View Full Version : Need info on Cross Country racing in Indiana

PastDue
03-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Hello,
Im probably too old to worry about trying this out now, but Id like to try some cross country racing. The problem is I know nothing about what it takes to get started or whether there are even events in my area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
PastDue

roostcatcher
03-18-2006, 05:29 PM
No way are you ever too old to have fun! I assume you have the quad, helmet, boots, etc. Now you'll need an AMA or ATVA card and a district card. (both can be purchased at a race) Most places also require a working kill switch.

I have no clue where you are in IN, but you can also race in the surrounding states if they might be closer for you. There are races tomorrow (3/19) in Culver and Haspin Acres (Laurel,, IN)

Good luck and hope to see you on the trail soon!

www.amadistrict15.org
www.atvaonline.com

edit: corrected link

PastDue
03-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Hello,
Thank you for the links. The District 15 one doesnt work for me. It takes me to a search engine type thing. Is the address correct? Perhaps its just my computer screwing it up. :p

Thanks again,
PastDue

roostcatcher
03-21-2006, 05:49 AM
My bad. www.amadistrict15.org

bradley300
03-21-2006, 07:21 AM
i would try thre haspin races in laurel first. they are not AMA sanctioned so you ont need an ama or district card to race. no need racing a ama race first and spending all that money to try it out.

PastDue
03-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Thank you roostcatcher for the updated web address.

Thanks bradley, that would probably be a good idea before I go buying the memberships.

Ive been trying to make sense of the class designations in the rulebooks on both those sites. My 400 is basically stock and obviously havent tried the whole race scene. So I would still be running with modded 400s, 450s, 660s etc?

Sorry if thats a stupid question. lol

Thanks,
PastDue

bradley300
03-23-2006, 05:26 AM
at haspin the have pro, a, vet, b, c and sport/ utility. you will be running against 450's, but in the woods, the quad dosent mean as much as the rider, so in the lower classes especially, you still have a good shot. i think haspin even has a first year racer class you can get it. usually there arent many, so they race with the sport class (warriors and smaller) and the utility class

PastDue
03-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
i think haspin even has a first year racer class you can get it. usually there arent many, so they race with the sport class (warriors and smaller) and the utility class

Ahh... well I wouldnt want to go in there. Want to at least be able to hold my head up high regardless of racing outcome. lol

So bring on the 450's I guess. ;)

Thanks again for the information.

Sincerely,
PastDue