PDA

View Full Version : Big Fugggggin Elka shock PROABLEM!!!!

mrusk
07-24-2002, 06:06 PM
I finally got my R off the stand where it sat for several months while it was gettin rebuilt. I got a proablem with my elkas. WHen you push down on the bumper or the grab bar the shocks dont rebound (come back up). You gotta pull up on the grab bar and bumper. The rear shock makes a horrible noise when it compresses. I recived these shocks in april from elka. There brand new and never been of the stand still now. Its too late to call anyone so does anyone have any clue. Also these shocks push down really easy.

Please help

matt

BadA$$440
07-24-2002, 06:18 PM
Yo dude, its totally normal. You got everything set to soft. Trn ur pre-load nut down ( red nut on the top spring with two allen screws in it. ) I turned mine down about 1". And have my comp on like te 2nd or 3rd click. It took me days to adjust it correctly. Hope that helps.

P.S. put up a pic of one of your shocks.

mrusk
07-24-2002, 06:22 PM
Ok i'll try that. i hope thats all it is. The quad looks reallly sweet with these shocks. It sits soooo low. You think it will still sit as low when its adjusted right?

matt

BadA$$440
07-24-2002, 06:42 PM
Mine was exactly like how you described them when i first bolted them on. Then i turned my nut down ( made it sit a lil higher) and it rebounded back up but there wasnt much sag but i didnt mind. It made the springs a lil bit more stiff but i just softened up there comp and wa la.

Nausty
07-24-2002, 09:24 PM
yah adjust your preload. Its the 2 nuts on top of the springs anyways just have somone pick up the rear end and adjust it down.

Dave400ex
07-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Yeah it should go down a lot and not come back up. I push on mine and it stays down. That is from the SSD Spring. If you look at the Spring on top when you push it down, it is the only one that really moves, the first and second spring don`t move much at all, only the third the SSD Spring. That`s how mine are. When you ride they are normal.

Bad*****440, Nausty, Your shocks are the same way on your 400 right?

Tommy 17
07-24-2002, 09:52 PM
mine does it also...

Jessy
07-24-2002, 09:54 PM
If you bought the triple rates with the self sagging device that is what they are supposed to do. The SSD allows the shocks to sag for better stability and added plushness. Mine sag about 2 to 3 inches. The preload should be set to your weight and riding style from factory. I would just ride it as is and adjust the compression as needed to avoid bottoming out. Hope this helped.

harebounder
07-24-2002, 10:27 PM
My advice is if you haven't rode the machine with the shocks yet don't adjust anything. Ride it then adjust. They are suppose to be close to what your riding style is.

mrusk
07-25-2002, 05:24 AM
Wow i hope these shocks really are the way they are suppose to be bacause the quad looks soooo awesome sitting low! These things sit really low. As low as pep zps!

matt

PsychoDave
07-25-2002, 08:26 AM
so it looks like you DONT HAVE a : Big Fugggggin Elka shock PROABLEM!!!!

Tommy 17
07-25-2002, 08:32 AM
mine sag so much that yesterday we put a stock 400ex side by side with mine and the top of my renthals were at the bottom of his renthals if that gives u a ruff idea of how much mine sag...

he has same tires on as me also

07-25-2002, 09:15 AM
Damn, and I thought you like busted one in half or something.:blah

Dave400ex
07-25-2002, 09:33 AM
Yeah you need to get a few Rides on the Shocks before you Adjust them. I haven`t touched mine yet and they seem awesome. I think they are a little Stiff. These Shocks sag a LOT. Right now with the stock rear on mine you can tell the front end is a lot lower. Ride the Shocks and then see how they are.

BadA$$440
07-25-2002, 02:01 PM
Quick question, everybody who has elkas.... when you ride through fields and things with small bumps, do you feel them or does it feel like you are just floating over them cuz mine feels a lil rough in the fields but yet i think it is cuz i still dont have it adjusted right.

Dave400ex
07-25-2002, 03:29 PM
Mine seem to soak up the little bumps real well. If I am in 5th gear you notice them more, but not very much. Mine seem to be setup just right. You will just have to adjust them to how you like them.

mrusk
07-25-2002, 04:04 PM
My front shocks do rebound some, so i guess they are correct.
But there is defintly something wrong with the rear. When i press down on the grab bar the shock , when the top spring (ssd spring) compresses it makes a horrible noise. Something is rubbing on something that shouldnt. I can tell what it is. I am going to call CD in 2 minutes. If i push down a inch on the grab bar the shock goes down an inch and stays in that exact position. If i push it down 2 inches it stay 2in down and so forth.

what gives?

matt

Dave400ex
07-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Well mine will do the 1 inch thing, but 2 inches they should start to come back up. Mine don`t make a noise. I heard some Guys complained about the metal crossovers because of the noise. Are your metal or plastic? I really have no idea what to tell you. It sounds like it would be a crossover or spring hitting something. My Shocks are great so far. You got any Pictures?

Tommy 17
07-25-2002, 04:56 PM
mine does both of those and they soak up every bump i throw at them...

mrusk
07-25-2002, 05:04 PM
I only have the noise proablem with the rear shock. It seems that the spacer is metal. But my fronts are plastic. I tried calling Cd but got there machine. THey are away till monday. So i hope Quad SHop Jeff comes on. It just doesnt seem right.

matt

Tommy 17
07-25-2002, 05:13 PM
mine are metal up front i think... it makes a rubbin noise bc of the treads on the shock body... and they sag and don't come back up bc of the ssd

mrusk
07-25-2002, 08:33 PM
I just dont understand how this could be right tho. This rear shock makes a horrible noise. When i push down on it the ssd spring fully compresses. But when i push down on the front the ssd spring doesnt fully compress like the rear. Hopefully jeff comes on and sets me stright or i'll have to make the toll call to Elka tommoro.

matt

Dave400ex
07-25-2002, 09:19 PM
That`s odd 400ex21 you should have Plastic Crossovers if you just got yours. I just got mine and Elka set them up and I have Plastic. How does the Rear feel when you Ride it? Jeff could help where is he?

Mxbubs
07-28-2002, 10:42 AM
The noises are normal. Everyone's shocks are fine. Just adjust your ride height, and your compression and rebound. Sag, zero preload=same thing. Just different marketing pitches.

Tommy 17
07-28-2002, 10:55 AM
mayb mine are plastic... the felt like metal... who knows... all i all know is they are awesome!

cdalejef
07-28-2002, 01:53 PM
The noise is normal, its just the spacers rubbing the threads. It will not harm a thing. This will go away with age!

Dave400ex
07-28-2002, 02:42 PM
400ex21, Are they a gray color? I bet they are Plastic they are very hard Plastic and do look like Metal.

Tommy 17
07-28-2002, 02:46 PM
yeah they are grey

Dave400ex
07-28-2002, 02:52 PM
Yep I bet they are Plastic.