PDA

View Full Version : How do you all do it??

QuadJunkies
03-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I dunno about everyone else but ... having yourself AND your kids racing is sure expensive!:scary: everything is X's two !!

We just got the kids there set ups yesterday. I think this should help them out a great deal . Now I just need to have there dampers rebuilt, they are leaking . :ermm:

LOL its ALWAYS something eh??! :p

QuadJunkies
03-16-2006, 10:47 AM
now if I could just get the correct sprocket order here it woud be great!! 2 day air and its been over a week...only one showed up ! :mad: :rolleyes:

3-D Racing Dad
03-16-2006, 11:18 AM
LOL!!! I dont know about anyone else but I dont race, I spend it on Kyle and his machine.

I did sell my Ranger bassboat and some of my gear that I used for tournaments. But I dont miss it, I think that doing this is more fun.

QuadJunkies
03-16-2006, 11:53 AM
My Husband and I are still kids at heart and cant resist to race some still so until we kick the bug a bit, I guess we stay in the broke house!! :o :p

This year we are approaching finances alot differently. If we dont have , we dont buy it . So far Ive stuck to my guns . That will change a bit when we buy the Motorhome ,but thats a little different .lol:)
no but serisouly, buying for two kids is alot of maintence and expense .
LilQJ will have another quad to practice on here in about two more weeks for next year so there goes another quad to deal with! :eek2: :scary:

bstuart
03-16-2006, 04:11 PM
I feel your pain. I race local XC and local and national TT and I have 3 racing local TT and 2 of those hitting the Nationals with me. And a two year old that chases her brothers and sister around the yard on her LT50. It won't be long and I'll be unloading 5 race quads at the track. Whew - I don't have time for this - I need to get back to work!!!!!!!

AtvMxRider
03-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Thats why I don't race anymore:ermm: . It gets real expensive when you have to kids racing. my youngest has 2 bikes and my oldest 1 quad but I will have to buy him a new one next year. Our biggest expense racing lately has been gas it just shot up to $2.50 a gallon here the past week. All me and my wife do is work so we can race it takes every cent we have(and some we don't have) to be able to do it but I wouldn't trade it for anything in this world.

dirtmomma
03-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Ahhh YES it's GREAT isn't it :o we are in the same boat & that's why we have pretty much quite racing too :( it's only a matter of time Tina ;) LOL cuz them kids are the FUTURE that's for sure!!
We just found out how one little wipe out can set ya back :( had to get a new axle for the mini, also some bars & other stuff!! Darn kid!!
As for the BIG boy well I'm just sooooooooo happy we got him the YFZ I think if we reallly sat down & figured it out we may be a little ahead since we don't have to rebuild after about every race LOL no is wasn't that bad but was getting close to it!! Now his parts are more $4 but that's just cuz we decided we aren't going to be getting as many used parts as before, this quad gets the NICE stuff who cares about Mom & Dad's trail quads hahaha
Did you guys get LilQJ a blaster????? Ahhhhh just wait till you start doing stuff to THAT :blah: good ol' 2 strokes gotta love em ;););)
You guys are getting a motorhome?? YOu will LOVE it :D:D:D We wouldn't know WHAT to do w/o ours THAT'S for sure!!

Keep your head up girl!!! You can always trail ride :D:D That's what Ron & I have resorted too, we've been leaving the kids HOME too :D:D They get to race on the track & we get to trail ride!! Well I guess I do throw a race in here & there :o:devil: Just get that itch ya know!!!

WE are FT'ing this weekend in Renton it will be just DJ racing so THAT'LL save us quite a bit of $$ but I bet he'll want to run TWO classes now:ermm:

wvspeedfreak
03-16-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't know how you guys do it.I work a full time job and do side work and my wife woks full time.This will be Austin's first year racing and he has already torn up alot of stuff just practicing and we haven't even gotten him to his first race yet:p My wife and I both have quads but only ride for fun we don't race.Oh,well it is pretty much the only hobby we have and it allows us to do stuff together as a family so as long as we are having fun we will keep busting our tails to finance it.

AtvMxRider
03-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I don't know how you guys do it.I work a full time job and do side work and my wife woks full time.This will be Austin's first year racing and he has already torn up alot of stuff just practicing and we haven't even gotten him to his first race yet:p My wife and I both have quads but only ride for fun we don't race.Oh,well it is pretty much the only hobby we have and it allows us to do stuff together as a family so as long as we are having fun we will keep busting our tails to finance it.

LOL wait until he starts racing thats when it gets real expensive. You will forever be buying something for the quad or something for him or something for......... you get the idea:devil: Hopt to see you guys this weekend Jason we are supposed to have nice weather.

coryatver
03-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Tell them kids to get jobs:D

wvspeedfreak
03-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
LOL wait until he starts racing thats when it gets real expensive. You will forever be buying something for the quad or something for him or something for......... you get the idea:devil: Hopt to see you guys this weekend Jason we are supposed to have nice weather.

Jerry,we won't be coming down this weekend.I didn't even realize there was a race there until last night and we have some prior commitments for this weekend.We will definately see you at one though and thanks again for your help.

AtvMxRider
03-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Jerry,we won't be coming down this weekend.I didn't even realize there was a race there until last night and we have some prior commitments for this weekend.We will definately see you at one though and thanks again for your help.

You are welcome for the help. Anytime, Just let me know when you guys are coming down.

kasea90cc
03-16-2006, 08:46 PM
it sounds like we're all making sacrifices for are kids racing ,another thing we have incommon is we all love are kids:D

BradLoomis
03-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by kasea90cc
it sounds like we're all making sacrifices for are kids racing ,another thing we have incommon is we all love are kids:D

SACRIFICES... a drug addiction with a gambling problem and an overdue loan from the mob would have to be cheaper than my two boys racing their mini's!

But you're right in that, I sure love my boys! And the look on every little racers face when I see them giving it everything they have whether it 5 or 50 mph and 2.5" or 25 jumps.

QuadJunkies
03-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Thats why I don't race anymore:ermm: . It gets real expensive when you have to kids racing. my youngest has 2 bikes and my oldest 1 quad but I will have to buy him a new one next year. Our biggest expense racing lately has been gas it just shot up to $2.50 a gallon here the past week. All me and my wife do is work so we can race it takes every cent we have(and some we don't have) to be able to do it but I wouldn't trade it for anything in this world.

I feel your pain Jerry, we all run race fuel and its NOT cheap for sure!!

I love my kids and I love seeing them share the sport with us so it all makes it all worth while ;)

QuadJunkies
03-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Tell them kids to get jobs:D

LOL!!! Actully, they do!

My kids have ot share the chores of helping get there quads cleanded/shined up ... They pack al lthe bags and gather the gear and help ALOT around he house. Prol alot more than most kids do that they hang around with that DONT race ,but its a group effort and if everyone doesnt pitch in ,then we cant make it work since we both work and we work opposite shifts.

badvox
03-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by BradLoomis
SACRIFICES... a drug addiction with a gambling problem and an overdue loan from the mob would have to be cheaper than my two boys racing their mini's!

LOL I would add that this will keep the boys from having an addiction and a gambling habit. So in the end its all worth it!!

:)

Good thread for sure!!

Arctic Cat Dad
03-17-2006, 08:21 AM
I know where your coming from Quadjunkie. My wife and I both work. It takes alot of overtime on my part. Were only middle class folks but I will do whetever I have to to keep him racing.

He also has 2 quads and a race bike. I believe the Polini is going this year. We finally got his AC mini where I want it .(all the mods). Now I have to build his 06 Honda trx 90.

One thing were going to do this year is. Less local racing. He use to race an east coast series which he ran about 15 xc races. Now were just gonna race XC Nationals. That means we only have 10 races. They are alot farther away but worth the driving.

My wife is always bringing up the money thing. She likes to save to much.:confused: But I know we easily spend around $1000 a month during race season just going to Nationals. I'm glad I do all the mechanic work,and lets hope he doesn't blow something inbetween.But this is the price we all have to pay if were going to give our little 1 a shot at what they love.

The money I spend on his racing: way to much
Seeing your son win a National Championship: PRICELESS!

QuadJunkies
03-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Dad
I know where your coming from Quadjunkie. My wife and I both work. It takes alot of overtime on my part. Were only middle class folks but I will do whetever I have to to keep him racing.

He also has 2 quads and a race bike. I believe the Polini is going this year. We finally got his AC mini where I want it .(all the mods). Now I have to build his 06 Honda trx 90.

One thing were going to do this year is. Less local racing. He use to race an east coast series which he ran about 15 xc races. Now were just gonna race XC Nationals. That means we only have 10 races. They are alot farther away but worth the driving.

My wife is always bringing up the money thing. She likes to save to much.:confused: But I know we easily spend around $1000 a month during race season just going to Nationals. I'm glad I do all the mechanic work,and lets hope he doesn't blow something inbetween.But this is the price we all have to pay if were going to give our little 1 a shot at what they love.

The money I spend on his racing: way to much
Seeing your son win a National Championship: PRICELESS!

LOL well Im glad ya' ll share our pain!! :p
I wish we could hit more National races ,but with school its too tough to hit too much so they will do State and three local events and some of the WORCS races this year .having a motorhome will make life a little easier for us traveling as well,were goign to check into one this wk end - at least shop around .:)

speaking of Drugs ...
I cant think of a better way to spend time with your family than racing on the wk end! It also help keeps the kids minds off of drugs and drinking,kids will want to stay fit and in shape if we keep them interested. I hope my kids never steer that direction .Even if they quit racing, we always have fun rides on the wk ends .

dirttrack71
03-17-2006, 02:03 PM
WOW I thought all you were rich and it was just me strugling to make ends meet. I have a 10 year old racing and my 5 year old son is starting to do some local stuff this season. Now his twin sister is showing interst in racing. You are so right about the drugs and drinking thing if they are with family all the time having fun then there is no time for them to get into trouble. Well not too much anyway.:)

maggiesboy
03-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I would have to quit quad to afford a drug habit.

Livin4Real
03-17-2006, 06:20 PM
My wife is always bringing up the money thing. She likes to save to much.

LOL, I feel ya! Right before I left for work tonight I finished loading up the trailer and packing everything for racing tomorrow and the wife caught me on the way out asking how much this weekend lol. It's our first race of the season so I have memberships and district cards and ama fees to deal with but I assured her it would be cheaper after this weekend :p We work opposite shifts too so she puts up with alot and I thank her for that. This will be our first year running nats and we'll hit 3 or 4 to see how it goes, it's just a lot of money to pay for a quad race.
I'm glad I only have one kid racing (daughter will be soon if I have anything to do with it, lol ) as it helps cut down on costs but
it's pricey nonetheless if you want to be competitive but like everyone else said it's worth it seeing your kid have fun. :D

Arctic Cat Dad
03-20-2006, 05:50 PM
One of my favorite sayings is. You can't put a price on happiness. If you could then I must be 1 happy camper!:D :devil:

On the drug thing. My son hates to go to town. He loves the woods. He says the mountains are his home. I feel if you keep a kid busy with nature. Hunting,camping,fishing,backpacking, and the biggest 1 of all riding 4 wheelers and bikes in the woods.It teaches them the real bacics of life. He always says he's proud to be a mountain man.

kasea90cc
03-21-2006, 08:51 PM
wow this turned out to be a great thread,shows how much we care about are kids and others at the tracks, "great sport" my 8 yearold just won his 5th series championship and my other son has a 3.8 grade average > proud dad < racing has been a blessing to are family and are friends families that race also,it keeps the family tite and thats what its all about, every dime i have and make will go for my kids in what ever they want to do or try, I speak for all of us when i say the kids are are lifes :D

get up and give your family a hug

kids grow fast:D :macho

250xdude
03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
LOL, I feel ya! Right before I left for work tonight I finished loading up the trailer and packing everything for racing tomorrow and the wife caught me on the way out asking how much this weekend lol.
it's worth it seeing your kid have fun. :D

Boy does this all sound too familiar, All the money I put into the 4-wheelers for my 2 boys and I could put a dent in the national debt,
My wife always has to ask that question on our way out the door with the 4-wheelers packed, HOW MUCH ARE YOU TAKING OUT OF THE ATM?! Cough Cough...mumble...20 or 200 bucks..ehmm. gotta go!!

Man I hate that!

Is it worth it? 100% Yes.

Arctic Cat Dad
03-23-2006, 07:00 PM
I never thought that this would all turn out the way it did. I mean when we pulled into our first track. It has snowballed into so much. The good lord has blessed me so much.

It all started when a XC race came to our mountain. Michael has grown up on a quad since the VERY first day we brought him home. Wife got to carry him into the house AFTER I rode him around our field on my quad.( oldmans work quad). He was 4. As were were watching the little guys on the mini's. He took off running after them. I grabed him up and asked him where you going. "I'm gonna get his 4 wheeler and race it.

I've had a blast doing it with the family. I've seen some awesome country and made many many new friends. Who are like family. I'm just glad we all have so much fun.

Were going racing you coming!
See ya at the tracks.

The Mussi's

fastex91
03-24-2006, 03:46 PM
I had to quit a few years back due to several concussions and sold everything I owned race related. 4 years later I now have a larger trailer than before and 2 race quads and 2 bikes for my kids. It's twice as much fun as when I raced and of course about 3 times as expensive. But it is worth every penny we put in to it and the kids are loving it. In fact, our local track just cancelled their weekend races due to the weather and my kids are sooo upset. My daughter's 7th bithday is today and she was so excited about getting to go to the races for her birthday.
My wife and I work regular factory jobs making candy and we sacrifice a lot of other things to pay for the kids' racing. We aren't "money" rich, but we are family rich by spending time with the kids. Racing is a lot more fun for the family than stick and ball sports in my opinion also.

Livin4Real
03-24-2006, 08:38 PM
We aren't "money" rich, but we are family rich

Right on ;)

Pitmom
03-27-2006, 08:13 PM
great post!

funny...my neighbors son walks by and looks at all our quads and our trailer and he says "boy, you must be real rich". lol, if he only knew the kids were eating Top Ramon!

We had all five of our kids racing at one time from pee wee, blaster, to 450's. Thank goodness only two wanted to stick it out and feel this is their future! Yes it is very expense keeping two kaseas and a YFZ450 running along with just our Glamis bikes. (couple more 450's and a blaster). We had 11 quads at one time, 5 were race bikes.

We almost got out of this year but when Clayton won the Championship...well... we got the bug again and had to please the sponsors. And now we have to travel for 1/2 the series instead of all at Glen Helen, that really hurt the old wallet! It sure makes it more fun though.

but you know... I would not have it any other way, I was brought up racing...it is in our blood so we will just keep it going!

QuadJunkies
03-28-2006, 12:19 AM
great stories..

PitMom~~ If you kids grow tired of plain Top Ramen, throw some cheese and diced ham in it... Makes a great Cheap-fast meal for the kiddos!! LOL! :p

Livin4Real
03-28-2006, 01:18 AM
another cheap alternative:

5 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
3 eggs

bring the soy sauce and broth to boil, while waiting beat the eggs. After liquid comes to a boil slowly pour the eggs into the boiling pot from about 8-10" above the pot, stir the liquid while doing so, serve immediately. :)

not off-topic or anything :p

dirttrack71
03-28-2006, 02:38 AM
Yall get to eat?:D

dirtmomma
03-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Haha good last few posts :) yep my kids would LIVE on top ramen if I let them & the hubby too..............................hmmm maybe I should do that then we'd have MORE $$ for parts & entry fees hahaha we may be traveling more this summer if it's at all possible since ANOTHER one of our nice little indoor tracks is closing :(:(:(

Pitmom
03-28-2006, 08:38 AM
great recipes, I do add a scrambled egg or two in it, gives some protein. I will try the ham and cheese also, but my son's are seeming to becoming a vegitarian...they dont want red meat or ham...just chicken if anything.

Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I remember going to Mexico with my dad for his Baja races and living on beans and rice. Maybe that is what helped him win so much, lots of gas..oops I mean beans.:bandit:

QuadJunkies
03-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by dirttrack71
Yall get to eat?:D LOL!! :p

QuadJunkies
03-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Haha good last few posts :) yep my kids would LIVE on top ramen if I let them & the hubby too..............................hmmm maybe I should do that then we'd have MORE $$ for parts & entry fees hahaha we may be traveling more this summer if it's at all possible since ANOTHER one of our nice little indoor tracks is closing :(:(:( were losing a Track too DM. Our racing under the lights is now gone .:(

Livin4Real
03-28-2006, 09:19 PM
We're hitting our first national this weekend in Maryland since the kids are on spring break we figured we'd give it a shot so we don't have to pull Brandon out of school. It's about 12 hrs away so the drive is gonna be fun ...not! So $150 for our part of the gas money, $145 for gate, race and practice fees , and 24 hrs of driving in 4 days, all for a quad race, lol. I must be nuts :p

QuadJunkies
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
We're hitting our first national this weekend in Maryland since the kids are on spring break we figured we'd give it a shot so we don't have to pull Brandon out of school. It's about 12 hrs away so the drive is gonna be fun ...not! So $150 for our part of the gas money, $145 for gate, race and practice fees , and 24 hrs of driving in 4 days, all for a quad race, lol. I must be nuts :p
Good luck!! LEt us know how it goes :)

I think for a wk end at one WORCS round we Averaged last year about 700.00 for the wk end a Hotel rooms for two days :eek: :scary:

Livin4Real
03-29-2006, 12:08 AM
YIKES!!!! I don't feel so bad now, the drive is still gonna suck though, getting home at 3am on monday morning :huh

QuadJunkies
03-29-2006, 12:16 AM
LOL :p Its becuase my kids run to race each day so in total- 6 races between the kids and Hubby.,We als opay to practice the track the day before the Event. The out of town events wold be tough for us considering my Hubby works Mon morning at 1am :scary: and Sis is n J. high this year so missing school is not an option.

Livin4Real
03-29-2006, 12:30 AM
I hear ya. I'm a graveyard shifter for 10yrs. now 11p-730a but it pays the bills so I can't leave :p

QuadJunkies
03-29-2006, 12:45 AM
I hear ya. I'm a graveyard shifter for 10yrs. now 11p-730a but it pays the bills so I can't leave :p Swing shift for me, sucks only seeing the Family on the wk ends :( but ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess.

smokinwrench
04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
WOW, I feel so much better now after reading all that. I thought I was the only one that struggled to do this and we don't race that much just a few local races. When you live in the middle of no where just not that much racing.

My boy and I both race some. My wife and daughter just pleasure ride but keeping 4 quads runing and buying mods for 2 is damn expensive.