PDA

View Full Version : Should kids be allowed to race ATV's?

kd5sfq
03-17-2006, 09:02 AM
My 14 year old stepson Josh is going on his 3rd year of racing now. He races a 300ex in blaster classes and in the GNC Youth Production on occasion. He has had his share of wrecks and even a mild concussion. Racing is his passion. It is his dream. His grades are good because we have a no pass no ride policy. He is helpful around the house. His teachers and other parents speak highly of him. He is a good kid.

Josh was greatly saddened by the news of #23 Zachary Griffin as we all were. But he is still animate about racing and we plan to allow him to continue.

Before allowing our son to race, we labored over the media’s insouciant barrage about the inherent dangers of kids riding ATV’s. Some basic research revealed some things that are disturbing. Although ATV’s statistically look bad by some reports, there are far greater dangers lurking about that don’t receive the same media hype for whatever reason. What I found seems to show that a child is less likely to be harmed racing an ATV than a multitude of other things.

I ask you to look at these facts and see if you draw the same conclusion.

Here are some facts that I uncovered.

Deaths:

In 2003, 1,591 child occupants ages 14 and under died in motor vehicle crashes.
In 2002, 130 children ages 14 and under died in bicycle-related crashes.
In 2003, approximately 1,900 children ages 14 and under died in the home from
accidental injuries.
In 2002, 95 children ages 14 and under died from accidental falls.
In 2003, at least 111 children under the age of 16 died as a result of ATV-related injuries.
In 2002, 599 children ages 14 and under died from pedestrian injuries.
In 2002, 520 children ages 14 and under died due to accidental fire- and burn-related
injury.

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people ages 15 to 24. In 2001, 3,971 suicides were reported in this group (Anderson and Smith 2003). In addition, there are an estimated 8-25 attempted suicides to one completion

In a single year, 3,012 children and teens were killed by gunfire in the United States, according to the national data released in 2002.

Injuries:

In 2003, an estimated 220,000 children ages 14 and under were injured as occupants in motor vehicle-related crashes.
In 2003, nearly 285,600 children ages 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency rooms for bicycle-related injuries.
Each year, there are an estimated 3.4 million visits to hospital emergency departments by children ages 14 and under for injuries that occurred in the home.
More than 3.5 million children ages 14 and under receive medical treatment for sports injuries each year. (Soccer being the leading cause followed by basketball, football and baseball.)
In 2003, more than 2.3 million children ages 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency
rooms for fall-related injuries.
In 2003, an estimated 38,600 children under the age of 16 were injured in all-terrain
vehicle-related incidents.
In 2002, an estimated 165,200 children ages 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency rooms for toy-related injuries.
In 2003, nearly 38,400 children ages 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency
rooms for pedestrian-related injuries.
An estimated 2.2 million children ages 14 and under sustain school-related injuries
each year. Annually, one in 14 students suffers a medically attended or temporarily
disabling injury at school.
In 2003, an estimated 83,300 children ages 14 and under were treated in hospital
emergency rooms for burn-related injuries.

The facts about school violence, drugs and alcohol are convoluted by percentages as well as laws protecting information about kids but the rates of death and injury related to them are staggering.

Note: The ATV statistics don’t show if the child was supervised, wearing the proper safety equipment or adhering to the other ATV Safety institutes guidelines.

Sources: http://www.safekids.org/ and http://www.cdc.gov/

Pappy
03-17-2006, 09:10 AM
IMO kids and thier parents should be the ones deciding if thier child has the skills and common sense to race anything including atv's. Far too many parents push thier kids to excell beyond thier limitations in many sports and this usually spells disaster in many ways, including death.

The racing sanctions need to be more involved, as they are in NHRA drag racing when youth are concerned. You can not just take a 10 year old and allow them to run a Junior Dragster that will see speeds approaching 100 mph in teh 1/8th mile, but yet we can take an inexpierenced rider and allow them to run a class on a machine that has the ability to hit 75mph and jump 20 feet in the air. IMO I think riders should be fully qualified before they are allowed to progress, learning things the hard way can be tragic.

400exrules
03-17-2006, 09:10 AM
just as the facts state, their are bigger problems that need to be focused on, instead of ATV's. thats why it pisses me off when people like the sierra club and others directly attack the atv society

Johnny & Monica
03-17-2006, 09:39 AM
I would rather have my kids on ATVS than crack , We ride an race as a family . I think kids need adult supervision an proper gear . Some kids shouldnt be allowed to ride bigger quads where other do fine . A big kid on a small quad can get hurt as easy as a small kid on a big quad . But a good parent should be able to make the call .

kd5sfq
03-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
IMO kids and thier parents should be the ones deciding if thier child has the skills and common sense to race anything including atv's. Far too many parents push thier kids to excell beyond thier limitations in many sports and this usually spells disaster in many ways, including death.

The racing sanctions need to be more involved, as they are in NHRA drag racing when youth are concerned. You can not just take a 10 year old and allow them to run a Junior Dragster that will see speeds approaching 100 mph in teh 1/8th mile, but yet we can take an inexpierenced rider and allow them to run a class on a machine that has the ability to hit 75mph and jump 20 feet in the air. IMO I think riders should be fully qualified before they are allowed to progress, learning things the hard way can be tragic.

True words.

I've seen parents pushing their kids and resulting in disaster more than once.

I agree that riders should be qualified and or trained before racing. I'm just not sure how to make that happen or how many organizations would enforce it.

kd5sfq
03-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica
I would rather have my kids on ATVS than crack , We ride an race as a family . I think kids need adult supervision an proper gear . Some kids shouldnt be allowed to ride bigger quads where other do fine . A big kid on a small quad can get hurt as easy as a small kid on a big quad . But a good parent should be able to make the call .

Amen to all you said!

kd5sfq
03-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
just as the facts state, their are bigger problems that need to be focused on, instead of ATV's. thats why it pisses me off when people like the sierra club and others directly attack the atv society

I hear you… When I tell people that my kid races an ATV, most tend to picture him racing on a huge 4X4 running through a mud bogs and rivers. Plus they envision racers named “Billy Bubba” who slam down a 6 pack and belch as they race along a course.

PrairieFrisbee
03-17-2006, 10:11 AM
What better way to spend time with your child than at a track..on a trail..supporting them in a sport that brings you together..keeps your kids out of trouble and quenching that competetive desire that any racer or athelte has. My answer to your question is yes..they should be allowed to race. there are risk..but as the facts state..far more kids die in other types of accidents. In Zak's case..he has grown up riding. RIding with Mike Penland...me..my friends....his friends....it build characture...sportsmanship and also strong family ties...not just blood relatives...ATV Family. The time we spent together are priceless..a speaker at my sons funeral had these words to say...which I think any parent can take to heart...

3-16-06

Remembering my buddy Zak “Hollywood” Griffin –
From one of his “old” friends, Tim Luther

I first met Scott and Zak online through the ATV community. Back then Zak was a really little guy with a really big grin. He was soooo pumped to be hanging out with his dad and his dad’s friends. We thought it was pretty cool too. We would often slow down so Zak could catch up without him knowing that was what we were doing.
Before long it was “I am keeping up better and you guys do not have to wait for me so much!” So much for being smarter than the kid!
Then it was Zak glued to the back of our quads on fast trail rides and soon it became “Yo, Hollywood, wait up for us old guys at the next fork!”

Over the last few days I have found myself trying to describe my buddy Zak to folks who did not know him, that could take days, but here is some of what I came up with……

To be 16…

To be 16 & Out ride your dad…
To be 16 & Still think your mom is awesome!
To be 16 & Brag about all your cousins…
To be 16 & Trust your best friends – All 500 of them…
To be 16 & Really look forward to spending time with your grandparents!
To be 16 & Like school…
To be 16 & Be in love- for real…
To be 16 & Eat macaroni & cheese with tuna and peas in it rather than a steak….
To be 16 & Have some friends older than your parents….
To be 16 & Have dinner after a race with your heroes…
To be 16 & Actually like having your shins kicked while stealing the ball from a friend…
To be 16 & Swim like a trout with a mission...
To be 16 & Be embarrassed to stand next to the cute girl handing out the trophies ……………since you were told to stand real close and you might get a kiss out of it…
To be 16 & Think your mom & dad are the greatest in the world, ……………….and know they are not the enemy…..
To be 16 & Know you are loved…
To be 16 & Know how to be a gentleman
To be 16 & Not be thought of by anyone who ever met you as anything other than ………………a truly great young man….
To be 16 & Be my buddy Zak….

I think God knew that this very special soul that would be Zak needed extraordinary parents and a phenomenal family. My hat is off to all of you for such a wonderful job of stewardship of God’s gift.

Based on that, I suspect one of the things Zak would want to say for himself today would be “Thank you all for letting me live such a full and wonderful life in just 16 short years.”

I have, as everyone who knew Zak has, really struggled with “why” this had to be over the last few days. “Why” is obviously not my job. We serve a God who measures the universe with the span of His hand. Therefore, I believe that taking care of Zak is in very good hands now. I truly need those same hands to comfort all of our hurting hearts. The agony seems at times to be too much……..

Hollywood, you took the holeshot and the checker both on me this time! Wait for me at the next fork and I promise I’ll catch up soon!
……………………………………………………………………………………….. TL

Scott called me today and asked if I could read a quote from Teddy Roosevelt that really sounds like it was written about Zak…

“It is not the critic who counts: nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory or defeat.”

I hope this will help with any parents doubtng thier choices to let thier children to continue to race.

Scott Griffin

trx400exxracer
03-17-2006, 10:30 AM
what happened to Zak you guys I remember him from High point in Perry, Ga we both had blasters and always rode together in the race or at Culloden I saw something about him on atvnation but I dont know what happened :(

Johnny & Monica
03-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Scott god bless you an your family , Really nice description of your son . Thanks an God bles you all

STEVENJANNA
03-17-2006, 02:08 PM
As with any issue that regards the safety of children it is ultimately the parents responsibility to assure the safety of there children. A parent needs to know the limitations of there children. I have 3 daughters (15, 8, and 3)and out of the three I think only one of them has a natural ability that would allow her to get on a race track at some point in her life should she want to (my 3 year old). There is a massive difference between racing and rec. riding and I have seen more youth racers that are totally out of control than I care to have seen. There are some youth racers that have more seat time than some pros and there are some who have only been on a quad for 6 months and there in the same class. Nothing makes me cringe more than watching a child riding so far over there head that there a danger to themselves and others. This is not to say to not get involved in racing with your children but when your kids play soccer the better kids aren't doubling over the newbies on the field. It needs to be modified for abilty not age but I don't know how. This has been the problem since the CSPC and the factories set age limits on quads. Here again who knows there childs ability better than a (responsible) parent. Parents can't put there kids on machines and in situations that are above them and at an organized event the officials should be able to see if something is out of place.

Atv's are always under attack because there are other agendas in play under the cover of "child safety". Enviromentalist (sic) are on a never ending quest to close public lands to offroading and this is good ammunition for them.

These are issues that we are going to have stand our ground on and fight I fear for as long as atvs are going to be around. The most important thing we have is our voice and we should use it.

kd5sfq
03-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Thank you Scott. You and your family have been in our prayers since we first heard about the accident from one of Josh's friends (Ryan #414) who was racing with Zak and watched the nightmare unfold.

Even though we have never really met Zak in person, it feels like loosing someone in our family. Perhaps it is because of the closeness we have with other racers and racing families. It seems like each time we go race, our family gets just a little bit larger.

We heard from some of our local racers in GA today. They said that alot of the riders in the youth production class and some in other classes are riding with the number #23 sticker in memory of Zak.

Gary

JRP
03-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica

I agree 100%.

prepracing
03-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
what happened to Zak you guys I remember him from High point in Perry, Ga we both had blasters and always rode together in the race or at Culloden I saw something about him on atvnation but I dont know what happened :(

involved in a fatal racing accident at Gatorback last weekend

440racer66
03-17-2006, 09:25 PM
it should be the parents call i ride a yfz and when i was 13 my dad bought me a 440ex i cant see me riding a 90 can you

coolex
03-18-2006, 07:11 AM
in the top stastitics every group was saying under 14 but for fourweelers they had to rase it to 16 to get a higher number plus there still safer than riding a bycycle

Quad18star
03-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by coolex
in the top stastitics every group was saying under 14 but for fourweelers they had to rase it to 16 to get a higher number plus there still safer than riding a bycycle

Cuz 16 is the minimum legal age to ride an ATV . A thing I would have liked to have seen from the statistics would have been a percentage of how many occured for the number of products sold .

What I mean by that is .... 285 000 kids were injured .... but is this out of 2 million bicycles sold or was this 500 000 bikes sold ??

3.5 million kids had sports injuries .... out of how many kids that play sports?? 20 million?50 Million ?

39 000 ATV injuries out of 500 000 units sold ??

That's when the real numbers come out .

miller821
03-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't see why not, everything your ever going to do is dangerous, so why not have fun while having that danger follow you. Older people race, its not just the 16 and under people that die from racing. I believe they should have all the safety equipment and know the rules and regulations, and teach them to know there limits. But IMO it should be allowed for them to race.

03-18-2006, 09:46 PM
i race..... around the hood...... sometimes

i thinks kids(including myself) should stunt instead its more fun to me