:07 PM
Recently bought a 300ex.(yellow) Should of bought a 400ex but wanted the reverse. (Also saved lots of $$$) I mainly trail ride. Pretty happy with the power but would like more without going into the motor. Would adding a pipe, headder, k&n, and rejetting really help the power for the money? I would hate to spend $400.00 or $500.00 for little power gain. What do you guys think?

Jay300ex
07-24-2002, 09:43 PM
Well, Adding a pipe like a WB slip on or yoshi slip on, would give you some better throttle response, and some HP gains. The K&N filter and new jetting would give even more HP. You could get a full pipe system header and all, but it might just save you money in the long run to just run the slip on or even just another jet and weld down the stock header and ceramic coat it or something. You can always gain speed or gain power by changing your gearing ( sprokets ). Hope this helps, the 300ex is a awesome toy =)

07-24-2002, 10:07 PM
Honestly your not gonna get hte power you want without getting into the motor or putting a for sale sign on it. ;)

2k2-300exnj
07-24-2002, 11:33 PM
thats not true because the 300ex exaust is very restrictive and gets a very high response to a new system compared to the 400ex although it still will not be a racer...
my 300ex runs side by side with a 400ex with a K*N and jet kit from mid 2nd- high 3rd sometimes low 4th
then it passes me and i keep up pretty decently for being so underpowered

2k2-300exnj
07-24-2002, 11:39 PM
sry i didnt get to the point i bought the exaust, jet kit, filter w/ outerwear, and new lid all at once and the gain was very good and helped most in the mid and top end power, but that varies in what exaust you buy some add low-mid some add mid-top end power
i would say if you want more power get a filter, jet kit, take off your airbox lid, and get a full pipe
if you are on a tight budget get a filter, jet kit, take off your airbox lid, and get rid of the welds inside your stock head pipe...

wht_blue_300ex
07-25-2002, 12:44 AM
before i rolled mine when i got it out of the shop i had it piped (full fmf system) a k&n filter and no air box lid i felt a strong power gain all through the rpm range and it pulled wheelies in like every gear. and dont let get you down about not having a 400 you can still work in the woods.:D

Jay300ex
07-25-2002, 11:46 AM
your getting a rhino lining on your quad frame? hehe. Me and my friend had that done to our bikes ( just free style dirt jumping bicycles ) and they look pretty good, people give us strange looks down at the bmx track heh.

Jay

Rastus
07-25-2002, 06:37 PM
Yes, adding a new filter, exhuast,jetting will do wonders.
The stock exhaust and filter are pretty restrictive. Thats what id look at first. And dont skimp on the jetting.

Andy
07-25-2002, 08:28 PM
Thank's for all the replys! I may or may not modify. Andy

quadfamily
07-25-2002, 10:05 PM
make user you get teh pipe to go with the silencer. The stock pipe is very restrictive and it has been said that on a 300EX the stock pipe is actually more restrictive then the stock silencer!

honda416exman
07-26-2002, 07:49 AM
yea i didn't go in the motor but i put an lrd full exhaust system, kn filter and jets, removed choke and ur on a totally differ machine!!!

"BLAHH"300!!
07-26-2002, 02:06 PM
all you have is a filter, outerwear, jett kitt and pipe, and your running along side piped and filtered 400ex's through 3rd?:huh

gimme, sumadat, good chit main.

honda250xrider
07-30-2002, 09:14 AM
im sure you can run along a 400 intil 3rd gear for just that amount of stuff i can run along with banshees intil top of 4th

2k2-300exnj
07-30-2002, 05:54 PM
I RACED A 400 WITH A DG PIPE AND A UNI FILTER I THINK AND I GEUSS A REJETTED CARB.. i got killed on the holeshot and got up to him around high 2nd gear when i grabbed third i passed him for a very short pperiod of time then he was hanging in front of me until i hit 4th then he was like one quad lenth in front of me and where we were racing it turned into whoops so he slowed down i just leaned back and plowed through thinking he was going to keep going... oh well

NJ300ex
07-30-2002, 06:07 PM
Def Jeffiently get a full pipe, filter, jets, a 350X airboot, and drill your airbox lid. These are the best mods for the money and they really wake up the 300ex. Don't just get a slip on. It is not worth it. Get a full system. A supertrapp is the best bang for the buck from FST.

The next stuff you want to do is 20 inch rear tires and a 14 tooth counter shaft sprocket. After that stuff it will be handling alot better and have alot more power.

As for the 300ex being crappy, it isn't . The 400ex is better in every way except for some of the trails around me are to small for the wider 400ex. That is were the 300ex excels. I can go much faster through tight woods on the narrower 300ex than the wider 400ex. Reverse isn't even a big factor. Usually I can pick it up and turn it faster than I can use reverse due to the crappy reverse procedure.

Yo BLAHHH, how was your journey aboard the ship? You are the last of the land pirates my friend.

"BLAHH"300!!
07-30-2002, 07:08 PM
....i came back with some loot, but i don't know if i'm ganna go back on that boat or not. i'm ganna try and get on with a company that runs just around this area. work 12 hours a shift. 3 day's, off a day, 3 nights, and off three day's...and i'm home when i'm not at work, instead of being there all the time. money will be better and all that...

eldoexrider01
07-30-2002, 09:52 PM
if u enjoy it. then keep it but dont let people tell u otherwise. if u dont enjoy it anymore thats what the used market is for!!!! other than that then go ahead and modd it to make u :D