PDA

View Full Version : Valve spring compressor

acw592
03-15-2006, 05:38 PM
I was wondering if a regular automotive valve spring compressor would work for removing the valves on my 400EX. The clymer manual shows a screw type spring compressor. I want to replace my valve seals while I have the motor apart. Thanks

GPracer2500
03-15-2006, 11:59 PM
I tried this style (that I picked up at an auto parts store) on 400EX valves and I couldn't get it to work:

http://imageserver.isnweb.com/Kdt2078.jpg

The valve retainers were too small and there wasn't really enough spring for the tool to "hook" onto--the tool just seemed to be made for larger valves.

I'd get a big U-shaped style. You can remove valves without a special tool but getting them re-installed will require the tool (unless there's some trick I don't know about).

To get the valves out: ball up a rag and place it in the dome with the head face down on a solid workbench. Then get a socket the same diameter as the valve retainers. Place the socket on top of a valve retainer and rap it briskly with a mallet. The spring will compress momentarily (pushing the valve into the rag) and the valve retainer cotters will pop out.

acw592
03-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the info. I had seen the style you have and also a clamp type at the auto parts store, but wondered if they both wouldnt be too big. I still need to solvent test them before I take them apart to see if they are leaking at all. If they arent leaking do you generally just need to lap them with lapping compound after cleaning the carbon off. I was burning quite a bit of oil, so I wanted to put new valve seals in it while I was doing the bore and pistons.

pit/wood
03-16-2006, 11:13 AM
there is a smaller version of an auto type compresser. its for small engines like briggs and strattons and such. go to an auto parts store and ask about one,if they say they cant get one they are blowing you off. lislie makes them and just about all parts houses carry or can get lislie brand tools, good investment if you do your own work. When you install your seals the valves should be in place. to prevent damage to the seals a protector is needed to slide the seal over the tip. someone probably makes a protector that size, You can score the seal causing premature failure.take a small length of scotch tape(its very thin) and wrap it around the valve tip then slide you seal over that.use a small socket to push the seal down by hand. I cant remember the size of the one I use. It should contact the seal on the outer edge and not touch the garter (little spring that keeps it tight on the valve).put a little assembly lube on the valve stems before you install them..good luck

witti
03-16-2006, 05:14 PM
On the Z I hear of people making their own from a c-clamp and a deep socket. They find a deep socket that fits good on the spring. Cut a slot about 3/4 of the way up out of one side of the socket. Put one end of the c-clamp on the valve, the other end on the socket on top of the valvespring. Then they use a pick to remove the retainer clips.