PDA

View Full Version : Cody's MX TRX90 ATVriders.com Project is underway!

Pages : [1] 2

Pappy
03-15-2006, 09:05 PM
After much thought, many phone calls and never ending research, we will be building Cody a one off TRX90 for MX. There are a few details that I can not reveal yet, but it will be trick:cool:

The new engine was ordered tonight, and the suspension should be finalized tomorrow. Tear down will begin monday and I will keep this thread updated as the progress continues.

I will say that this will be a neat project, with some not so common modifactions and some products that will be very new to the market. He will be using a maual clutch on this quad to get him prepped for a full size hybrid for next season.

So far we have support for the build from the following...

Elka Suspension
Lonestar racing
C&D Racing
Robbs Racing
Burgard Cycle
APH Mini's

We will be adding more as teh project comes together, and I would like to thank everyone who is onboard for this!

03-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Make it blue with nacs graphics, that would be sick!

Pappy
03-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Sorry, nacs does not support us so we wont be advertising for them:p

It will be red and white when completed

insaneracin2003
03-15-2006, 09:15 PM
ya know pappy,this thread is going to be worthless without pics:grr: so ya better post pics of progress:macho

Pappy
03-15-2006, 09:17 PM
As we actually begin work i will update with pics:p

Aceman
03-15-2006, 09:27 PM
When doesn't Pappy post pics of everything he does??? I don't think you have anything to worry about!!:D

user101
03-15-2006, 09:27 PM
please keep us posted on this kickazz 90.

Ralph
03-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Great, were gonna have another kid beating my butt at the group rides:o

antman
03-15-2006, 09:29 PM
you should get some atvriders.com graphix made!:D

LuckyOxygen
03-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Kinda off subject, but what kind of hybrid will you be running next year? Did you see Thomas Browns' JB 250f with 90 mod chassis? Anyways, good luck with the project!

Mxjunkie
03-15-2006, 09:41 PM
gooo cody :cool:

Eddiesanders250
03-15-2006, 10:43 PM
I wanna see it finished

Pappy
03-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by LuckyOxygen
Kinda off subject, but what kind of hybrid will you be running next year? Did you see Thomas Browns' JB 250f with 90 mod chassis? Anyways, good luck with the project!

we may indeed build a full hybrid next year, this build will be something anyone with a 90 and a modest budget can do themselves!

haydug
03-16-2006, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by LuckyOxygen

You got any pics of that bike? I am wanting to start on one of these myself. I have an electric start WR 250F bottom end that I need to rebuild. Then, start looking for a donar chassis.

Pappy
03-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by haydug
You got any pics of that bike? I am wanting to start on one of these myself. I have an electric start WR 250F bottom end that I need to rebuild. Then, start looking for a donar chassis.

i tried calling you about the crf engine you pm'd me about, i reckon we just missed each other. keep an eye out for me, im still interested

cb450r
03-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Sounds very cool Pappy, Keep us posted and make sure Cody does most of the wrench turning:D

TheFontMaster
03-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Sounds like another great project. I can't wait to see it start comming together.

QuadJunkies
03-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Cant wait to see the project mini!! :macho

Dumontexrider
03-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Make sure to get a screamin loud pipe to piss off a certain neighbor...:devil:

Good luck bra

Pappy
03-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Dumontexrider
Make sure to get a screamin loud pipe to piss off a certain neighbor...:devil:

Good luck bra

Robb's racing will be handling the engine and exhaust, and to keep things on time he shipped a set of his dual arms and swing arm today.

Lonestar is producing the 300ex axle and 450r components for the rear end,Billet LSR front hubs and Antifade. and Elka was my first email of the day wanting to know the specs for the shocks.

Three One Seven Graphics has come forward to offer Cody custom graphics.

Looks like things are happening quick.

JRP
03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
man pappy, this thing is gonna be kick *** man. I bet cody is gonna be ripping it up!:cool: :devil:

Nick110
03-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Are you still using the 90cc 4 stroke engine or putting like a cr85 in there?

Pappy
03-16-2006, 02:02 PM
the engine will be trx90 based

LuckyOxygen
03-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by haydug

I dont know if this is advertising or w/e, or if Im not supposed to post this but you can find it here http://www.jbatvracing.com/mod.php

trick450r
03-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
the engine will be trx90 based

if your getting the robbs racing 124 motor, its fast as hell...i've watched robbie racing it.....

TheFontMaster
03-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Robb's racing will be handling the engine and exhaust, and to keep things on time he shipped a set of his dual arms and swing arm today.

Lonestar is producing the 300ex axle and 450r components for the rear end,Billet LSR front hubs and Antifade. and Elka was my first email of the day wanting to know the specs for the shocks.

Three One Seven Graphics has come forward to offer Cody custom graphics.

Looks like things are happening quick.

I was wondering if there was going to be some kind of dual A-arm front set up going on this one.:macho

trick450r
03-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I was wondering if there was going to be some kind of dual A-arm front set up going on this one.:macho

i know robb runs works black widow shocks on robbies 90...with elkas it should be unbelievable...

Nick110
03-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Got any pics yet Pappy.:D

AtvMxRider
03-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Pics:macho

Quad Boy 660r
03-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Sounds good. I now have a question, doesn't have to be about your son's bike if you do not want to reveal anything.

How much horsepower does a built TRX 90 (or something similar) make? I know HP isn't everything, but I have seen some 90s with what appears to have a lot of work in them. Thanks. Good Luck.

watts16
03-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Pics:macho

dang I saw the attached image thing. And thought he started posting some.:chinese:

Pappy
03-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Quad Boy 660r
Sounds good. I now have a question, doesn't have to be about your son's bike if you do not want to reveal anything.

How much horsepower does a built TRX 90 (or something similar) make? I know HP isn't everything, but I have seen some 90s with what appears to have a lot of work in them. Thanks. Good Luck.

a trx90 with typical mods and a 11-1 piston and cam will make roughly 7 hp at the rear wheels.

the set up we will be running will make 15 or so

wvspeedfreak
03-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Cool.I can't wait to see this beast :)

JOEX
03-16-2006, 07:44 PM
a trx90 with typical mods and a 11-1 piston and cam will make roughly 7 hp at the rear wheels.

the set up we will be running will make 15 or so
:eek: :cool:

This will be a great resource for those with kids getting serious about racing. Looking forward to the progress of this project:)

Will you be able to post the estimated cost of each mod for the regular consumer?

Pappy
03-16-2006, 07:48 PM
I will detail each part and include retail pricing. and trust me, it is just as expensive to build a mini as it is to build a full size quad.

JOEX
03-16-2006, 07:51 PM
I will detail each part and include retail pricing. and trust me, it is just as expensive to build a mini as it is to build a full size quad.
I belive it! Awhile ago I was shopping around for an a-arm for a trx90, a single 90 a-arm was more than four 400ex's:eek2:

Pappy
03-16-2006, 07:55 PM
I know the labor and material used is the same, so I really did not expect a big price difference. I dropped $3k alone today, and have not even calculated my own labor or material cost:p

coryatver
03-16-2006, 07:57 PM
15 hp is about how much a 300ex has:eek2:

Pappy
03-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
15 hp is about how much a 300ex has:eek2:

and it will weigh less:D

we choose robbs design for its reliability and proven performance. if he sends his son out to every GNC and it works well, then thats proven for me. the entire set up with new arms and swing arm will weigh slightly more then his stock 90 does now. with a Ti axle it will weigh 5 lbs less:scary: But we wont be running a Ti axle:p

watts16
03-16-2006, 08:12 PM
and it will weigh less:D

we choose robbs design for its reliability and proven performance. if he sends his son out to every GNC and it works well, then thats proven for me. the entire set up with new arms and swing arm will weigh slightly more then his stock 90 does now. with a Ti axle it will weigh 5 lbs less:scary: But we wont be running a Ti axle:p

So does he know about the new quad or is it a surprise?:eek2:

Pappy
03-16-2006, 08:12 PM
he is fully tuned in to what we are doing:p

watts16
03-16-2006, 08:26 PM

Ok because that would be one hell of a surprise for himto walk into your shop and see that.

Pappy
03-16-2006, 08:29 PM
i couldnt keep it from him:p heck i like giving them christmas presents early:chinese:

and he is quite active in the shop, if he isnt dodging me asking him to go fetch me something, he is stealing my tools to rip apart something he shouldnt be ripping apart:scary:

Pappy
03-16-2006, 08:33 PM
here is a pic of the front end we will be running, ofcourse ours will be a different color:p

Pappy
03-16-2006, 08:36 PM
and a shot that shows some of the rear end also.

we will be contacting Rath Racing tomorrow to see if i can squeeze daryl for a set of his new nerfs and bumper:p

BlasterEaten250
03-17-2006, 02:42 PM
that is a sweet trx90:cool:

Mean250r
03-17-2006, 03:08 PM
here is a pic of the front end we will be running, ofcourse ours will be a different color:p

for a second i thought that was a 450 lol :eek2:

willow2679
03-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I thought it too :eek:
Itīs an awsome quad!
You can put part of the Z bikes too for the motor is not the same?
and there are lots of it for them

03-17-2006, 04:10 PM
thats a 90?? lol

JRP
03-17-2006, 04:17 PM
yea its a 90. Look at the engine.:macho that thing looks sweet as anything.

zeppelin
03-17-2006, 04:21 PM
But we wont be running a Ti axle:p papy if i were you man i would reconsider. maybe reuse some of the parts from the bike he has now to save money or something but do you relize how much of a benifit the ti axle is, first your reducing weight, but it is also unsprung weight. with dirt bikes i know as a rule of thumb they say if you can get rid of 1 pound of unspung wheight the bike will feel 5 pounds lighter. not only that but less unsprung whieght helps handleing, and it also frees up extra hp's and lets it rev quicker from less rotational mass. now i dont know how much the axle is but if it is any where near you price range i would definetly consider it.

Pappy
03-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Its not the money for the Ti axle, I want this to be something anyone could do within a reasonable budget. I can agree with everything you said, and if we were going to race this quad in teh GNC or be really serious about racing, my man Dan at Lonestar would be fabricating a full set of Ti arms, swing arm and axle....which may be in the works simply because Dan has the technology, and he likes crazy chit:devil: (Dan, you build what ever you'd like and we will pound it...just keep the bill there:D )

400exc
03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
maybe it will beat your when your done pappy?! lol just kiddin, but yea you gotta show us some pics while the build-up is going on

Pappy
03-17-2006, 05:20 PM
hell he beats me now:ermm:

400exc
03-17-2006, 05:32 PM
well......... then i guess you need a faster quad, or instead of spending money on him, spend it on you! lol j/k but yea i hope the build all goes well

Quad Boy 660r
03-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Cool. When is he going to move up to a big bike? What will it be?

Pappy
03-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Just a small update.

When I sat down to figure out what we would be doing for an engine, we had thought of using a donor engine from a pitbike seeing they are built fairly stout and some of them have decent parts we could use to save money.

This weekend, I had the oppertunity to buy a 125cc pitbike and within an hour we had the engines swapped:huh you read that right...

As it sits in this picture, codys riding on a 125cc, 24mm carbed kickstart manual clutch ride:D

For the most part, its a gravy swap.....however. we will need to lengthen the exhaust by 1/2 inch so the mounts work, and I will have to extend the kick starter out to clear the frame and trim the fender like they do on the hybrid fullsize quads, although not as much I believe.

The quad responded outstandingly to this engine and clutch, infact a rider on a 300ex could not shake cody on the MX track!

Now that I have it installed, I can use it as a guide to work the chassis on the quad we are building which prompted this thread. It should make for a cool project and yet another learning expierence

QuadJunkies
03-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Codys Def. ready for a bigger motor, I know sis is REALLY lovng the added power in hers!!

Thats GREAT!! :macho

Pappy
03-19-2006, 05:58 PM
The reason I wanted to use a pitbike as a donor was simplicity. Lets face it, to have a 90 engine done to a 125 is easily $400 to $1200 depending on what set up and how much work you can not do yourself. Since we are not building this to race any National races, the old hot rodder can come out and we can be inventive to build a sweet little ride.

We used the following off the pitbike:

Manual Clutch and cable (all fit perfectly)

125cc engine

Front master cylinder for the upcoming hydraulic brakes along with the rear master cylinder for the rear brakes

24mm carb with filter (although I can use the stock airbox from the TRX90)

The pitbike frame and chassis was sold back to the vendor so my investment was $1000. A new engine can run from $650 to $1000, but using the other parts as described will help control the little pieces that always cost more then you think.

We can now sell off the stock engine to offset costs even more, along with the 24mm carb and such from the TRX90 engine.

Pappy
03-19-2006, 06:02 PM
After a few short rides to see what would fall off:p Cody headed to the MX track and POUNDED this thing. It would pull the wheels as he clutched it coming out of corners, revved faster and flat hauled the mail in 3rd and 4th gear. Gearing is another area where we know we can make this combo give us more performance, 1st and second gear are all but useless the way its geared for the 90 engine.

TheFontMaster
03-19-2006, 06:08 PM
:cool: I can't wait to see that lil beast in action.

Pappy
03-19-2006, 06:12 PM
I kept the exhaust off the pitbike also. The headpipe bends is wrong, but it has a shorty silencer and several of the riders there (pitbike riders) told me that it is a very good silencer and really wakes up this engine. So I will be doing some investigating and may indeed use it along with the Big Gun headpipe to create a suedo TC pipe:p (I cant believe how close in looks it is to a TC)

The one double on this track is right out of a corner, and on saturday he would have to really carry speed out fo the corner to clear it. With the new engine, a slight bump of the clutch would send the tires throwing roost, the revs climbed quick and he could use the new power to jump clean and land smoothly on the downside. before it was a wide open run to carry the needed speed to clear it.

Rip_Tear
03-19-2006, 06:12 PM
So any chance you'll tell us what engine it was? The 125cc that is? I assume it must be a 4 stroke aswell? Sounds good so far.

Pappy
03-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Yep it is just the stock 125cc engine from the Extreme pit bike.

I watched them in action saturday night and was very impressed. Those guys flat "Gagged" them engines and they just kept running harder and harder:p

They do offer pistons, cams etc, along with cdi boxes etc. We switched over all the pitbikes electronics and have no trx90 wiring on it at all.

Ruby Soho
03-19-2006, 06:43 PM
take some more pictures!

that thing is badass

Pappy
03-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
take some more pictures!

that thing is badass

I will do a step by step when I do his actual build. Today was a 1 hour thrashfest to get it in so he could ride today.

Mxjunkie
03-19-2006, 06:53 PM
and a shot that shows some of the rear end also.

we will be contacting Rath Racing tomorrow to see if i can squeeze daryl for a set of his new nerfs and bumper:p

you HAVE to put them plastics on it that looks absolutely badass!

Rootar
03-19-2006, 09:33 PM
hey Pappy if your interested in another one of those Extreme motors they have a BRand NEw 04 or 05 125 pit bike jsut like that for 1250 :eek2: and yea those thing are quick i rode one out at the track last year and i was impressed if you want ill give ya Damon's number and you can call about it;) you know always good to have a spare bike aint that right cody?:D lol

Johnny & Monica
03-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Do you think this extreme 125 motor is the same as whats in the new extreme 125 quad this year ? We got a extreme 107 we was going to use in a trx90 last year but the rules wont allow it to race with but the manual clutch would have be awesome . Waiting on picturesof your project you posting here or mini forum ?

Ralph
03-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica
Do you think this extreme 125 motor is the same as whats in the new extreme 125 quad this year ? We got a extreme 107 we was going to use in a trx90 last year but the rules wont allow it to race with

That would suck, break out the rule book Kenny.

Pappy
03-19-2006, 10:37 PM
I know we can not race it in the GNCC's, thats not our plan.

The vendor was chatting Extreme sales pitches left and right, he was even kind enough to give me a brochure on the "New" secret quad due out:ermm: I think I burst his bubble when I told him all about it before ever accepting the brochure:p

I can not say if it is the same, but if it is the engine will be plenty peppy, ofcourse building a mini quad off of a modified bike chassis will not have us too eager to buy one:ermm:

Johnny & Monica
03-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Yes Ia. follows atva an gncc rules pretty much for use cant wait for you to post pictures of project ,

Off topic did you ever see if you had an more kasea wheels you got get ringed an out to me ? front rear both anything gets me closer 2 weeks left :D

Pappy
03-19-2006, 10:58 PM
all i have is the polaris set, and no word or idea when my order will be in:( i need a set for the new quad myself

haydug
03-20-2006, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
hey Pappy if your interested in another one of those Extreme motors they have a BRand NEw 04 or 05 125 pit bike jsut like that for 1250 :eek2: and yea those thing are quick i rode one out at the track last year and i was impressed if you want ill give ya Damon's number and you can call about it;) you know always good to have a spare bike aint that right cody?:D lol

Not to hijact the thread, but pappy has me drooling now! If he doesn't want that bike, let me know by pm please. :D

wanta450
03-20-2006, 06:16 AM
so pappy it looks loike you put that 125 in the gncc bike is that right and are you using that bike just converting it to mx or is it a completly new trx90:eek2:

Pappy
03-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by wanta450
so pappy it looks loike you put that 125 in the gncc bike is that right and are you using that bike just converting it to mx or is it a completly new trx90:eek2:

Now that I have it installed, I can use it as a guide to work the chassis on the quad we are building which prompted this thread. It should make for a cool project and yet another learning expierence

I can change these engines in less then 30 minutes, we installed the pitbike engine to see if it would work and now I can use it to help me next week when I start on his MX chassis as far as measurements go etc. Nothing like having one beside you when you need to know what goes where or to see what needs improving etc.

CTmxyfz
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
take that 125 motor and make it even bigger.:scary:

Pappy
03-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by CTmxyfz
take that 125 motor and make it even bigger.:scary:

Already in the works:chinese:

Worked out the kickstart lever tonight, it works but he will have to get used to it being near his leg. I think with riding boots on he will not notice it much, but with work boots on he can feel it where the top of his boot ends.

The exhaust was an easy fix, I just drilled a new hole in the exhaust mount of the frame.

Pappy
03-20-2006, 03:04 PM
watching him ride off using the clutch is just too cool:p

Pappy
03-20-2006, 03:07 PM
The torque from the larger displacement and the benefit of not loosing the power from teh automatic tranny is really showing itself, before the engine was being worked all teh time, now it sounds like he is just riding without having to be hard on the gas to get it to pull.

Pappy
03-20-2006, 03:09 PM
He finally stalled it, which I think goes to show how well the whole combo works. One stall out of a ton of starts, corners, berms and manuvering to get back for a quick word from me is pretty good.

I grabbed a shot of him kick starting his new combo:p

SRH
03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
i been thinking u should do this for ages, the xtreme motors are fast, its a good choice,guy cooper...whatever he has done to his motor it fla tout hauls ***, get a pic of the engine in there

03-20-2006, 04:25 PM
got any close ups of the sides right and left

Pappy
03-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i been thinking u should do this for ages,

yes, but up to this point we were concerned about being legal for AMA/ATVA competition.

i will get full pics when the build starts...this was merely a test:D

BlasterEaten250
03-20-2006, 07:51 PM
sweet, I want to ride that thing:p

Pappy
03-20-2006, 09:32 PM
The rear caliper wasnt cheap:p $211 shipped for a new one but its a must have.

Spindles arrived and are now coated and ready, wheels and tires were ordered from C&D along withe the SS brake lines..oops forgot to order a rear:p

fastrider450r
03-21-2006, 09:21 AM
couldnt you run 90cc mod or not?

Evana13
03-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by fastrider450r
couldnt you run 90cc mod or not?

NO 4 BANGERS CAN'T RUN 90 MOD AND 90 MODS ARE MUCH BETTER QUADS

Pappy
03-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Evana13
NO 4 BANGERS CAN'T RUN 90 MOD AND 90 MODS ARE MUCH BETTER QUADS

You may need to redefine "better". Ive seen the 90 mod class and some of them are junk.

Evana13
03-21-2006, 09:37 AM
SRRY I MENT ONE THAR HETRICK/JB MAKES NOY ONE OF THE HOME MADE ONES THIS IS WHAT I MEAN

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/evana4x/seale_mod90_3.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/evana4x/seale_mod90_1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/evana4x/ohl_90mod_main.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/evana4x/hetrick_mod90_main.jpg

Pappy
03-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Yep, and the $16,000 price tag that goes along with them:p

Evana13
03-21-2006, 09:59 AM
LMAO IF THEY DIDN'T COST THAT MUCH EVERYBODY WOULD HAVE ONE. MY FRIEND HAS ONE AND HE CAN RUN CIRCLES AROUND ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING HE EVEN RACES AGAINST 450S AND BEATS THEM.

Pappy
03-21-2006, 10:23 AM
the true hybrids as pictured are the way to go for the smaller sized riders if you can afford them, i do not like the mini engines in a fullsized chassis, and most of the kids riding them are barely in control especially when something goes wrong.

as stated, we are building this project for fun, not to race any particuliar series etc. if i wanted a $16000 hybrid, id have one here this week.

Bush0102
03-21-2006, 11:14 AM
pappy i'm curious about the drivetrain. I may have skipped it in earlier posts but i dunno. Is the trx90 shaft driven in stock form? If so, what modifications have you made in that department?

Pappy
03-21-2006, 11:35 AM
the trx90 is chain driven. we are running a did 428 o-ring chain

Pappy
03-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Robb's Racing Arms and Swing arm arrived today!

Now we are discussing colors:p

Spindles arrived thanks to Lonestar R hooking us up, and I molycoated them completely for a works look.

knighttime
03-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Robb's Racing Arms and Swing arm arrived today!

Now we are discussing colors:p

Spindles arrived thanks to Lonestar R hooking us up, and I molycoated them completely for a works look.

whats molycoat?

it sure looks good:macho

AtvMxRider
03-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
whats molycoat?

Looks like black to me:blah:

Pappy
03-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Looks like black to me:blah:

haha yes it is

Mike, its the same finish that is on a Glock. I use it for a ton of parts these days

Pappy
03-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Extended swing arm is now ready for a carrier

Pappy
03-21-2006, 08:40 PM
New Dual arm set up is coated and awaiting shocks

Pappy
03-21-2006, 08:43 PM
All bracketry for the new mounts are ready

yamablaster24
03-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Man pappy i wish you would stop this kid is gonna come into the pros when hes 17-18 years old making everyone else look like there standing still! :eek2:

Pappy
03-21-2006, 08:56 PM
just having fun:p no ambition to do anything else

insaneracin2003
03-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
Man pappy i wish you would stop this kid is gonna come into the pros when hes 17-18 years old making everyone else look like there standing still! :eek2:
YEAH,with a blinging ride also :macho

jcv400ex
03-22-2006, 10:19 AM
I might have missed it, but this project is for fun only, correct? Your still going to have to build a 90 for GNCC races and GNC's? I don't think this would be legal in any of the AMA classes, correct?

Pappy
03-22-2006, 02:51 PM
jcv....no clue on ama sanctioned races, but im sure we could find a flat track or two, maybe even a local mx race where restrictions are not so limiting. if he wants to race, ill build something thatw ill follow every rule to the letter as i did with his gncc quad. asimple engine change and he is back in business for any GNC

cody needs more power and suspension just to enjoy riding anymore. he can ride his gncc 90 now to the point he wastes the suspension and rolls his eyes when he is wide open:p i needed something for him to give him some fun back in the riding side of things. we are not planning on racing any gncc's that we know of this season due to my health and codys schedule, so the time was right to have a fun project that would not break the bank as it were.

i think ive shot the break the bank thing in the foot tho, but its all good:p you would have to watch him ride to fully understand how bad he needs a bit more quad under him, but he is still so damn short that anything else would be just a tad too big for him to handle properly.

jcv400ex
03-23-2006, 05:59 AM
I can see how a 90 would be underpowered for him. I didn't know you had another 90 for him to run. I know how hard it is for me not racing, figured the boy has been bitten by the bug, and he's gonna want to race. :devil:

I thought you was doing better healthwise????:confused:

Pappy
03-23-2006, 06:47 AM
I am as far as the illness that put me down, but it did some damage to me overall. i cant hardly walk a straight line, i have no ballance, my concentration level is shot, my mood is up and down worse then a chick with a visit from aunt rose....

doc says to let time dictate exactly what will be permanent, i reckon the fever did some damage:(

Lurch
03-23-2006, 07:52 AM
What kind of illness did you have Pappy?

JDiablo
03-23-2006, 07:57 AM
More pix!!!!

jcv400ex
03-23-2006, 08:01 AM
I am as far as the illness that put me down, but it did some damage to me overall. i cant hardly walk a straight line, i have no ballance, my concentration level is shot, my mood is up and down worse then a chick with a visit from aunt rose....

doc says to let time dictate exactly what will be permanent, i reckon the fever did some damage:(

Give it sometime, us old guys can bounce back from a illness as quick as we use to! Might be a way to get some free green smocks too! :eek2:

Pappy
03-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Lurch
What kind of illness did you have Pappy?

the classified it as "Dismented Hystoplasmosis":eek2:

since that time, i am almost convinced i had the bird flu....if you search that name you will see it is the exact same as the bird flu and IMO i think they tried to keep it hush hush.

i ran a fever over 104, spiked to 107 for several days and my liver and kidneys shut down. if my family had not gotton forceful and insisted i be transfered to a better facilty, id have been on a slap inside of 36 hours:ermm:

i have been avoiding people in large crowds, and in enclosed areas like they have aids. just following docs orders.

not sure if greene smockes would help, but the stuff they had me on was pretty good:p

knighttime
03-23-2006, 10:17 AM

not sure if greene smockes would help, but the stuff they had me on was pretty good:p

cant hurt to try :bandit:

Lurch
03-23-2006, 11:24 AM

since that time, i am almost convinced i had the bird flu....if you search that name you will see it is the exact same as the bird flu and IMO i think they tried to keep it hush hush.

i ran a fever over 104, spiked to 107 for several days and my liver and kidneys shut down. if my family had not gotton forceful and insisted i be transfered to a better facilty, id have been on a slap inside of 36 hours:ermm:

i have been avoiding people in large crowds, and in enclosed areas like they have aids. just following docs orders.

Good Lord! Good to see you're on the road to recovery.

Pappy
03-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Lurch
Good Lord! Good to see you're on the road to recovery.

amen..everytime i start feeling down i read the thread about it:p

Pappys dying thread (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173750&perpage=20&highlight=kidneys&pagenumber=1)

Pappy
03-24-2006, 05:51 PM
More parts arrived,

Burgard 300ex billet dual row carrier fit the swing arm like a champ

Pappy
03-24-2006, 05:53 PM
LSR rear hubs ....although I think I ordered fronts, these will be put to good use. I do think they need a bit of bling tho:p

Pappy
03-24-2006, 05:54 PM
One set of Burgard reinforced rims with snow hogs ready to chew some dirt

TheFontMaster
03-24-2006, 06:50 PM
LSR rear hubs ....although I think I ordered fronts, these will be put to good use. I do think they need a bit of bling tho:p

How would those look if you used a trans color over top of them. I'm not too shure how powercoat works, but I think they would look really trick if you didn't use a base color, and just went right to the trans color coat. So that some of the billet still shows through.

Pappy
03-24-2006, 07:06 PM
How would those look if you used a trans color over top of them. I'm not too shure how powercoat works, but I think they would look really trick if you didn't use a base color, and just went right to the trans color coat. So that some of the billet still shows through.

actually, translucents were designed to be shot over something like that. when we shoot it over a chrome basecoat, its mimicking a stainless/aluminum finish so it gives a subcoat for reflectivity.

all small parts and frame will be done in new sparkle red.

Pappy
03-25-2006, 11:50 AM
rear hubs now powder coated to fit the scheme we are going with

Pappy
03-25-2006, 11:55 AM
other then final clean up and reinstallation of the bearings, fronts are ready

Pappy
03-25-2006, 11:56 AM
The caliper parts totaled $211, but I found the brake mount new on ebay for $1:p

Pappy
03-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Ace wrench KH426 ripped down the donor 90 tonight

Pappy
03-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Now she will head off to be stripped

Pappy
03-27-2006, 04:06 PM
New Elka's arrived tonight

tp300ex
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
omg thats going to be a sick fourwheeler keep posten pics i love lookin at them!

Pappy
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
it might get done quicker of cody had a note pad:huh

DeerNuts
03-27-2006, 05:07 PM
The caliper parts totaled $211, but I found the brake mount new on ebay for $1:p

Dam Pappy that looks good enough to eat

:cool: :macho

tp300ex
03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
lol i do that to!
but its lookin good cant wait to see wat it looks like in the end:devil:

Rip_Tear
03-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I think Pappy will be holding us back as long as he can... He likes to get us drooling a lot before we see too much!

What kind of time are you seeing for the end product Pappy?

Pappy
03-27-2006, 05:54 PM
well...im waiting on the axle, i still need rotors, frame is at the strippers, i reckon new fenders, some welding on the frame along with the oil cooler mount....rims and tires are ordered....i gotta call rob to find out what bars robbie has on his quad and order them....

i reckon if everything goes right, 2 weeks or less and she will be ripping up dirt

fastrider450r
03-28-2006, 01:30 PM
looks real nice pappy, keep up the good work

Rico400
03-28-2006, 01:43 PM
cant wait to see the finished product :)

QuadJunkies
03-28-2006, 11:55 PM
well...im waiting on the axle, i still need rotors, frame is at the strippers, i reckon new fenders, some welding on the frame along with the oil cooler mount....rims and tires are ordered....i gotta call rob to find out what bars robbie has on his quad and order them....

i reckon if everything goes right, 2 weeks or less and she will be ripping up dirt

did you have any luck finding the Pro Armor?? I know I sure didnt !:scary:
Thats gonna be a hot quad whens its done :devil:

JDiablo
03-29-2006, 07:58 AM
More pix!!

Pappy
03-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
did you have any luck finding the Pro Armor?? I know I sure didnt !:scary:
Thats gonna be a hot quad whens its done :devil:

yeah, C&D had some they could get thru one of thier suppliers so they are getting us rolling. Im still waiting on 5 bumpers that are BO from PA:(

QuadJunkies
03-30-2006, 12:40 AM
yeah, C&D had some they could get thru one of thier suppliers so they are getting us rolling. Im still waiting on 5 bumpers that are BO from PA:( Ok, just ckeckin cuase I got a call from someone who might have have a set if ya needed them ;)

Pappy
03-30-2006, 12:44 AM
Rear caliper arrived tonight....to my dismay:ermm:

In the past, when I ordered a rear caliper all i recieved was teh actual caliper housing and none of the internals. So when i ordered this 450r caliper i ordered every part to build the caliper as my luck would have it, the caliper was sent complete:scary:

oh well, $100 worth of spare parts here now:p

Rootar
03-30-2006, 05:50 AM
it might get done quicker of cody had a note pad:huh

LMAO my dad was like "dont order that bumper if you dont have the money" and i thoguht i didnt but i checked my paypal and i had it that night lol btw i need my bill papster

Pappy
04-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Frame is back from stripping and is now coated

Pappy
04-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Its coated in New Sparkle Red, fully gusseted and we begin reassembly tonight!

Pappy
04-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Rear shock mount was gusseted in anticipation of some big air

JRP
04-06-2006, 04:26 PM
looks awsome pappy.

Yfz450dan
04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
ITs going to look great when its done!:eek2:

JDiablo
04-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Bunch of slow guys i see,dont no how to throw a mini toghter,hurry up and get more pix.!:devil:

WhiteYFZ
04-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by JDiablo
hurry up and get more pix.!:devil:

Mxjunkie
04-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Now lots and lots of chrome :devil:

Pappy
04-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Front suspension is being installed. There is a little more to this set up then just bolting it on

Pappy
04-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Last night, the biggest issue was what to do about the rear master-cylinder......because someone forgot to design and build the bracketry before he powdercoated the frame:chinese:

Its all good, fabricated, tested and pc'd

Pappy
04-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Finding a good spot to locate the rezzy's will be fun

Pappy
04-07-2006, 09:54 AM
The rear end went right on, the new 450R sprocket hub is now pressed on the Lonestar 300ex axle. All I need is a brake plate

insaneracin2003
04-07-2006, 10:00 AM
looking good Pappy,Codeman getting excited yet??

Evana13
04-07-2006, 11:24 AM
what color sceme (sp?) are you going with pappy. looks like candy red and black

Rip_Tear
04-07-2006, 11:26 AM
looks good, I was wondering how that dual a-arm's went on the 90. How wide is this 90 going to be?

JDiablo
04-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Nice progress so far !! :devil:

Pappy
04-07-2006, 12:24 PM
White plastic, New Sparkle red and black

he wants it done...lol

It should be 48 inches wide with the 4-1 rims

Joe400ex
04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
damn i would love to ride it. Pull wheelies for days

Evana13
04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
can't wait. my dad is really thinking about getting a honda from robb after seeing them in georgia but the key word is thinking

after looking at the last pic you posted of the rear shock good luck ajusting the rebound looks like its going to be a little tricky

Pappy
04-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Adjusting the rear rebound is very simply and only requires a small flat blade screwdriver. It is very easy to get too.

Pappy
04-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Some more wrenching this evening inbetween T-storms:scary:

Pappy
04-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Front brake pads and handlebars is all thats needed to move forward....some of which I can get tomorrow

Pappy
04-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Rear end is buttoned up sans a brake line

Pappy
04-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Mounting the rezzys wasnt too bad and they should be well out of the way.

Ruby Soho
04-07-2006, 07:52 PM
looks like its commin along great!

tar
04-08-2006, 09:12 PM
what do those a-arms go to?

Mxjunkie
04-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Cody might just put a whoopin on my butt at breeze wood with that :eek2:

Pappy
04-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by tar
what do those a-arms go to?

They go to a TRX90 ....lol

Yfz450dan
04-09-2006, 07:22 AM
More Pics!!I Have to see how it will turn out!!!:eek2: :eek2:

Pappy
04-09-2006, 07:27 AM
I will run the brake lines and mount the front calipers today, but we can not go much further until the middle of next week when the remainder of the parts arrive.

450robot
04-09-2006, 08:04 AM
i love how you pc'ed the rear caliper pappy! that stock color, with the red surrounding it, just makes it pop!

well, the whole bike POPs or that fact! keep up the awsome work!

Pappy
04-10-2006, 06:34 PM
It is now a roller.

Thursday night I will install the engine and by saturday she should be throwing dirt

Pappy
04-10-2006, 06:35 PM
I think I am more excited then Cody:p

450r51
04-10-2006, 06:42 PM
looking good, i bet he cant wait to ride it

cutierider
04-10-2006, 07:08 PM
if its like the rest of the builds on this site it should be a good one.

insaneracin2003
04-10-2006, 07:15 PM
is that turf tamers on the rear?should hook-up pretty good.

TheFontMaster
04-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Will the motor be able to turn those rear tires good enough?

Pappy
04-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Will the motor be able to turn those rear tires good enough?

yep...they are the same size as we have been running for 2 years!

Pappy
04-10-2006, 07:30 PM
IMO...the smaller snow hog tires transfer too much to the quad and rider. I will give up some rotating mass for a smoother ride and softer landing on jumps

TWISTED
04-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Will it be done in time for Breezewood?

Pappy
04-10-2006, 07:34 PM
And to our benefit, the 18x9x8 turfs are actually a touch lighter then the Maxxis tires we run for XC

Pappy
04-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by TWISTED
Will it be done in time for Breezewood?

LOL..we plan on breaking it in and setting it up this sunday at breezewood:p

TWISTED
04-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Plenty of pics please. Oh, don't forget the rice stuff either.... Looks like I'll be the only one from my crew coming.

exboy
04-11-2006, 06:35 AM
How hard is it to get him to do his homework with a new yfz and a almost complete project bike sittin around? :p

insaneracin2003
04-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by exboy
How hard is it to get him to do his homework with a new yfz and a almost complete project bike sittin around? :p
Codeman is another Breed,He does his homework ,then gets on the quad :macho ....seed of the Pappy:chinese:

Pappy
04-11-2006, 04:03 PM
He does him homework usually before anything else unless the time change has it getting dark early, then he has to get practice in.

Honor Roll every grade:cool: Student of the Year this year :D

MOFO
04-11-2006, 06:02 PM

Honor Roll every grade:cool: Student of the Year this year :D

IMO, that is his biggest accomplishment to date... this will take him farther than he can ever imagine.

I'm glad to see there will be a few kids out there with a good education to run things when we retire! ;)

Pappy
04-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks Eric....a liberal he will be NOT:p

New Robbs Racing pipe arrived. I ceramic coated the header.

04-12-2006, 06:22 PM

:macho

insaneracin2003
04-12-2006, 06:23 PM

New Robbs Racing pipe arrived. I ceramic coated the header.
nice header,i didnt know you guys did that.what does ceramic coating do? actually? just a bling factor?

tp300ex
04-12-2006, 06:45 PM
u are killing me pappy i want to see wat this bike will look like!:devil:

Pappy
04-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
nice header,i didnt know you guys did that.what does ceramic coating do? actually? just a bling factor?

It supposedly cuts down heat on the exterior of the exhaust (which I cant verify, and i've measured the before and after exhaust temps) and it helps keep the pipe from looking nasty:p

I only do a few headpipes a year. to do this properly you have to cure it at 750 degrees for an hour....none of my ovens go that high. The manufacturer states you can partially cure at 450, and the ehaust will bring on the final cure, which is what i have to do. Personally I have had good luck with it, but do not feel 100% comfortable doing 1/2 the cure for other folks.

Pappy
04-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by tp300ex
u are killing me pappy i want to see wat this bike will look like!:devil:

We are only waiting on a few small parts to button her up, it shouldnt be too much longer.

blakefoote
04-13-2006, 05:19 AM

were yall at GA MX national?...I saw a kid in the 90class that looked like Cody

Pappy
04-13-2006, 05:12 PM
No sir, we havent raced any nationals yet this season.

JRP
04-13-2006, 06:32 PM
how much longer pappy?!?:blah:

Pappy
04-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by JRP
how much longer pappy?!?:blah:

Tomorrow I think she should be close enough for a ride to set up the suspension. Engine is in, chain is one....I need some oil lines for the oil cooler:eek2:

Pappy
04-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Cody actually turned most of the wrenches during reassembly. He did good, with my brother Kevin keeping any eye on what he was doing etc. How did he do? It started first kick:cool:

Pappy
04-13-2006, 09:46 PM
The new Pipe actually gave us much needed clearence to the 125's oil dipstick.

Tomorrow i will have roost pics:devil:

insaneracin2003
04-13-2006, 10:10 PM
looking good pappy,you need to get some video of that boy riding:macho

Joe400ex
04-13-2006, 10:25 PM
How long is this gonna take when ur all done.

Joe400ex

Pappy
04-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Joe400ex
How long is this gonna take when ur all done.

Joe400ex

We started laying out what we wanted on the 16th of March, its now the 14th or April, she will be riden tomorrow. 1 month, start to finish. We still havent recieved the new fenders, but the old ones will work for now.

miller821
04-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Next thing you know, he'll be pulling backflips....

QuadJunkies
04-13-2006, 11:50 PM
SAWWEETT!! Cant wait to see that bad boy(or shouldI say. BAD BOYS:blah: ) in action!! How exciting!!! :cool: :macho

Def. get some video!!!

JRP
04-14-2006, 08:09 AM
SAWWEETT!! Cant wait to see that bad boy(or shouldI say. BAD BOYS:blah: ) in action!! How exciting!!! :cool: :macho

Def. get some video!!!

I second that.:cool:

Joe400ex
04-14-2006, 01:11 PM

Def. get some video!!!

I third it. And Pappy, I want to see u tear it up on it to. In a bikini.

Joe400ex

hardkoratvmxr
04-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I third it. And Pappy, I want to see u tear it up on it to. In a bikini.

Joe400ex

i second that but i could do without the bikini part lol

wvspeedfreak
04-14-2006, 01:43 PM
And Pappy, I want to see u tear it up on it to. In a bikini.

Joe400ex

I just lost my lunch.

Nick110
04-14-2006, 01:47 PM
I thought you were keeping the trx 90 engine but just sending it out to Robs Racing.

Pappy
04-14-2006, 02:51 PM
The break in ride went without problems!:p

Pappy
04-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Cody was a bit weired out when he first sat on it, the extra width is something he will have to get used to.

Pappy
04-14-2006, 02:54 PM
A few tweaks such as chain adjustment, bar setting etc had him feeling more confident after a few laps

Pappy
04-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Once he felt out the new suspension he just hammered it:cool:

Pappy
04-14-2006, 02:57 PM
The gearing still needs to be worked out, it has I am guessing a bit too much rear sprocket

Pappy
04-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I think it turned out pretty trick, and given a little seat time we will dial it in.

MOFO
04-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Damn! That is pretty nice... wide too!

I assume this is not his XC setup?

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:01 PM
I still have to fine tune all his brake levers,shifter and bar levers to suit him, if it is not the way he likes it he will hollar at me:D

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:04 PM
The quad checks in at 46 inches wide, and I could fudge that a bit but it is not needed. Basically I think its as wide as a 450R stock.

JRP
04-14-2006, 03:04 PM
damn cody is a lucky SOB. haha, thats an awsome 90 mx machine. Great Job Pappy.

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Cody's digging the new shocks, he smiled after clearing his big table and said "Dad, we can go back 9 or 10 more feet now":devil:

1fst400
04-14-2006, 03:11 PM
do they not run an engine skid on them little 90's?

EDIT- lol not a 90. my bad.

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Well folks, there you have it. From a tame 90cc TRX90, to a rippin' 125cc manual clutched full suspension lil' beast.

I will try and do a tally of what everything cost, not too mention the custom brackets needed etc. This is NOT a hard project, infact the engine swap is so easy a few builders will be loosing some sales over it im sure.

Robbs Racing, C&D Racing, Burgard Cycle, Lonestar Racing, Elka Suspension all kicked in service, assistance and technical advice not too mention getting us the right parts to help me get her on the ground and I would like to thank them and to tell everyone to please give these folks a crack at your business, they are class acts!

mxdad
04-14-2006, 03:19 PM
very sweet!!!

Mxjunkie
04-14-2006, 03:28 PM
He's going to smoke me on that thing :eek2:

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:42 PM
After a break to check for loose bolts, he was back on it!

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:44 PM
I widened his track but need to do more, as I see he picked up a stick:p

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:45 PM
With a MX set up, he started hangin' it out:D

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:46 PM
The extra weight did not seem to hamper him, but he said he could feel it.

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:47 PM
He is very satisfied with the build....and so far isnt too worried about air:huh

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Mr. Smooth comes in for a landing:p

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:50 PM
A picture showing the suspension getting the job done!

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Cody say's you cant even feel the landings, straight butter:p

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Ryan came out to see him wreck:eek: :D

Pappy
04-14-2006, 03:54 PM
The fun is just begining, I cant wait to see what he can do with that mini now:cool:

300exOH
04-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Looks like he's doing pretty well on it now. Very nice build. :devil:

BlasterEaten250
04-14-2006, 04:02 PM
that is definatly awesome. I love the color combo. Sorry if i missed it, but what is the new plastic going to look like?

Pappy
04-14-2006, 04:04 PM
We have new white maier on order, other then some new stickers and such it will look as it does now

BlasterEaten250
04-14-2006, 04:05 PM
cool, it looks awesome right now, doesnt need to be changed:cool:

Pappy
04-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah we are kind of partial to white around here:p

YFZ450Ridr
04-14-2006, 04:10 PM
you should give the new plastics a race cut look. awesome build for sure. i bet hes digging the extra width, must be a hole lot more stable.

tp300ex
04-14-2006, 04:12 PM
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
that is one of the sickest bikes i have seen !! good job:macho

Sjorge450R
04-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah we are kind of partial to white around here:p

very nice.... now bring it up to D-6 harescrambles were it is legal to run that.....lol. He would fit with no problems, cause the 90 class runs the adult coarses. Plus I want to see it in person.

Also, how does the white plastic hold up with getting it caked in mud over and over again?

450r51
04-14-2006, 04:16 PM
so pappy whens his first race on that bad boy!

WhiteYFZ
04-14-2006, 05:13 PM
wow.. nice bike.. u biult it quick..

theTman
04-14-2006, 05:40 PM
pappy i have to say, cody is an amazing rider for his age, i can definatly see his name going big in the future

450robot
04-14-2006, 06:24 PM
thats look amazing! awsome work! and awsome skills cody! god praise me if i could jump like that!

but why white? its so... normal, especially since both of your quads are white, why not something new?

Pappy
04-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
very nice.... now bring it up to D-6 harescrambles were it is legal to run that.....lol. He would fit with no problems, cause the 90 class runs the adult coarses. Plus I want to see it in person.

Also, how does the white plastic hold up with getting it caked in mud over and over again?

If D6 would offer us some decent courses we would...

How does it hold up....well this plastic has been in use for over a year

:p

Pappy
04-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Not sure really, white just makes a clean look.

Here is a shot of the rear master cylinder. I had to build a bracket to hold it in place and trim the inner part of the rear plastic so i could access it easily.

theTman
04-14-2006, 06:27 PM
not to interfere...pappy check your pms!