PDA

View Full Version : Nos

Predatorman500
03-17-2006, 09:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone runs nitrous on there 450r b/c i just bought a new 450r all set up for drag racing it has everything but nitrous just wondering what you guys thought of it!!!

450rJam
03-18-2006, 04:14 AM
what motor mods does it have ? other that the exhaust in you sig?

OutCast
03-18-2006, 04:28 AM
I'd say, go for it! You just have to babysit how many runs you make and how often. The hardest part of running nos is sitting and waiting for your motor to cool down so you can take another run. :)

kawasaki_ridah
03-18-2006, 03:34 PM
i think it's boondockers that makes nitrous kits for atvs. haha I wonder what that would be like in mx.

lafinrat
03-18-2006, 04:13 PM
There are countless ATV kits available. Boondocker's would be my last choice--it's a dry kit that pressurizes the fuel bowl. Simple to install but primative and inaccurate. I'd look at a wet nozzle kit from NOS or NX. The 450R stator will easily run a small electric fuel pump. I can even tell you which wire to hook it to.

Also, make sure the motor has a forged piston and the rings are .005" per in of bore on the top ring and .006"/in bore on the second ring.

A programmable ignition (like a Dyna) would be smart so you can pull timing and activate the nitrous through an RPM switch (still need a WOT switch also, though).

An EGT monitor or stand-alone wideband would be a wise investment also.

If your gonna spray very much, I would consider a Carrillo or Falicon rod, and have the crank welded. Or you can do it later along with new cases, cylinder, head, mainshaft 5th gear, etc, etc. Thats what the rod will take out when it breaks.

JW450R1
03-18-2006, 05:14 PM
can u say triples

compedge
03-18-2006, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lafinrat
There are countless ATV kits available. Boondocker's would be my last choice--it's a dry kit that pressurizes the fuel bowl. Simple to install but primative and inaccurate. I'd look at a wet nozzle kit from NOS or NX. The 450R stator will easily run a small electric fuel pump. I can even tell you which wire to hook it to.

Also, make sure the motor has a forged piston and the rings are .005" per in of bore on the top ring and .006"/in bore on the second ring.

A programmable ignition (like a Dyna) would be smart so you can pull timing and activate the nitrous through an RPM switch (still need a WOT switch also, though).

An EGT monitor or stand-alone wideband would be a wise investment also.

If your gonna spray very much, I would consider a Carrillo or Falicon rod, and have the crank welded. Or you can do it later along with new cases, cylinder, head, mainshaft 5th gear, etc, etc. Thats what the rod will take out when it breaks. [/QUOTE

You put that perfect. If its a carb you must run a wet kit. EFI you can run a dry kit with computer upgrades.

btlblwnracer
03-19-2006, 04:46 AM
ran a boondockers on my pred with no problems , greed (ie need more power) or improper setup is what kills most nitrous setups.

btlblwnracer
03-19-2006, 04:50 AM
my predator made 45.2 rear wheel horse power on the motor , and made 64.4 on a 20hp shot of the juice...... but the funny thing is I like my honda better all the way around :eek2: , but the button on the predator did make it fun :devil:

Predatorman500
03-20-2006, 10:40 AM
the only other motor mods that i have are a hot cam

Predatorman500
03-20-2006, 10:41 AM
i want the nitrous for the dunes but also just to screw around on!!

CHEVYZ
03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
With those mods it would really be a waste. Mod your engine first.....

lafinrat
03-20-2006, 04:45 PM
ya. the stock piston is cast and won't take very much nitrous for very long. and, if it detonates............forget about it.

btlblwnracer
03-21-2006, 02:48 PM
my predator just had a pipe/ k&n and a vortech ignition , don't let some of these nitrous sceptics scare you . I put 1 to 2 .. 2 1/2lbs bottles through my pred in a weekend for 8 or 9 months , sold it to a friend that took the nitrous off but still has never done anything to the motor and it still runs great.
If you having second thoughts or need more info , go to barnes and noble they have books on how to install and tune nitrous. just like buying a car , do some research and decide if this is want , and don't listen to the people that want you to buy what they want.