PDA

View Full Version : HID Group Buy???????

copter
03-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Would anyone be interested in a HID lighting (factory location) group buy????

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8255/vision26tc.jpg

03-15-2006, 10:15 PM
dang how much? doubt it tho

redriderex
03-16-2006, 03:38 AM
how bright are they,how many watts do they draw,and do they fit in the stock light housing.how much money you talking

copter
03-16-2006, 10:58 PM
I talked to them today and they want at least 5 to get a group purchase... I'm thinking $170-$180...

I'm working with the company to get the best fit for the stock housing and they are 35w each....

DirtDevilBT
03-17-2006, 12:14 PM
How many watts to the put out? What color are they? Do they fit without modification? I am very interested depending on your response. Put me down for a kit.

Also, give use some back ground info on the company or a website. I want to know more before I spend that kit of money, like how will they work with a 04-05? Does it come with a capacitor or small battery? etc etc

NET450r350x
03-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah give us some more info about the setup. i might be interested.

redriderex
03-18-2006, 03:10 AM
we need more info on these,im running hids from trail tech,awsome light.these are the mr16 and and draw 30 watts a piece and put out 200.00 total,but i wouldnt mine some in my stock light housing..spec we need,here the link for trail tech
http://www.trailtech.net/eclipse_mr16.htm

exrider44
03-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Sounds like alot of cash. I would first try the piaa bulbs but thats just me.Its cheaper on the pocket

copter
03-19-2006, 12:41 PM
OK, I bought mine for $200 and used the 9006 bulbs in 6500k. I used the 2 screws to hold in the factory metal housing to center and pinch the bulb tabs in place. I used a Bosch relay and got 12v from the ignition wiring. The ballast takes a lot of current to "fire" and if your're at idle the lights kinda flicker a bit. I also started the bike with the choke and the lights fired fine. Once the bulbs warm up, it was ok at idle. So don't leave the switch on when starting and only turn on the lights if you're above idle. The light output is incredible. The bulbs are rated at 35 watts but in HID, the output is so much more.. Mounting the ballast and ignitors was fun. I used the supplied mounting hardware and mounted them to the brackets where the push pin mounts are for the front fenders.

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/7906/dsc003742dc.jpghttp://img473.imageshack.us/img473/9595/dsc003754wh.jpg
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8851/dsc003765sp.jpghttp://img137.imageshack.us/img137/5271/dsc003805aq.jpg
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8500/dsc003811sm.jpg

If more than 5 people are interested they "might" give us $10-$20 off...

And in case you ask, yes the plastic is painted..

DirtDevilBT
03-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Copter... Lets see some pics at night!

exrider44....I have the PIAA bulbs and they are soooo much better than stock. They are very good and well worth the money, however they can't hold their own to HID, that's my next step.

norcalatver
03-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Will those work in a 400 EX stock head light housing? If so, please post some information on the company or p.m. me the information. I've always wanted halide lights but have never liked having to either mount them on the bars or frame rails. Thanks for the info!

copter
03-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
Copter... Lets see some pics at night!

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8995/dsc003824ns.jpghttp://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5136/dsc003849cp.jpg
HID on the 450r
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/7598/dsc003876qm.jpg
Stock lighting on the 400ex
http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/3980/dsc003866oq.jpg
http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/7986/dsc003854jn.jpg

copter
03-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by norcalatver
Will those work in a 400 EX stock head light housing? If so, please post some information on the company or p.m. me the information. I've always wanted halide lights but have never liked having to either mount them on the bars or frame rails. Thanks for the info!

05-06 yes but I'm not sure on the older light housings. Take a pic of the back of the housing and we'll look at it and see....

NET450r350x
03-19-2006, 08:47 PM
copter,

so how hard on a scale of 1 to 10 would this be to instal? also how waterproof do you think the system will be? I'm just concerned about the reliability of the whole thing. also, is there any modifications done to the headlight housing that would prevent it from being switched back to stock?

The HIDs look slick and i'm very interested in getting the kit. that tax refund is just burning a hole in my pocket.....:blah:

copter
03-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by NET450r350x
copter,

so how hard on a scale of 1 to 10 would this be to instal? also how waterproof do you think the system will be? I'm just concerned about the reliability of the whole thing. also, is there any modifications done to the headlight housing that would prevent it from being switched back to stock?

The HIDs look slick and i'm very interested in getting the kit. that tax refund is just burning a hole in my pocket.....:blah:

Hmmmm on a scale from 1-10... It depends on your ability.. I'm comfortable in the 12 volt enviroment so for me it was easy. It took about thirty minutes to install the lights and wire (solder, tape and wire the relay).

The kits are made to be mounted under the hood of a car so waterproof, no but water resistant, yes.

It can be switched back to stock by just re-soldering the wires back on.

DirtDevilBT
03-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Hey copter, I like the pics but I'm talking NIGHT pictures. I want to see what the light output is on the ground, against a garage maybe, and out on a fireroad of sorts. What everyone is looking for is how far down the road they project vs. stock ones. How well do they go to the sides vs. stock ones. The problem with mounting HIDs in the stock location is you still end up with the stock lighting pattern and that's why companies like TT and LS mount seperate systems to control the light pattern. I am interested because I don't want my headlight on the handlebars where I can easily destroy them, or on the frame down low where they might not be affective.

I did a PIAA vs stock light comparison on another site, best way to get the difference across is to do a before and after with camera shots from the riders perspective. You can use the 400ex for the before so you don't have to take the system back apart. If I like the pics, I'll order the kit from you.

NET450r350x
03-24-2006, 12:42 PM
. If I like the pics, I'll order the kit from you.

ditto

copter
03-25-2006, 11:05 AM
I'll take the pics tonight if the weather is good..

And BTW I'm not the one selling the kits. I'm just trying to give you guys the best lighting option available for your bikes..

copter
03-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Stock 400ex
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/9621/dsc012647on.jpg

HID on the 4fiddy
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/2892/dsc012651tz.jpg

beany
03-25-2006, 11:46 PM
What company did you get the HID setup from?? Lokked at the trailtech site and didnt see anything. I may have missed it though. I thinkin I need HID now!:D

DirtDevilBT
03-26-2006, 12:39 AM
It's an automotive company making aftermarket HID systems for cars without HID.

DirtDevilBT
03-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Those look pretty good, maybe even better with a little adjusting. Is it possible to point them more on the road? I am interested in doing these lights with one spot light mounted on the handlebars to point far down the road. These go really far and look nice. Maybe these lights with a flood HID on the handlebars? hmmmm

copter
03-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by beany
What company did you get the HID setup from?? Looked at the trailtech site and didnt see anything. I may have missed it though. I thinkin I need HID now!:D

CQLight (http://www.cqlight.ca/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=142&osCsid=e3bb75464408d5baa67f395999226a98)

Call 510.688.3122 or 408.661.2668 and ask for Kevin. Let him know you want them for an ATV.

Those look pretty good, maybe even better with a little adjusting. Is it possible to point them more on the road? I am interested in doing these lights with one spot light mounted on the handlebars to point far down the road. These go really far and look nice. Maybe these lights with a flood HID on the handlebars? hmmmm

You can adjust the factory housing with a 10mm. Look in your manual, its easy.. As far as adding another spot, its not needed. These lights are bright as hell, you'll be happy with just this conversion.

bh2285
03-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Waste of money for an ATV. I can see how it would be good for a car but an atv that bounces around alot off-road not good for the blub...

DezSled
03-26-2006, 06:03 PM
You might want to rethink that reply. Ever see the movie 'Dust to Glory'? For anyone who wants to see at night and that includes off road race trucks and buggies and motorcycles and yes quads the hid systems are the way to go. They are proven in many miles of off road racing. The Baja Designs dual light hid system is over $800 so the system/kit on this thread is actually very reasonable. It has me pondering. I enjoy riding at night in the dunes & off road, and want to see the gotchas. My hats off to this threads creator.

copter
03-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by DezSled
My hats off to this threads creator.

Why thank you sir...

As I stated in a previous post.
I'm just trying to give you guys the best lighting option available for your bikes..

DirtDevilBT
03-26-2006, 09:41 PM
What kit is this? What is the crossover number to automotive terms? I would like to make sure the bulb fits without modification and knowing the correct automotive number would help. Thanks for starting the thread even though you have nothing to gain by it. <-hopefully :D

copter
03-27-2006, 07:27 PM
What kit is this? What is the crossover number to automotive terms? I would like to make sure the bulb fits without modification and knowing the correct automotive number would help. Thanks for starting the thread even though you have nothing to gain by it. <-hopefully :D

Originally posted by copter
OK, I bought mine for $200 and used the 9006 bulbs in 6500k. I used the 2 screws to hold in the factory metal housing to center and pinch the bulb tabs in place. I used a Bosch relay and got 12v from the ignition wiring.

DirtDevilBT
03-27-2006, 11:58 PM
:D d'oh!

Would you be willing to do a review or a "how to"? I have installed extra lights on my warrior and did a handlebar mounted trailtech torch light system before, but HID is a different story. How did u run the capacitors and relay?

Could you take some up close picks and do a sort of walk through?

trailtech
03-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Be careful with anything you put in the stcok housing:

#1) The optics on the stock reflector are beam clipped (optimized for not blinding oncoming traffic). As well they are influnced by the "looks" of the light. This all addes up to poor output even when a good source is used.

#2) No exact fit HID kits for the stock housings are available. Your focal point will be off and your light pattern will suffer.

All this being said, putting lights in the stock housings is a fun project. Almost impossible not to make a big improvement over stock as the stock burner is garbage. In the end, a pair of MR16 HID's will put anything in the stock housign to shame.

Abrannan19
03-28-2006, 12:04 PM
WHAT ABOUT THE INCREASED HEAT..?? IS THE FACTORY HOUSING GONNA STAND UP TO THAT FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME??

trailtech
03-28-2006, 01:04 PM
the housing is a thermoset, it will be ok with the heat. The Lens is a PC material and will melt if the lamp gets to close on the inside.

DirtDevilBT
03-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Trailtech: I was planning on using these stock location HID lights along with your older HID handlebar system, the ones that use 17 watts I think. That would keep me under the magic 100 watts mark and give me a lot of light. Is it possible to wire up such an idea?

Also, would a system like the one in my head work better if I used a small 12v battery mounted up under the hood? I have a small Radio Shack battery the size of three playing card decks. If I could mount it under the hood would that help or would it die because there is no recharging system? Just an idea.

I like the mr16's but am trying to do something different. Don't know yet.

trailtech
03-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Your idea will work.

A battery is a good idea. We have a battery the size of a deck of card that will plug into your stock wire harness and charge from the stock stator (No mods required). We can also put the stock connector on your lights so you will not need to cut anything.

04'400ex'er
03-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Would this HID setup be brighter than Trail
Tech's torch light kit? I Dont like the look of the lights on the bars, but I like the directional light for the Dune Trail rides. If this HID setup was as bright or brighter, I would probably go that route just for the cleaner look.

Trailtech, Have you ever considered creating a kit to greatly improve visibility that will also fit in the stock housing?

trailtech
03-28-2006, 05:10 PM
04 400ex'er:

No, they will not be brighter than a pair of 50watt torch lights.

This is exactly why we dont do the stock housings. The optics are junk, no matter how good the lamp you put them, it will underperform. You can put a good HID lamp in the stock housing and it will be lots brighter than stock but your not getting what you paid for.

If you must have the stock housing, follow the guy who started this thread. One picture above has a blue ballast - that is Brightstar - JUNK. they shut off in high vibration. Nice light but when you need it most in a tought section of a night race and it shuts off........

The best 35watt automotive HID is Osram.

fwm416ex
03-28-2006, 05:35 PM
These are baja designs hid dune,desert lights.These thing will take down a jumbo jet five miles high!!!

Abrannan19
03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
yeah...im not trying to bash, but they really serve a purpose but they are freakin ugly like some BUG EYES..kinda like saddle bags on a harely or any bike they are great for storage but the absoluty horrible looking on most bike excluding a few..JMO

DezSled
03-28-2006, 09:25 PM
That is the stuff that makes you a better rider. Fashion minded people need not apply. Those lights will scorch the skin off a snake a mile away, if your fast this is what you get. Look at what the pros are using, you see it above in the pic. My triple halogens are like a mag lite compared to them.

Abrannan19
03-29-2006, 04:05 PM
but...look at all the assembly equipment you got to run these lights..and people are worried about an 06 having an kick start to save weight?? fashion laid aside..how many people running GNCC have these lights..

XCRACER26
03-29-2006, 05:23 PM
but just think about what you just said,"how may people do you see running them in the GNCC" how dark is it when there racing GNCC, Hmmm.:huh

copter
03-29-2006, 09:06 PM
I just bought them for the dunes and they should work just fine..

DirtDevilBT
03-31-2006, 11:51 AM
They should do just fine Copter. Thanks for the thread. Get us some pics when you head to the dunes next trip.:D

bwamos
03-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Would this HID setup be brighter than Trail
Tech's torch light kit? I Dont like the look of the lights on the bars, but I like the directional light for the Dune Trail rides. If this HID setup was as bright or brighter, I would probably go that route just for the cleaner look.

Trailtech, Have you ever considered creating a kit to greatly improve visibility that will also fit in the stock housing?

Well, they kind of have.. in a way using the fullbore hood.
http://www.trailtech.net/images/honda/trx450/trx450r_fullbore-hood.jpg

DirtDevilBT
04-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey TT, when is the next demo or show you are attending in the Los Angeles area? I'd like to take a look at what you offer first hand.

Chango
04-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by fwm416ex
These are baja designs hid dune,desert lights.These thing will take down a jumbo jet five miles high!!! What does that system cost? I have the trailtechs but i need something like this so i can see @ 80mph.