PDA

View Full Version : Tear offs (how many)

tim colston
03-16-2006, 06:25 AM
I was wondering how many tear offs do you all put on your goggles when racing. I have an inexpensive set of oakley goggles, and I am doing a harescramble this weekend. I purchased some tearoffs last night and didn't want too many on it seemed to get a little blury.

thanks in advance.

duke416ex
03-16-2006, 07:16 AM
I usually run about 4 or 5 and try not to rip them all off the first time.

400exrules
03-16-2006, 07:51 AM
ive got my first harescramble this weekend (first race of the season also) and i just ordered a set of 20 tear-offs. my buddy said to use like 5-6, he's gonna help me fold them right, and put them on.
good luck to ya this weekend!

tim colston
03-16-2006, 07:59 AM
I am running in my first harescramble this weekend as well. I wil stick with 5 or so hopefully I don't run out. Good luck to you as well.

Nick110
03-16-2006, 12:26 PM
If u have the tab ones make sure you fold them. I didnt know what i was doing my frist race and i pulled all of them off the first time. You should put on one then take the cut out part at the end of the tear off and put that over the tab too. Then put another tear off on and make sure the folded part is still there. Repeat and you are ready to go.

Here is a link that shows you how to do it. Its on a sportbike helmet but its the same concept.

http://www.racingoptics.com/INS/SpeedStack.pdf

tim colston
03-16-2006, 12:40 PM
thanks a lot everyone. I will be using all of these tips this weekend.

03-16-2006, 01:47 PM
It depends on the conditions. I stack on 15-20 for each of my motos if its loamy, wet, ect. About 10 if it's hardpack. I would advise you to get goggles with a third clip tearoff system, because the two-post fold system is outdated and makes it very easy to tear all of them off at once. If you have the doe get Oakleys, they have a sick laminated tearoff system that leats you stack 28 on without blurring. Scott also has a similar setup now for their "works" series goggles. The laminated oakley's come in stacks of 7, the Scott's in 3's. One pack of scotts has 3 sets of 3, and the oakleys depend on what size you get-14,21, ect..

hrc
03-16-2006, 02:02 PM
I cant figure out how to fold my tear offs and I can not open that link can some one post up a pic of their goggles with them on ?

03-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by hrc
I cant figure out how to fold my tear offs and I can not open that link can soem oen post up a pic of their goggles with them on ? I need to know what kind of goggles they are to tell you that.

hrc
03-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
I need to know what kind of goggles they are to tell you that.

I have scott 89xi goggles.

03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by hrc
I have scott 89xi goggles. Ok, do you have your goggles close by?

03-16-2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.scottusa.com/i/images/products/NoSweatXi_works_tearoff.jpg

Take your tearoff and put the part that covers the lense itself over the posts, locking it in. Then take your tab and pop it onto your 3rd clip, located on the strap. Fold the tab back over itself, and place the bigger whole near the end of the tearoff back over the 3rd clip. Repeat.

Ridin' Jesse
03-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Depends on the conditions. I put how ever many I feel I will need for the race.

Sjorge450R
03-16-2006, 04:57 PM
i personaly (XC racer) dont like tear-offs. Next set of goggles you get to get some Roll-offs. They work better for XC. But with the tear-offs. Make sure that you dont pull them all off and once and make sure you tear foward. (i pull to the left since im used to roll offs......:o )