PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Swith Assembly for starter

moto589
03-18-2006, 04:26 PM
I believe my starter is bad? I bought the quad used a few weeks ago. The starter worked fine, but I tore the bike down, put it back together and it wont fire now. It wants to crank over, but just wont. By the battery in the rear, is a cylinder type swith with positive and negative running to it. When I go to start the bike, it makes a pretty loud clicking noise and wont crank the bike over to start it. I think this is my problem? I power washed the quad, used degreasser / cleaner on the bike. Maybe I ruined it that way somehow? On the attached, it's #10 that is making the noise. Any ideas?

Anyone have one of these?

FoxMxRiders
03-18-2006, 04:39 PM
sound like your solenoid #10

SET THE STAGE
03-18-2006, 04:55 PM
same thing happened to my raptor a while back. 3 things you should try changing.

first off, get a new battery. don't get one from a dealer though they charge a **** load, you can get 12v ones from walmart that work nicely.

if that doesn't work then buy a solenoid. and if that doesn't work. then you'll have to go all out and just get a new starter. for us it ended up being the starter, but it could be one of the others for you.

hondamanex400
03-18-2006, 04:59 PM
yes this is your problem...mine did it while i was riding this past weekend. thank God everytime i turned my 400 off, i was at the top of a hill and was able to roll start it.

the cheapest i have found these, is at motosport.com im getting ready to order mine threw there

moto589
03-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Why or what could have caused the solenoid to go bad all of a sudden? Do they go often?

FoxMxRiders
03-18-2006, 05:28 PM
This is a problem on the 400's,the solenoid is not very protected from dust and water.

Check your batterie,check your fuse and if all that is ok,try to bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver (warning sparks) and if the motor turn (key on),this is your solenoid.

moto589
03-18-2006, 05:50 PM
OK, jumped the solenoid, bike won't start. Buy a battery?