PDA

View Full Version : which quad ....new to racing

wyldelee
03-17-2006, 04:00 PM
I am writing to ask for some advice on which quad to get for my son. We live in Florida and he would like to start doing some racing (MX and XC).

He has been riding since he was 6 (Suzuki LT-80), but never raced. He is 9 years old now and about 5'1". Unfortunately, I did not read the racing rules before I sold his LT-80 and bought him a Honda TRX250EX for Xmas.
Now that I have read them, I see he cannot race the TRX250EX in XC or MX. He was way big (tall and skinny) on the LT-80, so the Honda seemed perfect. He rides it really well out on the trails.

So this time I would like to ask for some advice before I make another dumb mom mistake.

Thanks in advance,
Lee

AtvMxRider
03-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Trx 90's are bulletproof. They also fit a bigger rider much better then the Tiawanese minis

3-D Racing Dad
03-17-2006, 05:07 PM
My son is close to the same size and build you describe you son as and he rides the TRX 90

AtvMxRider
03-17-2006, 05:08 PM
My son is 12 and over 5 ft tall he is too big for his Kasea

Livin4Real
03-17-2006, 06:27 PM
look into the aasco pro mx or the new xtreme typhoon, they're bigger than the other mini's.

wyldelee
03-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Yup he is 9 years old now and growing like a weed. His sister who is 13 years old is 5'7".
Is the TRX90 a lot smaller than the TRX250EX or are they about the same size? It seems like a lot of the Hondas are about he same size for example the 300EX is about the same size as his 250EX. Also are there any years for the TRX90 that are better than others, or any to stay away from?

LT80
03-18-2006, 09:03 AM
It's a matter of opinion I guess. My 15 yr old boy is well over 5' and about 140 pounds. He is going to TT race a LT80 for me this year. He raced for me in 2004 and wasn't much smaller. He kicked butt!
My daughter raced a LT80 at 15 and about the same height and weight. She kicked butt.
The kids can really throw the machines around at this stage of life.
My opinions on a machine=
The LT80 is the cheapest to get to race form but the motor/swingarm design leaves a lil to be desired for MX/XC.
The Kasea/eton/dinli/etc are 2nd in price to get race ready. The frames are the weak point but can be re-enforced.
The motors on the LT and other imports are still dependable after modding.
The Honda takes the most $$ to build. The machine is the most rock solid of the choices. Motor reliability will suffer once taken to 125cc's tho.
I agree with Livin4real that the Assco or Extreme should be considered. The Assco is 3k and is one of the closest to "race ready" machines out there.
My 2 cents.:)

wyldelee
03-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Thank you. Believe me I am kicking myself for selling his LT80 but he just seemed so big on it, I thought he was gonna whack himself in the head with his knees.
Any idea how much it costs to build a trx90 that is reasonably competitive, but still solid ? Are the Assco and Xtreme machines available now? If so do you know who sells them?
We saw a Cobra at the Orange Crush, but I almost had a heart attack when I heard the price----that mini costs more than my new Suzuki LTR.
Thanks,
Lee

Originally posted by LT80
The Honda takes the most $$ to build. The machine is the most rock solid of the choices. Motor reliability will suffer once taken to 125cc's tho.
I agree with Livin4real that the Assco or Extreme should be considered. The Assco is 3k and is one of the closest to "race ready" machines out there.
My 2 cents.:) [/B]

LT80
03-19-2006, 09:19 AM
The place for the Aasco is in Mesa AZ. For the life of me I cannot remember the name right now. When i do, I'll post.

newnick
03-19-2006, 06:11 PM
That name would be Eastside Motorsports I believe. I would suggest calling WRH racing, and asking Billy what would be a good choice. He keeps up with things and can give you an idea when the Extreme's will be available. It is hard to choose what is best right now because there are alot of new quads coming out, some are good some are not, some cost to much. The Honda's are a rock solid investment but I think it costs alot to get one race ready.
Good luck.

Livin4Real
03-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Your looking at 3k for an aasco or close to double that for a honda.

d kelley
03-21-2006, 03:21 PM
I hear this question all the time from parents who want to get their kids racing and it is a shame that there is no perfect quad available right now. So many of the kids now days are 12-13 years old and pushing 5'to5'0 plus tall. the 90 quads are small for alot of them or will be within 1-2 years. the 250 quads seem to be fit alot of these riders but there are unable to race them in many areas. Yamaha may be coming out with a YFZ 250 next year and I bet they will sell a million of them if they do. Hopefully the racing assoc. will begin devolping this class of riders so they will have place to race.