PDA

View Full Version : Kid bounce over second jump on doubles

armysig
03-16-2006, 01:16 PM
This last weekend my local track had a prepped track practice. To my delight there was an LT-R 450 at the track. To my sorrow it was owned by a young man that didn't even buy it, his grandmother did for his birthday. Gratz to him I guess.

But on another note. As I watched this novice rider take this sweet bike around the track I noticed that he had it completely stock and had not adjusted the shocks to his weight or riding style. He looked to be about 5ft 10inchs tall, and about 150lbs.

The thing that concerned me is when he went to take a double, (which he did not do) He landed in the center of the 2 jumps and then bounced over the second one (it was about 3ft high). I was amazed that he was doing this. I saw him do this 3 more times through out the day. I have heard that the stock shocks were stiff, but I didn't think they were this stiff.

After I went up to him and found out he had only riding this bike a few times and the one he own before this was a 300EX with limited riding expererance.

From seeing this, I'm going to guess that these shocks were strictly designed for serious MX racing and this bike should not be in the hands of inexperanced riders.

Just something I wanted to share.

MXracer16
03-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by armysig
This last weekend my local track had a prepped track practice. To my delight there was an LT-R 450 at the track. To my sorrow it was owned by a young man that didn't even buy it, his grandmother did for his birthday. Gratz to him I guess.

But on another note. As I watched this novice rider take this sweet bike around the track I noticed that he had it completely stock and had not adjusted the shocks to his weight or riding style. He looked to be about 5ft 10inchs tall, and about 150lbs.

The thing that concerned me is when he went to take a double, (which he did not do) He landed in the center of the 2 jumps and then bounced over the second one (it was about 3ft high). I was amazed that he was doing this. I saw him do this 3 more times through out the day. I have heard that the stock shocks were stiff, but I didn't think they were this stiff.

After I went up to him and found out he had only riding this bike a few times and the one he own before this was a 300EX with limited riding expererance.

From seeing this, I'm going to guess that these shocks were strictly designed for serious MX racing and this bike should not be in the hands of inexperanced riders.

Just something I wanted to share.

I dont know if that is from the stiffness or the rebound setting. Maybe the kid didn't know what he was doing and set the rebound way up.

diangelo#67
03-16-2006, 03:04 PM
the stock settings are probably set at about 250 lbs rider , I made my fronts more stiff to ballance the quad out after a good weekend of hard riding the shocks work alot better, they deffinatly need to be broke in first. I'm 190

jstunkel
03-16-2006, 09:31 PM
I've had my ltr for about 3 weeks now and i've only rode it on one of my buddys backyard track 3 or 4 times. I should have my nerfs in next week so I'll be able to start racing pretty soon.

Everybodys been saying how stiff the stock shocks are and i dont think there too bad for me, im about 5'11" and weigh 175. Granted the biggest jump on his track is only a 50 foot double but the suspension felt pretty good to me. I overshot the double pretty good a few times just to see what would happen and as long as you land back wheels first its pretty smooth. When i get my first chance on a real track im still going to try adjusting it a little softer but i dont think its as bad as some people are making it sound.

It's awesome through the whoops too though. Just lean back, pick the front wheels up a little and keep the throttle pinned and it will skip right over them with ease.

GOTFEAR
03-18-2006, 09:56 PM
kids do the dangest things

KWAD GAWD
03-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by diangelo#67
the stock settings are probably set at about 250 lbs rider , I made my fronts more stiff to ballance the quad out after a good weekend of hard riding the shocks work alot better, they deffinatly need to be broke in first. I'm 190
Where do you come up with this stuff?
A 250 rider is a fatty. This is a race bike, racers aren't fatties. They weigh usually between 140-190 - Average male adult weight is around 175. Why would you say the shocks are set up for a 250lb lineman? No true at all.
They feel stiff because you probably aren't pushing the bike to it's potential. The bike is made to go fast, as for the shock settings.

ill_lil_romey
03-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by KWAD GAWD

They feel stiff because you probably aren't pushing the bike to it's potential. The bike is made to go fast, as for the shock settings.
I totally agree with this statement. My riding buddies say the same thing about the front shocks on my quad, that they are very stiff to them, but I ride alot harder and faster than them and the shocks are fine for my riding style. A faster more aggressive riding style requires stiffer shock settings.

armysig
03-21-2006, 06:27 AM
A 250 rider is a fatty. This is a race bike, racers aren't fatties. They weigh usually between 140-190 - Average male adult weight is around 175. Why would you say the shocks are set up for a 250lb lineman? No true at all.

Dang, that's just not cool to say. Most guys that weight that much are not all fat or have a high body fat content. I just got out of the army and I was 235lbs. And I wasn't fat.
What about guys that are over 6' 2" or taller? I know a lot of guys that race that are very tall. They are no were close to being fat, but they are close to or over 250lbs.
For you to generalize that all men that are 250lbs are fat is way off. Next time you better think before you write something, it could offend a lot of people that come to this site.

03-21-2006, 11:54 AM
:o

AceLtz
03-21-2006, 03:05 PM
All he needs to do is adjust the shocks. The rear is super adjustable and can go really soft. Im 130lbs and the rear is how i want it. Turn the compression down and it softens up a lot. the fronts still are a little stiff. im probably going to have them redone by tcs when they get the springs in.

Quad Boy 660r
03-21-2006, 05:19 PM

Yeah, I'm with him. Suzuki made that bike for aggressive racing, not fat people. Nothing personal to any "fluffy people". Just gotta push it as hard as you can, I guess.

motox450r
03-21-2006, 07:57 PM
the stock shocks on the ltr are tops for stockers BUT, realistically they don't compare to a pep, axis. you'd be ltr heaven with one of these aftermarkets. i used to think stiff was good when first bought aftermarkets but man was i wrong. stiff shocks are going to be harder on your frame also. and they don't go through the whoops as nice as a softer shock. {i.e.} i didn't know it but i blew one of my pep's and raced several times on them. i was out riding one day and i was hitting the whoops section alot harder than i had ever hit them and i could have hit them harder than i was. a couple of the guys that were there was asking how it felt to be hitting them that hard and i said it felt great and i could do better than that. one guy rode it and he didn't even notice one was blown. so don't think that you need stiff shocks for mx that's a myth. now that i've had mine serviced i can't hit those same whoops like i did when i had a blown shock. i was doing alot more bottoming out than i should have been too on my jump landings. now if your overshooting or coming up short that stiffness is nice to have but i'll stick to a shock that is set up right at the edge of being to soft. there's no stock shock that has valving like a pep or axis shock. elkas are nice but i don't think their valving is as good as pep, axis, tcs. you guy's with these stiff shocks are missing out. but everybody has a riding style of there own. one man's junk is another man's treasure. good luck on the track

diangelo#67
03-22-2006, 06:58 PM
I came up with this amazing thought from wayne moridian of P.E.P shocks I talked to him in fla. and he said to undo the pre load and re-set the comp to 7 clicks in

diangelo#67
03-22-2006, 07:02 PM
oh and I am 6' 195 lbs. so I'm not that fat, anyway the rear felt more stiff then the front. a good way to judge is when you are on the quad feet on the pegs apply pressure to the pegs to make it compress. mine dove in the front more so I stiffend the fronts

03-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by diangelo#67
I came up with this amazing thought from wayne moridian of P.E.P shocks I talked to him in fla. and he said to undo the pre load and re-set the comp to 7 clicks in

Was wayne talkin about the front or rear? That man is one smart dude.

motox450r
03-22-2006, 09:49 PM
wayne is a shock GOD! why do ya think natalies fox's were so awesome last year? seth your number 2.

diangelo#67
03-24-2006, 03:15 PM
the rear, he said they have to set them up that way from the factory to cover the wide range of riders that are going to buy the quads

diangelo#67
03-24-2006, 03:16 PM
he also said that if you can tell there is a problem you can probably figure what to change on the shocks yourself