PDA

View Full Version : engine compression fine but oil leak?

jeremy_283
03-18-2006, 03:41 PM
my exhaust is smoking a light blue and i know its burning oil cuz i gotta put more in a lot.... i just recently started smoking all of a sudden.... so i went a bought a compression tester and that showed that everything was ok... so what else could be causing an oil leak and not affect the compression?

GPracer2500
03-18-2006, 03:54 PM
valve seals can leak oil

that won't affect compression

usually only smokes at startup though

jeremy_283
03-18-2006, 04:17 PM
my atv smokes no matter what temp. the engine is at... kk

GPracer2500
03-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Must be your rings, I would think.

Smoking cause of valve seals isn't really tempurature sensitive. It's sensitive to how long the quad has been sitting without running. The seals leak while the quad sits and the oil accumulates on the valves or leaks past the valves and sits on the piston. After it runs for a few moments that oil gets burned-up/blown-out and it won't smoke until the quad sits again for long enough for more oil to accumulate. That doesn't sound like you problem because leaking valve seals don't consume much oil.

jeremy_283
03-18-2006, 05:04 PM
its not my rings i did a compression test and it is not low at all

GPracer2500
03-19-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm not convinced that good compression NECESSARILY precludes rings that are burning up oil. I just don't know for sure...

However, maybe check your crankcase breather. Does it vent into your airbox (stock breather settup does)? If your pushing oil out of the breather and into the airbox, there's potential for sucking it through the cylinder that way.

Just a thought...