PDA

View Full Version : Me and my dad

JRP
03-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Alright well me and my dad never really spend time together... Like he works all week-days and sometimes on saturdays. From 6am to 7pm. Then when he gets home all he does is eat dinner, read newspaper then goes to sleep on the couch. Then on the weekends he jus chills inside and dosent do much. He enjoys relaxing and golfing, when i like riding. He dosent care for riding alot though. So what can we do to jus be closer.(father to son) I know he cant do anything about work since its his 1st priority(sp?) I jus get upset when i go to my friends house(he races dirtbikes) and his dad is there supporting him and helping him.(always hanging out) But with me and my dad, we never do ****. Then my dad can go and take off of work to go to vegas for a week for "work". But when he gets back, he wont even take a day off to spend with us. Maybe its just me, but id like to spend more time with him. What sould i do? Sorry i had to vent

Ruby Soho
03-15-2006, 05:36 PM
work on your quad together? i dunno

think of something fun and then offer him to do it with you

TRX_450
sounds like mine...he does alot of stuff with me but anymore he always thinks hes right and it really pisses me off....as a matter of fact we jus got done fightin over my dog...she got ahold of a bird i shot and ate it....we finally got her and he threw her at me and told me i was a f**cking failure and id never amount to anything....hes so lucky i had ahold of her or i woulda knocked him out

m_townsgreatest
well my parents are splitting and thats part of the problem....my dad works 7 days a week. 12-14 hour days

03-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Buy your self a set of golf clubs and buy him a alll season pass to were ever he likes to golf? A little expensive. Talk to him about golfing, see if he will help you fx your quad.

JRP
03-15-2006, 05:41 PM
well i mean, my dad dosen try to piss me off. Ive tried to talk to him about it, and all he says is "i have to work, its my job". and i agree. I just dont see the big deal to atleast spend 1day with me. Like working on the track and shyt. I help him so much outside, and I help my mom inside the house, and i do A,B honor roll. I use to get C's,D's, but since i wanted to race and do stuff with my dad, i started doing better in school. i dunno what to do.

Ruby Soho
03-15-2006, 05:47 PM
do you have two quads? ask him to ride with you or something

exrider008
03-15-2006, 05:48 PM
you should tell him how u fell and that u want to spend more time together.

JRP
03-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by exrider008
you should tell him how u fell and that u want to spend more time together.

i do man. he jus tells me that he has to work and ****. yea i have a 300ex but he dosent like to ride that much. maybe once a month? I use to play golf, but i suck at it now. I would think that my dad would want to spend time with his son as much as i want to spend time with him. BUT i guess im wrong.

Ghost-Rider
03-15-2006, 05:53 PM
You dont have nething... my dad rides but not as much as me and he works afternoons so i sometimes see him on the weekends but other then that its like i wake up go school ( meanwhile eh sleepin cause gets off work at like midnihgt) so ne way go school come home and he at work so i dont see him all day for the whole week till weekend cause thats the only time im home when he is and im happy HE WANTS to do things with me but .... yea hes knda like wut TRX_450 said sept my dads a work-aholic and perfectonist in 1 so its like he goes insane and gets stressed out if he has nutin to do or fix he allways has 2 fix stuff and its anooying he he thinks hes allways right util i finaly show him then he thinks he came up with idea till i remind him i did but hes cool and stuff and we shoot n crap on weekends so its all good .... jsut tell him u wanna do sum ... sorry ofr long post if it is

JRP
03-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
You dont have nething... my dad rides but not as much as me and he works afternoons so i sometimes see him on the weekends but other then that its like i wake up go school ( meanwhile eh sleepin cause gets off work at like midnihgt) so ne way go school come home and he at work so i dont see him all day for the whole week till weekend cause thats the only time im home when he is and im happy HE WANTS to do things with me but .... yea hes knda like wut TRX_450 said sept my dads a work-aholic and perfectonist in 1 so its like he goes insane and gets stressed out if he has nutin to do or fix he allways has 2 fix stuff and its anooying he he thinks hes allways right util i finaly show him then he thinks he came up with idea till i remind him i did but hes cool and stuff and we shoot n crap on weekends so its all good .... jsut tell him u wanna do sum ... sorry ofr long post if it is

yea, i know what u mean. My dad gets so nervous he will actually throw up. He always has to do it right.

TheFontMaster
03-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Find something that you both have in common. Me and my dad used to work on a model train layout, maybe thats something you and your dad can start for a couple hours each sunday. Our layout is up in our attic, but we haven't worked on it in atleast a year. I been kinda hoping we could finish it before I go off to college. It's a pretty elaborate little set up, and we probably have more than a grand into it.

Ghost-Rider
03-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Or ... well me and my dad have been messin with this idea orself but if you both like to fix things / cars n stuff were probly gonna get like a 1990 stang and make it into a bad***** hot rod :devil: .... but that takes some money ..... but yea like said eailler jsut tell him you want to spend more time or just find some you like to do and get him to notice you doin it and he will decide he likes it and join you ... kidna how quad thing started here....

rmz250
03-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Tell him your not gonna be around forever and that the time he has will go by fast. Trust me it'll make him think.

pantherpit218
03-15-2006, 06:54 PM
TRX_450 sounds like mine...he does alot of stuff with me but anymore he always thinks hes right and it really pisses me off....as a matter of fact we jus got done fightin over my dog...she got ahold of a bird i shot and ate it....we finally got her and he threw her at me and told me i was a f**cking failure and id never amount to anything....hes so lucky i had ahold of her or i woulda knocked him out

Sounds like me and my dad except i would get my *** kicked so when he gets close too it i know too just shut up!!!!

pantherpit218
03-15-2006, 06:54 PM
TRX_450 sounds like mine...he does alot of stuff with me but anymore he always thinks hes right and it really pisses me off....as a matter of fact we jus got done fightin over my dog...she got ahold of a bird i shot and ate it....we finally got her and he threw her at me and told me i was a f**cking failure and id never amount to anything....hes so lucky i had ahold of her or i woulda knocked him out

Sounds like me and my dad except i would get my *** kicked so when he gets close too it i know too just shut up!!!!

HondaRacer300ex
03-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Try being 15, having your dad live in a different state. Seeing him once every 2-3 weeks, and then him leaving again.

This is all from me being over his house everyday.

It sucks..bad.

Mud Roost
03-15-2006, 07:08 PM
when i asked my dad to go riding he told me to go to hell !!

G Impala 63n70
03-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Is ur guy's dad's the kind of dad who will bring his feelings and mood from work, home with him everyday...Sucks and i know im not the only one.

I got nothin to help ya dude, if there was a solution. Id do it too

Mud Roost
03-15-2006, 07:10 PM
theres a solution! donate your quad:p

optikid123
03-15-2006, 08:53 PM
me and my old man disagree on a lot of stuff man, just about everything. you guys should go fishing, i always agree on that with my dad

huntr08
03-15-2006, 09:00 PM
my dads a trucker so i know how u kinda feel, he drives all weekd or 2 weeks in a row then he comes home for a couple days and just lays on the couch or in a layzboy and watches tv... in the summer he is home alot more, so we go fishin and golfin and camping and stuff like that, he takes me racing on sundays when there is races to be raced. but i just told him i wanna do something and that im bored off my arse, he gave me a big project to weld which i love to do and he helped me along the way, that was our big form of bonding other than the other stuff i said before and we are working on finishing our deck

400eXr1d3rZ
03-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacer300ex
Try being 15, having your dad live in a different state. Seeing him once every 2-3 weeks, and then him leaving again.

This is all from me being over his house everyday.

It sucks..bad.

try being 13, being able to see your about once every 5 months. it really sucks, i really miss my dad, i never get to see him anymore. its depressing never getting to see your dad.

Melons
03-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Man I feel sorry for you guys. Your dads need to spend time with you while they can. They need to teach you and show you right from wrong, to be a mentor and show you how to take care of your families when you grow up.

I am a dad my son is 7 and my daughter is 11. I know they are not going to be with me forever. I just bought bombardier 800 max that my son and I ride togther. I was looking for a bike for him tonight on the internet. I started reading some post and came across yours.

Show your dad this thread and all the posts from the guys who miss there dads. And tell him you love him and need to spend a little time with him before you grow up. It will not matter to them in the future how much money they make or stuff they have, they will wish they could go back in time and spend a day with their little boy while he is one.

I will check this post form time to time to see how you are doing.

You guys tell them now that you love them.

03-15-2006, 11:00 PM
at least your dads werent on drugs your whole life growing up and your mom left you and your little brother when you were 5 and 1

mxdad
03-16-2006, 05:06 AM
You said you used to play golf but you suck now. If I were you I would start practicing golf on my own a bit and then ask dad if you can go golfing with him. There is a lot of time on the golf course that can be spent bonding. I went thru this with my old man when I was young. He basically worked and slept like yours but then my parents split when i was 9 and he didn't make much effort to spend any time with me or my brother after that. When I was finally old enough to drive, I got a cheap set of golf clubs and started meeting him on the golf course every weekend and our relationship got way better. you have to realize that your dad has more on his plate than you could ever imagine with work, bills, mom, kids, etc... and you are going to have to bend to his likes to spend time with him but in the long run it will be worth it. hope it all works out for you!!!

Just remember that it doesn't matter how good at golf you are, what matters is that you are doing it together.

Racing Rice
03-16-2006, 06:13 AM
My dad is and has been a truck driver pretty much all of my life. He was never home, because he was always on the road. Now that I am grown and moved out, mom says that he is always saying that he wishes he was able to spend more time with us when we were growing up.

The only thing I can suggest is to get him to take you golfing with him. Use that to start forming a bond. Maybe as you guys grow closer he will start being more receptive to riding ATVs.

Charish the time that you can spend with each other, because once it is gone you will never have that second chance. Also keep in mind that he works so much so that he can provide for his family. As a grown man, I now know how important and hard it is having a family to support. A lot times you end up focusing more on work, then you do on stuff that is more important in life.

JRP
03-16-2006, 01:13 PM
yea, One of the main reasons im going to start racing is so me and my dad can spend more time together. Im hoping that will work.

bulkdriverlp
03-16-2006, 02:54 PM
my dad was a drunk the whole time my mom and him were dating, they got married, had me, mom got tired of getting beat up so she left, he has a son only a few months apart in age from me!!. my stepdad (which i call dad) when i grew up he tought me how to weld, and use torches and use a chainsaw safely. having a dad is very important. i still remember things hes told me when i was 8 or so, im 34 now. i say get some golf clubs and tell him you want him to teach you how to play.

MR.BIG
03-16-2006, 03:20 PM
My dad never really did anything with me growing up either. I have a 2 year old son now and I can't wait until he gets bigger so I can take him riding and stuff like that. I would suggest you show your father this thread and let him read through here and see if it does any good. Good luck!

cjj
03-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey, you dont have it that bad im lucky to talk to my dad every 6 months.:rolleyes:

250exer
03-16-2006, 05:20 PM
JRP

You sound like a mature kid with a good attitude. I have to say I don't understand your dad. I'm a dad with a 24, 21 and 17 year old. There is nothing I would rather do than some activity with my kids.

I think for the most part you've been given the right advice already.
- Find a common interest.
- Schedule time to do things in advance.

Good luck and don't give up.

JRDrider22
03-16-2006, 06:12 PM
About 10 minutes before my pops is asleep on the couch I go over and hit him with a pillow. Just wrestle your old man..its the little things that show your there.

JRP
03-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by 250exer
JRP

You sound like a mature kid with a good attitude. I have to say I don't understand your dad. I'm a dad with a 24, 21 and 17 year old. There is nothing I would rather do than some activity with my kids.

I think for the most part you've been given the right advice already.
- Find a common interest.
- Schedule time to do things in advance.

Good luck and don't give up.

thanks man, I know if i was to show this thread to him, then he would probably get pissed for me asking for help(what to do). So ill jus talk to him when he gets home tonight. I wont see him till 2morrow night.(business dinner) Then on monday hes flyin out to Missouri(sp?), then he will be back on friday, then hes fly out to georgia on monday till wensday. It was all fine untill he took over as general manager of his job. I just dont see why he couldnt wait till i moved outta the house to take over the job?