PDA

View Full Version : 2 adjustments on 05 400ex shock

94F450SD
03-15-2006, 07:22 PM
this is on the rear stock shock.

what do they do?the top adjustment screw is for compression damping and the bottom one is for rebound damping.

what does each one do?i did do some tweaking to the compression screw wich made a little better ride but didnt know about the bottom one till i seen it today while straightening my skid plate.i have a big problem with it hitting bumps and bouncing up to fast and hitting me to hard.so would i adjust the bottom screw?and wich way?to H or S?

Chino886
03-16-2006, 05:53 AM
I am pretty sure you want to turn it to the right (tighten), you want to slow the rebound down.

bradley300
03-16-2006, 07:22 AM
it can be confusing because "hard " amd "soft" really isnt a good description of the rebound, "fast and "slow" would have been a better choice of words on hondas part. anyway. hard or fast will make the shock return to normal length after it has been compressed (by a bump or jump) quicker. soft or slow will make it return slower. your hitting big jumps and bouncing up to fast, so your rebound is too fast.

Chino886
03-16-2006, 07:26 AM
I think you said it better that I did Bradley300, I knew what I wanted to say, but just was not very graceful about it!

94F450SD
03-16-2006, 07:40 AM
ok thanks guys.that what i thought but didnt wanna mess with it till i knew for sure

Chino886
03-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Be careful and not to overdo it, on increment at a time, test, then readjust if necessary.

03-16-2006, 10:03 AM
the gt thunder rear linkage will take away alot of that buck you are feeling. it si due to the progression ratio of the rear linkage...changing the settign will help a little, but not much...

Chino886
03-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
the gt thunder rear linkage will take away alot of that buck you are feeling. it si due to the progression ratio of the rear linkage...changing the settign will help a little, but not much...

Very true, but make sure you have your shock valved for the link, otherwise you might make it worse!

94F450SD
03-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad

unfortunately i dont have the money to spend on those parts at the moment.so i gotta make do with what i got for now

94F450SD
03-18-2006, 08:40 PM
ok well i tweaked the bottom adjustment screw.i turn it to the right and it felt worse.turned it to the left and holy cow it rides so much better now!!!!a little more tweaking on both adjustments and i might just get it perfect

03-20-2006, 06:58 AM
i think its the bottom screw you turn in. but you want the screws turnt in as little as possible. the farther in they are the less traction you get and your tires wont stay as planted.