PDA

View Full Version : what gps do you recommend

norcalatver
03-16-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm wanting to buy a gps to mount to the handle bars of my quad. Are any of you guys using a gps? And if so what do you recommend? After getting lost in the dunes on a night ride a couple weeks ago, I have decided to buy a gps unit. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

norcalatver
03-16-2006, 07:22 PM
bump

norcalatver
03-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Wow! I can't believe how fast this post moves to the fourth page! I'm sure some one uses a gps and can give some help ful advise but my post moves faster than yamaha on steroids!

jesshamner
03-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Well it all depends on what you want it for. Garmin's website, www.garmin.com , has a great side by side comparison feature. Unfortunately, its only a comparison between their models. I don't know anything about lowrance or Magellan but lowrance seems to be huge and not lightweight. Magellan looks cheap to me. I have only used Garmin though. I have never had any problems with the units that I have used. I have been looking at the Garmin Etrex legend C at Bass Pro Shop. It is on sale for $179 at the store here in Clarksville, IN. Not sure if it is on sale through the catalog or at other stores. I hope that helps and good luck.

northwest Texas
03-17-2006, 07:34 PM
I have a couple of Magellan 310's that I've had for years (I think that's the model #) One of them is now mounted on my 4wd to use on the farm and the other gets moved around from my truck to my tractor. They're OK, haven't had any complaints except one of them has a small noticable line going vertically through it where I may have lost the pixels (or whatever they're called).

I don't know much of anything other than the ones I have but have heard more people like the Garmins over the Magellan but that's just heresay.

cds
03-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Since you haven't got many responses...

I have an older handheld Garmin GPS. I think it is a GPS12.

I don't have a mount for mine. I use zip-ties when I want it to stay put.

I use it as a precision speedometer for boating and riding. I also sometimes use it as a position locator and a compass.

I sometimes mark one waypoint (usually the boat ramp, an inlet, or a fishing spot). To me, it's just too much of a pain to mark and label multiple waypoints.

I think that the menu structure on my Garmin is complicated and confusing until you figure it out. I purchased an instructional video to learn how to use mine.

If I ever buy another one, I will go to a store and play around with the menus on the different GPS units.

norcalatver
03-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Thank you for your responses. Its hard to decided which gps to get when I don't know the first thing about them. Both Garmin and Magellan have entry level gps's for about $125.00. I just don't want to buy one of those and within a couple weeks wish I'd spent another 1-2 hundred dollars for a different one.

jesshamner
03-20-2006, 08:04 PM
I went ahead and purchased the eTrex Legend C. It was $174...regularly $299. They just came out with the Legend Cx which has the ability to accept a memory card for easy data transfer. See if you can find it on sale near you. It is a great deal for the money.

norcalatver
03-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by jesshamner
I went ahead and purchased the eTrex Legend C. It was $174...regularly $299. They just came out with the Legend Cx which has the ability to accept a memory card for easy data transfer. See if you can find it on sale near you. It is a great deal for the money.
Can you buy a handle bar mount for the E-trex? I like Magellan's website because they actually show which gps are optimal for an individuals personal taste. For example, if you offroad, they have a section just for those types of recommended gps and all the options available. Does E-trex have the same? Thanks again.

jesshamner
03-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Yes, and Garmin's website has that also. www.garmin.com
They also have a purchase assistant tool to use.

You probably want to pick one of these. These are from the outdoor line. http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/products.html#basic

You can find accessories here http://shop.garmin.com/

Handlebar mount http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10267%2D00

brent250
03-23-2006, 02:53 PM
radioshack has a gps for 100
its a giecko
we have 2 and they work fine