PDA

View Full Version : spark plug check

jeremy_283
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
after riding how long do u guys think i shuld wait before taking out my spark plug to check my jetting?... cuz i dont want any blisters

sandfighterz
03-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by extremejrowe
after riding how long do u guys think i shuld wait before taking out my spark plug to check my jetting?... cuz i dont want any blisters

i would check your plug after a long day of riding or if you ride for a short periods of time check weekly

bwamos
03-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Actually that is a very inaccurate way to check the plug. Not trying to be a butt, at all. It is a decent way to get an overview.. but it's not accurate for testing lean/rich conditions. While opening and closing the carb during normal operation you will hit areas of lean/rich conditions due to starving the engine on decel, and the accelerator pump sending excess fuel into the cylinder during acceleration.

To do a plug check correctly, you warm up the engine on your normal plug. Shut off the motor. Remove old plug, and install a fresh plug. Start it up, and run it at the desired rpm (full throttle of half throttle) range for a good 30 seconds without decelerating. You need to do this under load, (riding it, or on a dyno), an unloaded engine is not an accurate measurement. Once you have reached the 30sec time, you leave your throttle in the same position, and kill the engine with the kill switch, pull in the clutch, use the brakes to slow to a stop, all while maintining throttle position.

Once you are stopped, let the engine cool for a minute, and pull the plug and check it out. It will be HOT, so dont touch it.. ;) Use a pair of pliers or similar to hold it.

Someone may have another way to do it, but I've found this is the most accurate way to get a good plug reading for each rpm range.