PDA

View Full Version : Oversize oil cooler for 400ex

yfzfelix
03-17-2006, 09:03 PM
any one know where I can buy one? please don't tell me four stroke tech because they haven't answered the phone for over a week and I can't wait any longer, so any help would be great!!

prepracing
03-17-2006, 10:16 PM
thats the only one I know of thats actually for a 400ex, but there are others out there that poeple have modified to work. Just keep calling or get on their website and order one. www.fourstroketech.net

yfzfelix
03-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
thats the only one I know of thats actually for a 400ex, but there are others out there that poeple have modified to work. Just keep calling or get on their website and order one. www.fourstroketech.net I went to the website and did not find any way to order anything, did I miss something?

F-16Guy
03-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Go to Perma-Cool.com and look for the universal ATV cooler kit, P/N 1008. It's the same thing as what FST sells. You may have to call them and find a local dealer; I'm not sure if you can order from them directly (I didn't). In addition to that, I bought some expanded steel from Home Depot for a grill for $8 (you can use just about anything, but that worked great), and a universal transmission cooler mount kit from Checker Auto Parts for $5 to mount the cooler to the grill. Here's a picture:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid196/p932ccba130f7d45d5f8bdf4d88ead03c/f11a0620.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid196/p2931137c0a8e27111cf9c1604cae15bd/f11a05e6.jpg

F-16Guy
03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
thats the only one I know of thats actually for a 400ex, but there are others out there that poeple have modified to work. Just keep calling or get on their website and order one. www.fourstroketech.net
It's not "for" a 400ex, all they did was include the grill and mounting hardware. It comes with the same fitting as the universal kit from Perma-Cool.

GPracer2500
03-18-2006, 04:11 PM
That's nice F-16. How does that kit tap into the oil system?

F-16Guy
03-18-2006, 06:37 PM
There's kind of a raised "web" that runs on top of the filter housing toward the cylinder; that is the oil passage. If you remove the clutch cover, you can see where the passage goes to the center case and then to the cylinder. You block that passage with the supplied check ball or a set screw, whatever you prefer, and then drill and tap a hole into the passage for the fitting about an inch outboard of where the cover and case meet. That re-routes the oil to the cooler instead of sending it up the side of the cylinder. You then drill and tap another hole on the right side of the rocker cover where the little bulge is just above where it meets the head. That routes the oil directly from the cooler to the cam. It's a really good setup for keeping the valvetrain cool.

nakomis0
03-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Heres a link to the instructions. I built mine from Ramchargers and the cooler I use is a transmission cooler... I think I got it off an old bronco 2 in a junkyard.... :)

oil mod instructions (http://webpages.charter.net/tandrus4700/400exCoolerMod.pdf)

And heres my pic that I have posted a dozen times before .. but I think its a great pic...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/343000-343999/343319_42_full.jpg

tar
03-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Looks like you did a good job. I would give you an A+ on that

phildogg
03-20-2006, 05:02 PM
I have a question as to why you don't use the existing lines coming off the engine already? I have seen a few people doing this already just curious why.. lmk
phil

F-16Guy
03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by phildogg
I have a question as to why you don't use the existing lines coming off the engine already? I have seen a few people doing this already just curious why.. lmk
phil
Because the existing lines that go to the stock cooler route the oil back into the case (hot), through the filter housing (also hot), and then up the side of the cylinder (extremely hot) before it gets to the cam. This mod re-cools the oil after it goes through the filter and then delivers the cooled oil directly to the cam.