PDA

View Full Version : 2006 ATVA MX Nationals Round #3 – Gatorback - Amateur Race Highlights

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:03 PM
With two rounds down, the next stop for the series lands in Gainesville, Florida. Racers and fans were welcomed to this years ATVA Gatorback National race with warm weather and plenty of sunshine; perfect weekend’s escape for northern races. With the combination of great weather and a packed house of racers, good racing was insured. This thread will contain a few highlights from the weekend of Amateur racers.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Track conditions made set-up a key role in staying up front in each class. Tacky straight-aways followed by blue grooved corners kept riders in the game. Only light breezes of wind made the Florida sun even hotter for those traveling from snow covered area. The wind did, however, kick up in a short live squall in the rider pit area.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:07 PM
The mini tornado ripped through the trailers tossing around EZ-Ups and throwing around loose items.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:14 PM
As the youth hit the track, so did my jaw. Some of these kids just had me in aw as they hit more jumps than some of the amateur riders. The popular Cobra made its presence as a popular choice for many of the young racers.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Joel Hetrick arrived in Florida to make a comeback in the 90cc Modified (8-15) class after his 5th place finish in Texas. Joel began the year with a win in California and came to Florida with the same determination. Hetrick conquered the class this weekend with first place finishes across the board. With a win in Florida, Joel sits at the top of his class for the overall series points.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:25 PM
#28 Jeffray Rastrelli soared his way to a second place finish in the 90cc Modified class. With a first place finish in Texas and a second in Florida, Jeffray has proved he can be a top contender in the class. While he sits in 4th place in the modified class, he has made his way to a second place score in the 90cc Production Sr. class with an overall win this weekend at the Gatorback.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Glen Massung III made the long trip from Trafford, PA to compete along side Hetrick and Rastrelli in the 90cc Modified class. Glen finished out the weekend with a 3rd place finish. He sits in second place overall just ahead of Jake Brattain. Jake placed 2nd in his first moto, although was unable to make it to the starting gate for his second leaving him with an 18th place finish for the weekend.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:37 PM
The 70cc Shifter class win belonged to Cam Covil of Webster, FL. Cam turned the table on the leaders of the class with his win and sits in a good position for a championship if he continues with the rest of the series.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Brandon Tittle proved this weekend that he is ready to race, entering 3 classes. Brandon beat out Cam Covil in the 70cc shifter class with a moto 2 win, although his moto 1 finish of 8th place settled him into a 3rd place overall. Tittle took 2nd place overall in the 90cc Prodution Jr. Class and finished out his weekend with a first place overall in the 70cc Production class.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Dillon Starks was on top of his game in Texas with a first place overall in the 70c Shifer class. Starks returned to Florida with hopes of a follow up. A 7th place finish in his first moto pulled down his overall from his moto 2 3rd place finish.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Placing just in front of Dillion Starks in the 70cc Shifter class was the #649 of David Beer. David powered his was to a 3rd overall finish. David's finish holds him in second place overall with Pittman just 6 points ahead.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 05:58 PM
#98 Bradley Rose brought his A-Game to the 50cc Production Auto class this weekend. A 4th place finish in his first moto lined him up with all the top runners. Bradley made Tennessee proud with his first place overall finish.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Jon hoover also made the trip from Tennessee. Jon's 7th and 9th place finishes earned him a 10th place overall score in the 50cc Production Auto class.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Reid H. Sanchez came to florida with a 6th place finish in Texas. Reid made came across the finish line in his first moto right where he left off, 6th place. In the final race of the weekend, Reid encounted some problems and was forces to claim his DNF of the series.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:09 PM
You couldn't miss this rider

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:13 PM
David Nevrotski hauled his Cobra all the way from Philadelphia, PA to race this weekends Gatorback national. Making his trip worthwhile, David motored his way to a 5th place finish in the 70cc production auto class. David took a stab at the 70cc shifter class. He pulled in a 4th and an 8th place finish to take an 8th overall.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Bobby Mazey returns to the series after skipping Texas. Mazey comes off a 2nd place finish in the Youth Production class at the Glen Helen Raceway. A moto 1 win and a 4th place 2nd moto earned Mazey a 4th overall score. Bobby holds his 3 place overall class score going into the 4th round of the ATVA MX Series.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Moving onto the larger quads, this weekends entries brought people from all different parts of the country. Although different people, many shared one thing in common...4-stroke production power. A handle full of 2-stroke 250rs were present this weekend along with the dying number of Hybrid 4-stroke quads. Many of these "Out-Dated" past front runners were sitting around the pits for sale.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Another quad that is rarley seen around the pits of the ATVA National series is the cannondale. John M. Cherrick decided to test his C-dale against the mainstream production quads in the Senior 40+ class. John finished out the weekend with a 14th place overall finish.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:37 PM
The Plus 25 is currently being dominated by the Honda rider of Dane C. Heilman. #14 Josh W. Thorgmorton gave Dane a run for his money by taking a moto one win. in the second moto, Dane came out on top to take the overall leaving Josh with a second place finish.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:43 PM
With ITP's new contingency program, the door has been open for many racers to earn an extra buck over the weekend. As you look down the line, you can take notice of ITP's presence on the starting gate. Many riders were sporting ITP's newest addition, the SX tire. The response I got from various racers has been quite well on this new tire.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:48 PM
With the introduction of Team Suzuki's new ride, the LTR, in Glen Helen, many have begun to follow suite already by round #3. The Suzuki is slowly working its way inbetween the YFZ and the 450r. Not only are amateur's making the switch, but Lost Creek Cycles Jason Dunkelberger made the switch.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Not only are the Cannondales, 250rs and Hybrids becoming extinct, but the 400cc quads are also slowly making an exit. Hunter Barton hailing from Van Alystyne, TX made the trip to continue his quest for an Open C championship aboard his Honda 400ex. Hunter sure prove that the 400ex can still be competitive against the new 450s. Hunter scored a 5th place moto 1 finish in the Open C class. A little mishap casued a DNF, placing him in 18th place overall. Hunter also race the 4-Stroke C class and placed 13th overall. Barton leads the points race in the Open C class and holds second place in the 4-Stroke C class.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 07:11 PM
A company based out of Mid-State Pennsylvania, Lost Creek Cycles, sure makes their presence known wherever they go.

If you read my 28th Motorama Coverage, you will remember the name Robert Burbridge. Robert kicked off his season well with his finishes at Motorama.

With local races still holding off for the warmer weather, Robert drove down to Gainesville from Port Jervis, NY. Robert took a stab at the production B class along with the Vetern 30+ class. Falling short of the cut off in the production B class, Burbridge made a comeback in the Vetern 30+ class with a 4th place moto 1 finish. A 15th place finish yeilded him a 13th place overall finish for the weekend.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Team mate, James Miller, was also unable to qualify for the Production B class. James held a consistent pair of 8th place finishes in the Open B class for an 8th place overall.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 07:20 PM
The 4-stroke stock production class overall win was taken by ATK rider Ryan Costello. Class rider, #64 Kyle Dammann had trouble in the first moto, but was able to walk away with the win in the second. The moto 1 win belong to Suzkuki LTR rider Mario A. Diangelo. Unfortunatley, a disqualification drop Mario out of the runnings.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Making the trip from West Virginia, Scott Bennet begins his series tour with his freshened up Blingstar YFZ450. Scott has been practicing at Earlywine's Racing Facility. Taking a short time off, Scott was a little rusty and said that the Gatoback track wore him out. A 10th finish on stock shocks sure isn't to shabby.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Following a weekend of racing, Scott and Brad Phillips of Premis will make their way south for a video shoot for Brads upcoming addition to theCarpe Diem series. Joining them on the shoot will be Scott's friend, Rob Van Winkle aka Vanilla Ice. Rob is an avid Dirt bike rider and will be aiming for a spot in Brads film. Keep an eye out for this release.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 07:40 PM
David Bohnstadt brought out his White Honda 450r from Winter Springs, FL this weekend to race in the Production A and 265A class. David pulled in a 2nd place finish in the 265A class along with an 11th in the Production A class.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 07:55 PM
The Pro-Am Unlimted class houses some of the fastest riders in the world. After three rounds of the ATVA MX series, the man to catch in this class has proven to be the #20 of Josh Upperman. Cleaning up the series thus far, Josh went 1 and 1 for the weekend in this class.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:00 PM
With consistent 2nd place finishes, Cale Downen is just 15 points behind Upperman in the Pro-Am Unlimited class. Cale went 3 and 2 for the 2nd overall. Cale also raced the Pro-Am Production class and ended out the weekend with a 4th overall. Dowen holds 5th overall in the Pro-Am Production class.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Right behind Josh and Cale was the #79 R. Clay Holmes. With a 3rd in the Unlimited class, Holmes wrapped up a 5th overall in the Pro-Am Production class.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Holmes holds the 3rd spot for points in the Pro-Am Unlimted class along with a 4th place in the Pro-Am Production class.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Riders in the Pro-Am Production and Unlimted class found Shane Hitt on the line with them. Round #3 marked Shane's first stab at the pro-am classes. Hitt rounded out the weekend with a 5th in the Pro-Am Unlimited class and a 10th overall in the Pro-Am production.

kfx008
03-15-2006, 08:21 PM
my nmber was 62 i was on a red 450r with legacy graphis

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:22 PM
The Pro-Am Production often gets visitors from the pro class who are looking for some seat time. This weekend the class seen 4 pro riders. Kory Ellis held pushed his yamaha to grab the 2nd overall spot for the weekend.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:25 PM
If you remember a couple posts before, Josh Upperman took the overall just ahead of Kory Ellis. Josh is going to be something to recken with when he gets into the pro class.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Matt White leads the the Pro-Am Production class as we enter round #4 of the ATVA Series. Matt earned the 3rd overall spot for the weekend with hard riding.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Mitch Reynolds went 4 and 11 for a 11th overall performance in the Pro-Am Production class. Mitch holds onto the 7th overall spot in the series points headed into the 4th round. In the Pro-Am Unlimited class, Reynolds marked up a 9th place overall finish. He also holds 5th place in points.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Just in front of Reynolds in the Pro-Am unlimited class was the #122 of Dustin J. Royer. Dustin made the trip from Lousiville, OH to compete aboard his Honda 450r.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Rocco Arno Jr. comes off a 15th place finish in the Pro class in Texas as he made his way to Florida. This weekend, Arno earned himself a 6th place finish in the Pro-Am Unlimited class.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Revealing a near stock Suzuki, Thomas Hager used the power of the new quad to earn himself a 15th place overall finish in the Pro-Am Unlimted class. This is a pretty impressive feat for a quad in the Pro-Am class with stock shocks alone.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Referring back to my Motorama coverage once again, we get another north east rider down in sunny Florida. Steve C. Dibble rode his clean black and white Honda to a 17th overall finish in the Pro-Am Unlimited class. The Pro-Am Production class had Steve finishing out with a 19th overall.

tamehart
03-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Lost Creek Rider, #80 Jeffery Thompson made a good weekend for himself. A 3rd place finish in the 4-Stroke A classes along with a second place finish in the Production A class sure would have pleased myself.

That will be the majority of the pictures I post in this thread. Admin will be adding the race reports along with his own thread with the pro pics.

Ripitupfilms
03-16-2006, 04:57 AM
awesome pics shane... yea how much was that hybrid

QuadRacer041
03-16-2006, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by tamehart
Moving onto the larger quads, this weekends entries brought people from all different parts of the country. Although different people, many shared one thing in common...4-stroke production power. A handle full of 2-stroke 250rs were present this weekend along with the dying number of Hybrid 4-stroke quads. Many of these "Out-Dated" past front runners were sitting around the pits for sale.

i really dont want to turn this into a flame thread but, you cant call a hybrid out dated, you cant even compare stock geometry to an after market crf like that laeger. they might not be popular anymore because all the pro's run production bikes and evryone does what the pro's do, but they are by NO means out dated.

now continue with your great coverage, lol

tamehart
03-16-2006, 06:34 AM
The hybrid was for sale for $10,500 I believe.

All I meant by "out-dated" was that everyone has been switching to the production quads. I always thought "out-dated" meant something wasn't as popular anymore. I wasn't comparing the quads at all.

haf2race
03-16-2006, 08:38 AM
How can I get photos of the Youth Production class?

tamehart
03-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Haf2Race- Were you looking for another rider or ones that were posted in the thread?

Either way- Let me know what rider and # and I will search through my pictures. Admin may have a bunch as well.

QuadRacer041
03-16-2006, 01:35 PM
The hybrid was for sale for $10,500 I believe.

All I meant by "out-dated" was that everyone has been switching to the production quads. I always thought "out-dated" meant something wasn't as popular anymore. I wasn't comparing the quads at all.

to me, out dated means that the stuff they use now is better, like a computer from 5 years ago is outdated compared to computers of today. i dont think the production quads are better then hybrids just more popular, lol
no biggie though

haf2race
03-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Curtis Byars #2 on a yellow 300EX

tamehart
03-16-2006, 04:38 PM
I always looked at it in the way of fashion, based on popularity. I didn't mean that the production quads are better, but more popular.

sorry, I don't have any pics of Curtis Byars. If you will be at another national...I will be sure to look for him and snap a few.

baker250r
03-16-2006, 05:32 PM
is the 250r outdated? :huh

Blingstar450mx
03-16-2006, 06:03 PM
nice pics shane.... just got back from Miami last night. we had a

blast. talk to ya later bro.

Ripitupfilms
03-16-2006, 06:24 PM
the man takes pics for everyone to se and says one little thing that is misenterpreted and every gets on him about it..:huh .. chill he didnt mean harm . hes saying they are not seen at track as much as say a couple years back

kfx008
03-16-2006, 06:31 PM
i guess no 1 got any pics of me

haf2race
03-16-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm a friend of him and his dad. I try and help out when I can. He is down there now in Macon. His dad will like that. Thanks

Elka83
03-16-2006, 08:43 PM
You got a nice pic of me.. Just wondering if you have anymore???? Bobby Mazey #83 youth production

QuadRacer041
03-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by atvracer9m
the man takes pics for everyone to se and says one little thing that is misenterpreted and every gets on him about it..:huh .. chill he didnt mean harm . hes saying they are not seen at track as much as say a couple years back

why dont you relax dude, i didnt jump all over him. he said something that i didnt quite agree with some i questioned him on it. he replied and everything is fine. and he didnt make it clear that they werent seen at the track like a few years back until after my post.:rolleyes:

Ripitupfilms
03-17-2006, 11:49 AM
haha i am relaxed im just stating my opinion like you are... reading words on the internet is hard to interpret the right wway if you dont know the tone the person is saying something in...

Im chill
your chill.
end of story

tamehart
03-18-2006, 08:36 AM
sorry Bobby, I don't have any more of you.

Next race I am headed to is Budds Creek and I will be sure to have a few extra flash cards. Hope to see you guys out there.

450robot
03-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Glen Massung III made the long trip from Trafford, PA to compete along side Hetrick and Rastrelli in the 90cc Modified class. Glen finished out the weekend with a 3rd place finish. He sits in second place overall just ahead of Jake Brattain. Jake placed 2nd in his first moto, although was unable to make it to the starting gate for his second leaving him with an 18th place finish for the weekend.

he lives where i live!!!! awsome!!!!

Evana13
03-19-2006, 05:12 PM
You couldn't miss Brilyn Hetrick on his Eton this weekend. Brilyn sported a red mohawk. Brilyn place 17th overall in the 90 production Sr. class.

thats not brilyn hetrick thats christian horne (sp?) from north carolina

cool_racer67
03-19-2006, 05:21 PM
#67 prod B and 265 B, white yfz w/ confederate flag grafics

mxbrian87
03-23-2006, 09:20 PM
#87 production C, black and red honda

ATPRacing36
03-25-2006, 04:59 AM
Excellent pics and commentary!:cool:

I love the pics of the mini-tornado! I was under one of the awnings that got ripped off a trailer. That was nuts.

Do you have any pics of either of the women's classes?

tamehart
03-25-2006, 10:37 AM
yeah...I got some pics of the women...who were ya looking for?

Soon as I get back home...I will look for everyones pictures that requested.

Evana13
03-28-2006, 04:04 AM
You couldn't miss this rider on his Eton this weekend.

lol thats not an eton either its a kasea

Ripitupfilms
03-28-2006, 07:05 AM
who cares be glad he took awesome pics

dirttrack86
03-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Awsome Pics and Great, Great commentary. Please keep up the good work!

P.S. I was right in the middle of that mini tornado, and let me tell you it was wicked.

tamehart
03-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the props everyone and everyone that appreciates the work that all everyone puts into this site.

Andrew- How is your quad??? Hit me up on AOL

sorry cool_racer i didn't find any pictures of you

tamehart
03-29-2006, 10:58 PM
one more of #87

mxbrian87
04-03-2006, 07:24 PM
haha, i think thats #87 in production B, ive got the Iron cross bumper and blingstar graphics

kfx008
04-10-2006, 02:09 PM
any pics of # 62 265 c thanks

kfx008
05-21-2006, 08:39 PM
did any body get any pictures of me? 62 265 c class red 450r with legacy atv graphics

660rider0_3
03-07-2007, 07:58 PM
are they having the race there this year, when is it? i havent heard anything about it this year.i just read sothing a min ago that said the race was somewhere elese in florida.let me know asap.i think its like this weekend or the next